1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing three-fold summation over n_x, n_y, n_z as single summation over n?

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On this page they're going from a three-fold summation to a single summation (cubed) (equation 58-59), something like this:

[itex]
    \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-a\left(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2\right)} = \left( \sum_n e^{-an^2} \right)^3
    [/itex], where [itex]a = \frac{h^2}{8kTmL^2}[/itex]

Now, I've run into a similar problem, only I have the square root of the n's, like this:

[itex]
    Z = \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-c\sqrt{n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2}}
    [/itex], where [itex]c = \frac{hc}{2kTL}[/itex]

Could anyone show me how they do the first transition, or some hints to how I should start when trying to do a similar transition on my equation? I'm supposed to show that the sum equals

[itex]
    Z(\text{high T}) = 8\pi L^3\left(\frac{kT}{hc}\right)^3
    [/itex]

in the high-temperature limit. I know that I can approximate the sum with an integral, but I need to convert it to a single-sum first.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]
    \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-a\left(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2\right)} = \left( \sum_n e^{-an^2} \right)^3 = \left(\int_0^\infty e^{-an^2} dn\right)^3
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \int_0^\infty e^{-ax}dx = \frac{1}{a}
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \int_0^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried letting [itex]\sqrt{n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2} = n[/itex], but then I end up with just [itex]n[/itex] and not [itex]n^2[/itex] in the exponent, and then I don't get the factor [itex]\pi[/itex] when solving the integral (see the two last equations for solutions to the integrals).

I might be going at this problem all wrong, so I'm open to all suggestions!

EDIT: Just found the solution myself. I'll show it in detail if anyone wants it, just ask and I'll write it out here.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted