Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X is any topological space

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    How can I show that [tex]F:X\times I\to I[/tex] given by [tex]F(x,t)=(1-t)f(x)+tg(x)[/tex] is continuous, given that [tex]f:X\to I[/tex] and [tex]g:X\to I[/tex] are continuous (here I is the unit interval [0,1]). It seems that F is continuous, but I want to show that explicitly. Any help appreciated! X is any topological space.
    (I wasn't sure what section to put this in - sorry!)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The inverse image of an open set is open...

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what do you know about continuous functions? compositions of them are still continuous, as are sums, products,....

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    I'm willing to take that compositions of continuous functions are continuous without proof. I know that sums and products are continuous, but only when the domain is some subset of R^n. Does this carry over to any domain? If that's the case, then there is nothing to show.
    I guess my main hangup is determining the inverse image of say (a,b). I'm going to try a specific example and see if that helps.

6. Mar 8, 2005 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

think about how you prove sums and products are continuous.

i.e. the addition and multiplication mapp from RxR to R are cotinuous. then if you have two continuous maps f:X-->R and g:X-->R you get one continuous map

(f,g):X-->RxR, and you comkpose with addition or multiplication. so it has nothing to do with the domain of the functions.

i agree there is nothing to do for your problem. but it can only be good to look at examples.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook