1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing with Numbers

1. Aug 11, 2006 #1

How do you all make your numbers look so nice with a horizonatal line between the fraction? I tried inserting some from copy and paste and it lost all the subscripts. Is there a way to do this on a computer without saving capabilities?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2006 #2
  4. Aug 11, 2006 #3
    If you want to format a fraction, type in [ tex ]\frac{1}{2}[ /tex ], without the spaces, of course.

This ends up looking like [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex].
  5. Aug 12, 2006 #4
    I was looking at the tutorial and it seemed that sometimes next to the tex it used forward slash and sometimes it used back slash. Does it make a difference?

I am just trying some stuff here:
  6. Aug 12, 2006 #5
    I wrote the following without the space
    [ tex]\int\int\frac{G\lambdaY}{\sqrt[3]{Y^2+(x-r)^2}}dx\lamda\dr[/tex]

this was the command I typed in trying to get if I is the integral sign
    I I [G*(m/L)*Y/(Y^2+(x-r)^2)^(3/2)*dx*m/L*dr

I guess that is a long math sentence to start with but I don't see the error but the commands (backward slashes \) within themselves seem to mess up. I don't if it is possible to change the tutorial but it use both the forward and backward slash in [ /tex] and there seems to be an extra slash in the fraction command.

Here is what was produced from my latex entry:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?