1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bose condensation in a harmonic potential

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a gas of N weakly interacting bosons trapped in a 3d harmonic potential ##V = \frac{1}{2}mw^2 (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)##. The single particle quantum states have energies ##\epsilon = \hbar w (n_x + n_y + n_z + 3/2)##.

Calculate the total number of quantum states with energies less than ##\epsilon## and from this deduce that the density of states ##g(\epsilon)## is $$g(\epsilon) \approx \frac{\epsilon^2}{2 (\hbar w)^3} \,\,\,\text{for large}\,\,\,\,\epsilon$$
    Hint: ##\epsilon## is a function of ##\mathbf n## rather than just the magnitude ##n##. A surface of constant energy is a plane in ##n## space and the number of states with energy less than ##\epsilon## is given by the volume of a tetrahedron.
    2. Relevant equations

##V = \int_0^{\epsilon_{max}} g(\epsilon) d \epsilon##

3. The attempt at a solution

A plane intersecting the ##n_x, n_y ## and ##n_z## axes form a tetrahedron with the sides the ##n_x - n_y## plane, ##n_y - n_z## plane and so on. The volume of such a tetrahedron is ##V = n_x n_y n_z/6##. Therefore per the hint, $$\frac{n_x n_y n_z}{6} = \int_0^{\epsilon_{max}} g(\epsilon) d \epsilon = G(\epsilon_{max}) - G(0)$$ I am just a bit unsure of how to progress. Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

nx, ny, and nz are variables. What are the values of these variables in your expression for V?

4. Feb 10, 2015 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi TSny,
    I could reexpress any one of ##n_x, n_y## or ##n_z## using the equation for the energy ##\epsilon = \hbar w(n_x + n_y + n_z + 3/2)## to reduce the number of variables by one. Is it what you meant? The plane in n-space can be written as ##n_x + n_y + n_z = C## for C a constant given by rearranging the above equation. Thanks.

5. Feb 10, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The volume of the tetrahedron in n-space should depend only on C. Can you express V in terms of C?

6. Feb 10, 2015 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes sorry, I was confusing my own notation. The volume is ##C^3/6## and so we have the integral $$\frac{C^3}{6} = \int_0^{\epsilon_{max}} g(\epsilon) d \epsilon = G(\epsilon_{\max}) - G(0) = \frac{1}{6} \left(\frac{\epsilon_{max}}{\hbar w} - \frac{3}{2}\right)^3$$ Then $$\frac{d}{d\epsilon} \left(G(\epsilon) -G(0)\right) = \frac{d}{d\epsilon} \frac{1}{6} \left(\frac{\epsilon}{\hbar w} - \frac{3}{2}\right)^3 \approx \frac{\epsilon^2}{2 (\hbar w)^3}$$ Is this along the right lines? I feel like I have sort of fudged the result in getting ##g(\epsilon)##, in particular how I can neglect further terms in the expansion of the square at the end and in going from ##G(\epsilon_{max}) - G(0)## to ##d/d\epsilon (G(\epsilon) - G(0))##.

7. Feb 10, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good.

##\epsilon## is assumed "large". Presumably, that means relative to ##\hbar \omega##. So, you can neglect the 3/2 relative to ##\epsilon/(\hbar \omega)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted