Writing Numbers: Tips & Tricks

In summary, formatting fractions in LaTeX can be achieved by typing in [tex]\frac{numerator}{denominator}[/tex]. The forward slash is used to separate the numerator and denominator, and using a backslash instead can cause formatting errors. Additionally, typing in commands within commands can also cause formatting issues.
NotMrX
Hello,

How do you all make your numbers look so nice with a horizonatal line between the fraction? I tried inserting some from copy and paste and it lost all the subscripts. Is there a way to do this on a computer without saving capabilities?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to format a fraction, type in [ tex ]\frac{1}{2}[ /tex ], without the spaces, of course.

This ends up looking like [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex].

I was looking at the tutorial and it seemed that sometimes next to the tex it used forward slash and sometimes it used back slash. Does it make a difference?

I am just trying some stuff here:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\int[/tex]
[tex]\intX^2dx[/tex]
[tex]\lambda[/tex]

I wrote the following without the space
[ tex]\int\int\frac{G\lambdaY}{\sqrt[3]{Y^2+(x-r)^2}}dx\lamda\dr[/tex]

this was the command I typed in trying to get if I is the integral sign
I I [G*(m/L)*Y/(Y^2+(x-r)^2)^(3/2)*dx*m/L*dr

I guess that is a long math sentence to start with but I don't see the error but the commands (backward slashes \) within themselves seem to mess up. I don't if it is possible to change the tutorial but it use both the forward and backward slash in [ /tex] and there seems to be an extra slash in the fraction command.

Here is what was produced from my latex entry:
[tex]\int\int\frac{G\lambdaY}{\sqrt[3]{Y^2+(x-r)^2}}dx\lamda\dr[/tex]

1. Why is it important to write numbers correctly?

Writing numbers correctly is important for clarity and consistency in communication. It helps readers easily understand and interpret numerical information, which is especially important in scientific writing where accuracy is crucial.

2. When should I write out numbers and when should I use numerals?

Generally, numbers below 10 should be written out (e.g. three, seven) while numbers 10 and above should be expressed as numerals (e.g. 15, 250). However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as when writing a specific measurement or statistic. It's important to follow the style guidelines of your specific field or publication.

3. Are there any rules for writing large numbers?

Yes, for numbers with five or more digits, use a comma to separate every three digits from the right (e.g. 10,000). For numbers with decimals, use a period (e.g. 3.14). Additionally, when using scientific notation, the number should be written as a coefficient between 1 and 10 multiplied by a power of 10 (e.g. 2.5 x 105).

4. Should I spell out ordinal numbers (e.g. first, second, third) or use numerals?

In scientific writing, ordinal numbers should be expressed as numerals (e.g. 1st, 2nd, 3rd). However, for more formal writing, such as in a thesis or dissertation, it is generally preferred to spell out ordinal numbers (e.g. first, second, third).

5. Are there any exceptions to these rules for writing numbers?

Yes, there are exceptions and variations to these rules depending on the specific style guide being followed. For example, some style guides may require all numbers to be written as numerals, while others may have different rules for expressing large numbers. It's important to always check the guidelines for your specific field or publication to ensure consistency and accuracy in your writing.