• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Yield stress vs critical load stress

• Thread starter fonseh
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In Euler's theory , it's stated that the critical stress of beam is always larger than the yield stress of beam ...I dont really undertstand the differnce between them . Critical stress is defined as the stress that the mximum stress applied before the beam starts to buckle....

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Does the yield stress here means the stress which the beam start to deform plastically ?
Why shouldnt the yield stress is smaller than the critical stress ?

When object is subjected to stress , the beam will deform plastically before it starts to bend and break .... So , i think that yield stress is smaller than the critical stress [/B]

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In Euler's theory , it's stated that the critical stress of beam is always larger than the yield stress of beam ...ISo , i think that yield stress is smaller than the critical stress
Who told you that?

Who told you that?
it's based on my understanding , correct me if I'm wrong

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Euler buckling applies to long columns where the critical buckling stress is less than the yield stress.

Euler buckling applies to long columns where the critical buckling stress is less than the yield stress.
Do you mean for long column , the critical buckling stress is always less than the yield stress???