Yellow Pages: Killer of trees.

• Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trees
In summary: Not sure what you're asking, but I think it would be extensive to answer.In summary, some people don't like yellow pages because they are a source of pollution and they are a waste of resources.
jwxie
What more can I say about this picture?

2mzgk5k.jpg

Man, I suppose YP makes a lot money with those numbers in the book.

Anyway. I find YP useful when I need that to explain the friction and Newton's second law.

... LOL

Physics news on Phys.org
It was bad enough when there was just one yellow pages publisher, we have several here! It seems every couple months another one appears on my doorstep. Sigh.

When your electricity is out, if your internet is out, if your computer is dead, if you are one of the many millions that don't have internet. You need a phone book.

How much wood is burned in fireplaces for fun each year? If you don't want to use it for phone numbers, it can be used as toilet paper.

Evo. Good point. But, is there a reason why we HAVE to receive it? The distribution is the same as distributing a flyer, of course.

I just received one last week. I threw it into the recycling trash.
Actually, the interesting point is not always about trees. Which one causes more carbon wastes? Printing, or Internet?

jwxie said:
Evo. Good point. But, is there a reason why we HAVE to receive it? The distribution is the same as distributing a flyer, of course.

I just received one last week. I threw it into the recycling trash.
Actually, the interesting point is not always about trees. Which one causes more carbon wastes? Printing, or Internet?
Good question, a one time printing or all of the hardware, software, the networks, the electricity, the manpower, etc... all involved in the internet, hard to say. Behind what you see on the internet is probably a ton of printed paper to boot.

Personally, I'd like to see the phone books printed and delivered by request only.

Frankly, yellow pages and the like tend to be produced from commercially farmed poppler, and don't really have an effect on old growth or other valuable trees. The issue would be their processing into paper, distribution (fuel, water, waste, and fuel to transport), and the plastic used to wrap the pallets. At this point, if you have a phone you can call information, and most places where individual internet is not a thing have internet at libraries and cafes. I don't see power outages as being sufficient justification for these little books.

Remember, this is all about ad revenue, so it's not as though most of these are being sent to rural Indonesia, rather they're just plastered everywhere. I think Evo has it right, but that would destroy the profit motive to make them I'd guess.

they're farmed from organic renewable resources, and can even be recycled. i like them.

i can also find stuff faster, and not every business (including some especially useful ones) are on the internet.

Proton Soup said:
they're farmed from organic renewable resources, and can even be recycled. i like them.

i can also find stuff faster, and not every business (including some especially useful ones) are on the internet.

Yeah, but you can't recycle the water used in the process (forever at least), or the fuel for transport. You may have noticed, but those suckers are heavy! I don't think it's worth it, but to be fair it's not exactly Chernobyl.

Evo said:
If you don't want to use it for phone numbers, it can be used as toilet paper.

(chuckle) It's not a Sears and Roebuck, but I suppose that's more useful than using it as landfill.

Hmm Remembers me of an interesting observation. I was in Fort Worth Tx for a meeting in the mid 1990s sometimes, when it became apparent that I had to postpone my flight back to The Netherlands. So I had to phone the air line to arrange that and quickly since time was a bit critical for that. So after a lot of time consuming search work, I finally got a hold of the Yellow Pages. So I opened it at the beginning for the air lines, and found myself in the air conditioners section, -Ah close, 'air' already- so I turned the page, air conditioners, next page, air conditioners, okay several pages at a time then, air conditioners, It seemed to be somewhere halfway the book that finally the air lines popped up, many costly minutes later it seemed. Luckily I was still in time but it was close.

Let's take things out of context and see what fun we can have.

Evo said:
How much wood is burned in fireplaces for fun each year? If you don't want to use it for phone numbers, it can be used as toilet paper.

OUCH!

Well it's the same with these as it is with unsolicited "junk" mail or flyers - I don't understand why most municipalities have yet to just ban flyers and make a program where phone books are by request only.

1. What is the environmental impact of Yellow Pages on trees?

Yellow Pages are estimated to be responsible for the destruction of 19 million trees each year. This is due to the production of the paper used to print the directories, as well as the energy and resources required for transportation and distribution.

2. Are there any alternatives to using Yellow Pages?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using Yellow Pages. Many people now use online directories or search engines to find local businesses. Some companies also offer opt-out programs where you can request to not receive a physical copy of the directory.

3. How does Yellow Pages contribute to deforestation?

Yellow Pages contribute to deforestation by requiring large amounts of paper to be produced and used for printing the directories. This paper is often sourced from unsustainable logging practices, leading to the destruction of forests and their ecosystems.

4. What can be done to reduce the environmental impact of Yellow Pages?

One way to reduce the environmental impact of Yellow Pages is to opt-out of receiving a physical copy of the directory. Another solution is to switch to online directories or search engines for finding local businesses. Additionally, companies can use more sustainable materials and practices in the production and distribution of the directories.

5. Is Yellow Pages taking any steps to become more environmentally friendly?

Yes, Yellow Pages has implemented some measures to become more environmentally friendly. They now offer opt-out programs, use more sustainable materials in their production, and have switched to digital versions of the directories. However, these efforts may not be enough to mitigate the environmental impact of the directories entirely.