Science Advisor
- 14,927
- 7,637
Have you noticed that most (advanced) books on mathematics have yellow covers? Why is that?
Maybe it is because the target audience likes uniformity? Otherwise, I don't know how to demystify this issue.Demystifier said:Perhaps, but Springer publishes also books on other branches of science, and those do not seem to be of such a uniform color.
mathwonk said:i have about 200 math books on my shelf, of which 38 are yellow, all from springer. in the old days it was sometimes suggested to traveling mathematicians that to be recognized at airports by people meeting us, we should carry a yellow springer book in hand! as a remark on the imprecise meaning of "advanced", it is, with some exceptions, the less advanced ones (graduate level) that are yellow, the more advanced ones (research level) being a dull orange.
Geofleur said:I always want to read books from start to finish, but I often end up doing just what mathwonk describes.
Geofleur said:Perhaps it's helpful to share my own experiences, too (I read an awful lot of both math and physics):
I always want to read books from start to finish, but I often end up doing just what mathwonk describes. The books that are most valuable to me, math or physics, I end up eventually completing, but not in order. I read and re-read this section and that, depending on what I'm working on at the time, and supplement with other readings when I get stuck. Knowledge is more like a web than a straight line.
The skipping around thing is, in my case, due to the practical needs of research. It's also fun, though, to read things that have nothing to do with a particular problem. And then I tend to read things in order. I read Landau and Lifshitz's Mechanics that way (and what a book!). Finally, I find it very pleasant, once I've seen everything in a book, and if it's well written, to go back and read it from start to finish.
mathwonk said:i have about 200 math books on my shelf, of which 38 are yellow, all from springer. in the old days it was sometimes suggested to traveling mathematicians that to be recognized at airports by people meeting us, we should carry a yellow springer book in hand! as a remark on the imprecise meaning of "advanced", it is, with some exceptions, the less advanced ones (graduate level) that are yellow, the more advanced ones (research level) being a dull orange.
mathwonk said:i have almost never read a book front to back
Is it measure theory by Bogachev, I have it in my library?Bipolar Demon said:Almost every yellow maths book has a springer tag on it. I have one from the libray which is 2/3 yellow but 1/3 blue.
it is a mystery
MathematicalPhysicist said:Is it measure theory by Bogachev, I have it in my library?
I think physicists actually like numbers more than mathematicians do (except number theorists, of course).vanhees71 said:In Germany phone books are yellow. Maybe mathematicians like yellow covers, because there are so many numbers in phone books?![]()