You can't do operations on infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of math in relation to infinity. While some operations can be performed on infinity, it is not considered a real number and not all operations are well defined. There are also various types of infinities in mathematics. The idea that math cannot be used to understand infinity is challenged, but it is noted that certain operations may not adhere to traditional algebraic rules.
g.lemaitre
I'm trying to get my words right. They say you can't do operations on infinity. Sorry I don't have an exact quote. But on the other hand you can do calculations involving infinite series. What is the proper way to describe what math can't do with infinity?

I want to say something along the lines of you can't use math to determine how the singularity (Big Bang) existed forever because the singularity was infinite and you cannot use math to understand infinity.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Of course you can do operations on infinity. This is done in math all the time. It's true that infinity won't be a real number though. And it's true that not all operations will be well defined. But we can perform some operations.

Furthermore, there are many different kind of infinities in mathematics, some notions are better suited in some situations than in others.

g.lemaitre said:
you cannot use math to understand infinity.

We most certainly can.

g.lemaitre said:
I want to say something along the lines of you can't use math to determine how the singularity (Big Bang) existed forever because the singularity was infinite and you cannot use math to understand infinity.

1) The big bang did NOT "exist forever" --- where did you get that notion?
2) The singularity is not known to have been infinite and you should not make that as a definite statement. It MAY have been infinite, but that is not known.

We have operations on infinity that are defined and some that are undefined. Some of the ones that are deflined don't adhere to normal algebra, which is why you sometimes can get a contradiction when using standard algebra when infinity is involved.

So I think it is better to say that "we can't apply operations in the usual way" to infinity.

ok, looks like I didn't know what I was talking about. Thanks for clearing things up.

1. What is infinity?

Infinity is a concept used in mathematics to represent a quantity or value that is larger than any number that can be expressed.

2. Why can't operations be performed on infinity?

Infinity is not a number, it is a concept. Therefore, it cannot be manipulated or used in mathematical operations like addition, subtraction, or multiplication.

3. Can infinity be divided by a number?

No, infinity cannot be divided by any number. This is because division is the inverse of multiplication, which cannot be performed on infinity.

4. Is infinity a real or imaginary number?

Infinity is neither a real nor an imaginary number. It is a concept that represents something that is endless or boundless.

5. Why do we use infinity in mathematics if it cannot be operated on?

Infinity is a useful concept in mathematics, as it allows us to describe and analyze infinite sets and processes. It also helps in simplifying complex equations and finding limits in calculus.