Y''=-(t^2)y differential equation

In summary, The speaker was looking for a solution to a differential equation and found an exact series solution through perturbation theory. However, this solution was not practical for computation. They were wondering if anyone knew of a special function that could solve the equation. Another person then suggested using parabolic cylinder functions or modifying the equation to a modified Bessel equation for x, whose solutions are modified Bessel functions.
HomogenousCow
Hello I was recently working on a problem where I had to solve the differential equation in the title ( where y is a function of t), I found an exact series solution through peturbation theory in which a pattern emerged between successive orders.
However, the series solution is not very useful for computation and I would like to ask if anyone knew a special function which solved this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also use the change of variable t^2=x, the resulting differential equations is a modified Bessel equation for x whose solutions are modified Bessel Functions.

FAQ: Y''=-(t^2)y differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to describe relationships between variables in terms of their rates of change.

2. What is the meaning of "Y''=-(t^2)y?

This differential equation represents a second-order linear homogeneous differential equation, where y is the unknown function and t is the independent variable. The negative sign indicates that the rate of change of y is inversely proportional to the square of t.

3. How do you solve "Y''=-(t^2)y?

To solve this differential equation, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The general solution will include two arbitrary constants.

4. What are the applications of "Y''=-(t^2)y?

This type of differential equation can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and oscillating systems.

5. What is the relationship between "Y''=-(t^2)y and harmonic motion?

When t represents time, "Y''=-(t^2)y can be used to model a simple harmonic oscillator, where y represents the displacement from equilibrium and t represents time. This means that the solution to this differential equation can describe the motion of a mass attached to a spring.