Differential Equation Solutions - y'' = -y & y' = y

In summary, the differential equation y'' = -y has a solution of y = A*sin(x) + B*cos(x) for constants A and B. This is not the only solution, as every differential equation has n independent solutions. Another popular way to write the solution is y = A*sin(x + phi) where phi is the phase constant. For the differential equation y' = y, the only solution is y = Ce^x for a constant C. This solution is simpler and more obvious compared to the solution for y'' = -y.
snipez90
Hey guys, I was going through my differential equations packet and an example exercise illustrated that the differential equation y'' = -y has solution y = A*sin(x) + B*cos(x) for constants A and B. I understand why this is true but I was wondering if this was the only solution or at the very least if is most popular one. This also leads me to wonder if the diff eq y' = y has y = Ce^x as its only solution for a constant C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is the only solution.
Yes, Ce^x is the only solution of y' = y.

snipez90 said:
Hey guys, I was going through my differential equations packet and an example exercise illustrated that the differential equation y'' = -y has solution y = A*sin(x) + B*cos(x) for constants A and B. I understand why this is true but I was wondering if this was the only solution or at the very least if is most popular one. This also leads me to wonder if the diff eq y' = y has y = Ce^x as its only solution for a constant C.

Every differential equation

[tex]y^{(n)}(x)=f\left(x,y(x),\dots,y^{(n-1)}(x)\right)[/tex]

has n independent solutions. Thus

[tex]y''(x)+y(x)=0 \Rightarrow y(x)=A\,\cos x+B\,\sin x \rightarrow \text{General Solution}[/tex]

[tex]y'(x)-y(x)=0 \Rightarrow y(x)=C\,e^x \rightarrow \text{General Solution}[/tex]

snipez90 said:

there is another popular but completely equivalent way to write the solution: [tex] y= A sin (x + \phi) [/tex] where phi is the phase constant. (Of course, you may as well use cos instead of sine). That's a form often used in phyiscs because it shows clearly that the solution is a simple sinusoidal with phase constant and amplitude determined by the initial conditions.

whoa, thanks for the replies. the solution to y'' = -y seems much less obvious than y' = y. very nice result though.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to model and analyze real-life systems and phenomena.

2. What is the solution to y'' = -y?

The solution to this differential equation is a function that, when differentiated twice, results in a negative of itself. This type of function is known as a sinusoidal function, such as sine or cosine.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

4. Can you provide an example of a solution to y' = y?

One example of a solution to this differential equation is y = ce^x, where c is a constant. This solution can be verified by taking the first derivative, which results in y' = ce^x, and the second derivative, which also results in y'' = ce^x, satisfying the original equation.

5. What is the significance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in science as they allow us to mathematically model and analyze real-world phenomena and systems. They are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics to understand and make predictions about complex systems.