You know how they say a B in a difficult course > A in an easy course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter gretun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary: Not at all, it is quite rare to have straight A students who also takes hard courses. If you apply for a PHD at the top universities then ok, but not at lesser ones. Also then you wouldn't have a chance anyway if you tried to boost your gpa with easy courses since the other students would have a huge advantage in courses read...In summary, if you want to get into a difficult graduate school, you need to take hard courses.
gretun
Like when you apply to grad school, doesn't everyone have like As in those difficult courses? If so, would it be better to just enroll in an easy course?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You could enroll in easy courses to get a good mark, but your time would be better spent taking courses that would prepare you for the grad material.

They said this was the same for high school.. the guys who ended up with B's in multivariable weren't shown any preference at ALL compared to people who would take general calculus. I'm curious to know the answer to this as well.

hadsed said:
They said this was the same for high school.. the guys who ended up with B's in multivariable weren't shown any preference at ALL compared to people who would take general calculus. I'm curious to know the answer to this as well.

I mean people who apply to grad schools that are difficult to get into probably have all As in those difficult courses, so is it wise to self-study on those difficult courses on your own and take easy courses to get high grades?

Perhaps you should post the subject and school you are trying to get into.
It might be hard to self-study the difficult courses and you might be missing important things (labs, research experience, etc).

Isn't there something like honors program in U.S. Universities?

I'm not sure how it works for grad school, but I know that this thread's title is incorrect with regards to medical school admissions. I often hear of pre-med students being encouraged to pick the easiest major they can, in order to maximize their GPA. The courses you take make no difference - only the grades you receive in them.

Isn't the idea to learn as much as possible? Aren't grades secondary to that?

Vanadium 50 said:

Ideally, but not in practice.

Vanadium 50 said:

But when you do apply for grad school, the competition is probably that everyone who applies has an A in those so called "difficult courses"

1. If you are applying for graduate schools, you actually need to take hard courses anyway.

2. I personally think difficult courses are a lot more fun than easy courses. For example, I went to a first lecture of introductory microeconomics class, and the instructor started talking how to find a slope of a line from looking at a graph (no, not the graph as in graph theory, but I mean the one with the x-axis and the y-axis, you know? You basically have a curve, and you were asked to find the secant line of two points!). I dropped that class as soon as I got to a computer station. On the other hand, I've taken a fair amount of hard math classes (probably easy for some), and while I found them difficult and I didn't always get A's, I actually felt like I learned a lot from these courses, and overall they were fun experiences.

Conclusion: Some people think I'm a masochist. I'd like to call myself a mathochist.

gretun said:
But when you do apply for grad school, the competition is probably that everyone who applies has an A in those so called "difficult courses"

Obviously not, because you got a B. Unless what's going on is that you have the lowest GPA out of every applicant and are trying to find a way to hide that. Also, do you think the person reviewing your application won't notice that you didn't take any high level courses?

Office_Shredder said:
Obviously not, because you got a B. Unless what's going on is that you have the lowest GPA out of every applicant and are trying to find a way to hide that. Also, do you think the person reviewing your application won't notice that you didn't take any high level courses?

Yeah, but again, there will always be other applicants with As in their "difficult courses" that immediately throws my application away.

Vanadium 50 said:

you're a funny guy

gretun said:
Yeah, but again, there will always be other applicants with As in their "difficult courses" that immediately throws my application away.
Not at all, it is quite rare to have straight A students who also takes hard courses. If you apply for a PHD at the top universities then ok, but not at lesser ones. Also then you wouldn't have a chance anyway if you tried to boost your gpa with easy courses since the other students would have a huge advantage in courses read...

1. Why do people say that a B in a difficult course is more impressive than an A in an easy course?

People often say this because it is generally assumed that a difficult course requires more effort, time, and critical thinking skills to achieve a high grade. It is also believed that a B in a difficult course shows a deeper understanding and mastery of the subject matter compared to an A in an easy course.

2. Is this statement always true?

No, this statement is not always true. It is possible for someone to excel in an easy course and struggle in a difficult course due to personal strengths and weaknesses, teaching style, and other factors. Additionally, an A in an easy course may still require a significant amount of effort and dedication.

3. Do colleges and employers value a B in a difficult course more than an A in an easy course?

It depends on the specific college or employer. Some may view a B in a difficult course as a sign of determination and academic rigor, while others may prioritize overall GPA or specific grades in relevant courses. Ultimately, it is important to strive for strong grades in all courses, regardless of difficulty.

4. Should I prioritize taking difficult courses over easy ones to impress colleges or employers?

It is important to challenge yourself academically and take courses that will help you develop important skills and knowledge. However, it is also important to find a balance and not overwhelm yourself with overly difficult courses. Colleges and employers will also consider other factors such as extracurricular activities, personal statements, and letters of recommendation.

5. How can I ensure I am getting the most out of a difficult course?

To succeed in a difficult course, it is important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to form study groups, actively participate in class, and regularly review material. Remember that the grade is not the only measure of success in a course, and focus on understanding and learning the material rather than just getting a high grade.