Is it Possible to Program a Chess Player That Can Never Be Defeated?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of creating a chess computer that can never lose. However, it is mentioned that current computers do not have the capability to handle the vast number of chess positions. It is also noted that there is a distinct difference between human chess players and computer chess programs, with computers excelling in tactical decisions but struggling with positional decisions. The conversation also touches on the importance of calculation and the challenge of programming in positional ideas. Additionally, the concept of 'positioning' in chess is discussed, with various factors such as controlling squares, rows, and columns, being considered.
Moses
Hey,
Well, all of us know that with a bit of concetration at the X-O game you can never lose a game: either draw or to win if the other person mis-put his sign.

But does anybody think that the same will be for the chess game..checkers..cards...etc in a very,very very complex way..but still it could happened [Well, the question might sound non-sense and pointless..i know...but i am trying to programa chess player that never can get defeated..andi do not care -until the moment- if he could win- i do not want to waste hours in programming impossible thingy!] "Copy Right reserved for Moses designing company :biggrin: "
\

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Chess is deterministic, so with infinite compute power, it should be possible to explore the entire chess state tree, and consequently make a 'perfect' chess player. However, the number of positions is, if I recall correctly, something like 10^40 which is outseide the capability of current computers to handle.

Chess programs use different tactics. You might want to google for 'computer chess' for more information.

Being an avid chessplayer, I know that there is a DISTINCT difference between human chess players and computer chess programs. Chess computers never, ever make tactical mistakes, since they can see so far ahead. However, chess computers are largely incapable of making positional decisions; something it seems only humans can do. This was exemplified very well by the Kasparov vs Deep Fritz(Computer) match that was on espn within the last year. In one of the games, Kasparov tied the computer up so badly that the computer could not see a simple positional pawn move, and instead started wasting moves/tempos by moving the same piece back and forth. Also, chess computers value capturing things more than improving their positions. In order to program a chess computer that can never lose, you would have to be a super grandmaster and program in complex positional ideas. This, combined with perfect calculation, would be what you want.

Well, thank you both for help,

I noticed the problem that PC's has about the "position" thingy in chess ususally [BTW: I am a Chess Master..I play against some programs and i figured out knwoing there tree that with some sets of movements...i can ruined him always and in almost the same moves every time...]

In my programming process...i am trying to start from the end of the game: I am trying to make the PC tactic is to reach the end of the game with very few peices to him and the opponenet...then by that "the position trick" will be much easier for the pc to catch...[For example: if you have a king and the com has a King and a Castle...whereever your peices and his peieces are "if it is an ok program" he can always wins this situation...not tie because of bad moves..] I will try to make the PC strategy is to "destroy many peices" first even he will lost many peices...then the reasl game will start!

I am using now lost of probabilities and mathematics processsing...and the sad thigny is the most important steps in the calculation i have to do them... :cry: :cry: :cry: stupid machines!

kreil said:
Being an avid chessplayer, I know that there is a DISTINCT difference between human chess players and computer chess programs. Chess computers never, ever make tactical mistakes, since they can see so far ahead. However, chess computers are largely incapable of making positional decisions; something it seems only humans can do. This was exemplified very well by the Kasparov vs Deep Fritz(Computer) match that was on espn within the last year. In one of the games, Kasparov tied the computer up so badly that the computer could not see a simple positional pawn move, and instead started wasting moves/tempos by moving the same piece back and forth. Also, chess computers value capturing things more than improving their positions. In order to program a chess computer that can never lose, you would have to be a super grandmaster and program in complex positional ideas. This, combined with perfect calculation, would be what you want.

It all depends on how the board's 'score' is calculated. It's very easy to just add up the number of peices, but there are many many many ways for a board to be 'positioned' well. The trick is finding some common factor (like holding the center) that makes positions "good".

Alkatran said:
It all depends on how the board's 'score' is calculated. It's very easy to just add up the number of peices, but there are many many many ways for a board to be 'positioned' well. The trick is finding some common factor (like holding the center) that makes positions "good".

Well, there is the "coloumn and raws" rule as well, which it sees how much squares,raws,colums you controlled and how they are from the opponent king, the diagonal lines here has a special case..since not all diagonal lines has the same length at chess boards...

1. What is the objective of the X-O game and chess?

The objective of the X-O game is to be the first player to get three of their symbols (either X or O) in a row, either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. The objective of chess is to put the opponent's king in a position where it cannot escape capture, also known as checkmate.

2. How many players can participate in the X-O game and chess?

The X-O game can be played by two players, with one player using X and the other using O. Chess can be played by two players as well, with each player controlling 16 pieces on a 64-square board.

3. What are the basic rules of the X-O game and chess?

The basic rule of the X-O game is that players take turns placing their symbols on an empty space on the grid until one player gets three in a row. In chess, players take turns moving their pieces according to specific rules, with the ultimate goal of capturing the opponent's king.

4. Can the X-O game and chess be played competitively?

Yes, both the X-O game and chess can be played competitively at various levels, from local tournaments to international championships. There are also professional players and organizations dedicated to these games.

5. Are there any strategies or tactics involved in playing the X-O game and chess?

Yes, both games require strategic thinking and planning in order to outmaneuver or outsmart the opponent. In the X-O game, players must anticipate and block their opponent's moves while trying to create a winning pattern. In chess, players must plan their moves ahead and adapt to the opponent's actions in order to gain an advantage.