Why do masses cancel out when calculating y-components of momentum?

• Thread starter oridniv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, Y-components of momentum are the vertical component of an object's momentum, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity in the y-direction. The unit for Y-components of momentum is kg*m/s and it is important to consider because it affects an object's overall motion and can impact the amount of force needed to change its trajectory. Y-components of momentum are closely related to force, velocity, acceleration, and kinetic energy, and are crucial in understanding angular momentum and rotational motion.
oridniv
Why is it that in many momentum questions, the mass gets canceled out when calculating y-components of momentum? All it says in my textbook is that they cancell out since the colliding objects are going in opposite directions, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you type exactly what your book says. I think you might be misreading it.

nm, i misread something, i figured it out though so don't worry

1. What are Y-components of momentum?

Y-components of momentum refer to the component of momentum that is in the vertical direction, also known as the y-axis. It is a vector quantity that describes the motion of an object in the y-axis.

2. How do you calculate Y-components of momentum?

To calculate the Y-components of momentum, you need to first determine the mass and velocity of the object in the y-direction. Then, multiply the mass by the velocity to get the momentum in the y-direction.

3. What is the unit for Y-components of momentum?

The unit for Y-components of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s). This is the same unit as momentum in the x-direction and overall momentum.

4. Why is it important to consider Y-components of momentum?

Y-components of momentum are important because they can affect the overall motion of an object. Ignoring the Y-components of momentum can lead to inaccurate predictions of an object's trajectory and can also affect the amount of force needed to change its motion.

5. How does Y-components of momentum relate to other physics concepts?

Y-components of momentum are closely related to other physics concepts such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in calculating the kinetic energy of an object in motion. Additionally, Y-components of momentum are a key component in understanding the principles of angular momentum and rotational motion.