1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses You know how they say a B in a difficult course > A in an easy course?

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    Like when you apply to grad school, doesn't everyone have like As in those difficult courses? If so, would it be better to just enroll in an easy course?

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    You could enroll in easy courses to get a good mark, but your time would be better spent taking courses that would prepare you for the grad material.
  4. Jun 16, 2010 #3
    They said this was the same for high school.. the guys who ended up with B's in multivariable weren't shown any preference at ALL compared to people who would take general calculus. I'm curious to know the answer to this as well.
  5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    I mean people who apply to grad schools that are difficult to get into probably have all As in those difficult courses, so is it wise to self-study on those difficult courses on your own and take easy courses to get high grades?
  6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    Perhaps you should post the subject and school you are trying to get into.
    It might be hard to self-study the difficult courses and you might be missing important things (labs, research experience, etc).
  7. Jun 16, 2010 #6
    Isn't there something like honors program in U.S. Universities?
  8. Jun 17, 2010 #7
    I'm not sure how it works for grad school, but I know that this thread's title is incorrect with regards to medical school admissions. I often hear of pre-med students being encouraged to pick the easiest major they can, in order to maximize their GPA. The courses you take make no difference - only the grades you receive in them.
  9. Jun 17, 2010 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Isn't the idea to learn as much as possible? Aren't grades secondary to that?
  10. Jun 17, 2010 #9
    Ideally, but not in practice.
  11. Jun 17, 2010 #10
    But when you do apply for grad school, the competition is probably that everyone who applies has an A in those so called "difficult courses"
  12. Jun 17, 2010 #11
    1. If you are applying for graduate schools, you actually need to take hard courses anyway.

2. I personally think difficult courses are a lot more fun than easy courses. For example, I went to a first lecture of introductory microeconomics class, and the instructor started talking how to find a slope of a line from looking at a graph (no, not the graph as in graph theory, but I mean the one with the x-axis and the y-axis, you know? You basically have a curve, and you were asked to find the secant line of two points!). I dropped that class as soon as I got to a computer station. On the other hand, I've taken a fair amount of hard math classes (probably easy for some), and while I found them difficult and I didn't always get A's, I actually felt like I learned a lot from these courses, and overall they were fun experiences.

Conclusion: Some people think I'm a masochist. I'd like to call myself a mathochist.
  13. Jun 17, 2010 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously not, because you got a B. Unless what's going on is that you have the lowest GPA out of every applicant and are trying to find a way to hide that. Also, do you think the person reviewing your application won't notice that you didn't take any high level courses?
  14. Jun 17, 2010 #13
    Yeah, but again, there will always be other applicants with As in their "difficult courses" that immediately throws my application away.
  15. Jun 17, 2010 #14
    you're a funny guy
  16. Jun 17, 2010 #15
    Not at all, it is quite rare to have straight A students who also takes hard courses. If you apply for a PHD at the top universities then ok, but not at lesser ones. Also then you wouldn't have a chance anyway if you tried to boost your gpa with easy courses since the other students would have a huge advantage in courses read...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook