How to Write Out a 2 x 3 Matrix in Linear Algebra?

In summary, the conversation discussed the creation of a 2 x 3 matrix using matrix algebra. The matrix was defined by a_ij = 2i + j, with i and j corresponding to the ith row and jth column. The process of evaluating the function at a specific position in the matrix was compared to evaluating a regular function. The correct matrix was determined by plugging in the appropriate values for i and j.
lolimcool
hey guys, so I am new to linear algebra and is just learning matrix algebra

let A = a_ij be a 2 x 3 matrix, defined by a_ij = 2i + j. Write out A

would it just be
|1 2 3|
|4 5 6|

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No.
Remember that the i and j in your a_ij correspond to the ith row and the jth column.

what does that mean?
as in what does the 2i + j do to the function?

It just like evaluating a regular function such as
f(x) = x^2 + 6x + 4 at x = 2.

So if you want to find the entry in the ith row and jth column then you evaluate
a[tex]_{i,j}[/tex] = 2i + j at the ith row and jth column.

ok i don't know if I am following you
would it be something like this?
|3 4 5|
|5 6 7|

and if it is i still don't get it :S

Last edited:
Thats exactly right!
If you don't get it then how did you get the right answer?

i think i get, would it be like this
|(2(1) + 1) (2(1) + 2) (2(1) + 3) |
|(2(2) + 1) (2(2) + 2) (2(2) + 3| so basically you plug the i and j value depending which position in the matrix you are in?

Last edited:
exactly!

1. What is "Matrix A = a_ij problem"?

The "Matrix A = a_ij problem" refers to a common problem in linear algebra where a given matrix A is defined by its entries aij. This problem often involves finding the determinant, inverse, and other properties of the matrix.

2. How do you solve the "Matrix A = a_ij problem"?

There are various methods for solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem" depending on the specific properties and dimensions of the matrix. Some common techniques include using row operations, finding the inverse, and using properties of determinants.

3. What are the applications of solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem"?

Solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem" has many real-world applications, including in computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It can also be used in solving systems of equations and analyzing data in statistics.

4. What are the challenges of solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem"?

One of the main challenges of solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem" is the potential for errors in calculations due to the large number of entries and operations involved. It can also be challenging to determine the most efficient method for solving a specific problem.

5. Are there any tips for solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem" effectively?

Some tips for solving the "Matrix A = a_ij problem" effectively include practicing with smaller matrices, using shortcuts and techniques for simplifying calculations, and checking your work for errors. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of the properties and operations involved in solving these types of problems.