Yield stress vs critical load stress

In summary, Euler's theory states that the critical stress of a beam is always greater than the yield stress of the beam. The critical stress is the maximum stress that can be applied before the beam starts to buckle, while the yield stress is the stress at which the beam starts to deform plastically. It is possible for the yield stress to be smaller than the critical stress, as in the case of long columns where Euler buckling occurs.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In Euler's theory , it's stated that the critical stress of beam is always larger than the yield stress of beam ...I don't really undertstand the differnce between them . Critical stress is defined as the stress that the mximum stress applied before the beam starts to buckle...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Does the yield stress here means the stress which the beam start to deform plastically ?
Why shouldn't the yield stress is smaller than the critical stress ?

When object is subjected to stress , the beam will deform plastically before it starts to bend and break ... So , i think that yield stress is smaller than the critical stress [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

In Euler's theory , it's stated that the critical stress of beam is always larger than the yield stress of beam ...ISo , i think that yield stress is smaller than the critical stress
Who told you that?

PhanthomJay said:
Who told you that?
it's based on my understanding , correct me if I'm wrong

Euler buckling applies to long columns where the critical buckling stress is less than the yield stress.

PhanthomJay said:
Euler buckling applies to long columns where the critical buckling stress is less than the yield stress.
Do you mean for long column , the critical buckling stress is always less than the yield stress?

1. What is the difference between yield stress and critical load stress?

Yield stress is the amount of stress that a material can withstand before it permanently deforms, while critical load stress is the amount of stress that causes a material to fail completely.

2. How are yield stress and critical load stress determined?

Yield stress is typically determined through a tensile test, where a material is pulled until it starts to deform. Critical load stress is determined through various tests and calculations, and can also be affected by factors such as material composition and environmental conditions.

3. Can yield stress and critical load stress be the same for a material?

No, yield stress and critical load stress are two different properties of a material. Yield stress is the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand without permanent deformation, while critical load stress is the stress at which the material fails completely.

4. How do yield stress and critical load stress affect the strength of a material?

Yield stress and critical load stress are important indicators of a material's strength. A material with a higher yield stress can withstand more stress before it permanently deforms, while a higher critical load stress means the material can withstand more stress before failing completely.

5. Can yield stress and critical load stress change over time?

Yes, yield stress and critical load stress can change over time due to factors such as material degradation, environmental conditions, and external stresses. It is important to regularly test and monitor these properties to ensure the safety and reliability of a material.