Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y'' = -y

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, I was going through my differential equations packet and an example exercise illustrated that the differential equation y'' = -y has solution y = A*sin(x) + B*cos(x) for constants A and B. I understand why this is true but I was wondering if this was the only solution or at the very least if is most popular one. This also leads me to wonder if the diff eq y' = y has y = Ce^x as its only solution for a constant C.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes that is the only solution.
    Yes, Ce^x is the only solution of y' = y.
  4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    Every differential equation

has n independent solutions. Thus

[tex]y''(x)+y(x)=0 \Rightarrow y(x)=A\,\cos x+B\,\sin x \rightarrow \text{General Solution}[/tex]

[tex]y'(x)-y(x)=0 \Rightarrow y(x)=C\,e^x \rightarrow \text{General Solution}[/tex]
  5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

there is another popular but completely equivalent way to write the solution: [tex] y= A sin (x + \phi) [/tex] where phi is the phase constant. (Of course, you may as well use cos instead of sine). That's a form often used in phyiscs because it shows clearly that the solution is a simple sinusoidal with phase constant and amplitude determined by the initial conditions.
  6. Jan 13, 2008 #5
    whoa, thanks for the replies. the solution to y'' = -y seems much less obvious than y' = y. very nice result though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?