You know you're a nerd if...

I think I can do even better=when a "contraction" is the difference between the time ordered and normal ordered second-quantized field operators instead of a woman going into labor. LOL
Life's really tough if you associate a kind of duality with every word that starts with co...

Likes Demystifier and Aufbauwerk 2045
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Life's really tough if you associate a kind of duality with every word that starts with co...
Google Wick's theorem. :-)

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
I don't want to publicly speak about secrets, but is there an internal competition among physicists under way about how many different indices (at least 8 in my count) and symbols (at least eight again) a single operator can carry?

Likes Demystifier and Aufbauwerk 2045
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't want to publicly speak about secrets, but is there an internal competition among physicists under way about how many different indices (at least 8 in my count) and symbols (at least eight again) a single operator can carry?
@fresh_42 A side item: Please read your messages/inbox. I included you in a conversation (about an hour ago) about an interesting integral I computed a few years ago. Would enjoy your feedback.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You still get upset thinking about the library of Alexandria.
I thought that made one worldly and cultured, or at least a history aficionado.

That's Wicked. :oldbiggrin::oldlaugh:

Likes Charles Link
jtbell
Mentor
...you've entertained the idea of a trip to New York City for New Year's because the Second Avenue Subway is opening on Jan. 1.

(unfortunately all the hotels seem to be booked up for other reasons)

Likes Ibix
I thought that made one worldly and cultured, or at least a history aficionado.
Sure. But I mean. I get really, really upset thinking about it!

ALL THOSE BOOKS

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and fresh_42
Aufbauwerk 2045
Many popular human activities seem pointless and therefore a waste of valuable time and energy.

The idea of doing something unproductive just for "fun" does not make sense.

Unregulated or in other words free-form dancing makes no sense. One can understand highly regulated dancing, where all the steps are predetermined. But otherwise on what basis should we decide what to do next?

You are a student, alone in your dorm room, thinking about a logic problem, when a girl you like enters your room and stretches out on your bed, smiles, and says in effect she could use some intimate company, and you just look at her, and wonder why she is telling you of all people. You feel relieved when she leaves.

You can no longer relate at all to dogs, because one evening you were sitting on the sofa watching a science fiction movie, and your dog was beside you, and you looked at your dog, and you realized you would never be able to discuss it with him. Your relationship with your dog was without intellectual content and therefore served no useful purpose. You were struck by the sadness of it all. Poor dog.

OCR
Some...
...human activities seem pointless and therefore a waste of valuable time and energy.
You mean... like carrying Coals to new Castle ? ...
idea.gif

David Reeves said:
...when a girl you like enters your room and stretches out on your bed, smiles, and says in effect she could use some intimate company...
Lol... I always thought you were supposed to...
... feel relieved when she leaves.
But otherwise on what basis should we decide what to do next?
Aah yes!... seems that might require information from the future... but,
I'll bet Poor Dog knows, and he just ain't telling...
lmao.gif

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
You put pokemon references into your cosmology papers:
http://www.physics.umn.edu/classes/...ds/399811-FriedmanEqDerivation.pdf?download=1
We see that we have reached an expression that have clearly the form of the energy conservation equation. It is possible to distinguish the terms of the kinetic energy and the potential energy, but we see that a wild integration constant have appeared so we have to interpret its meaning.

Likes kith and mfb
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
When you check the accuracy of the miles per gallon monitor in you car.

Likes jrmichler and Charles Link
berkeman
Mentor
When seeing a new antenna type stops you in your tracks while you try to figure out what it is for and why it's shaped that way... :redface:

Digital 88 Antenna.jpg

Attachments

Likes Demystifier, Borg, mfb and 1 other person
pinball1970
Gold Member
You still get upset thinking about the library of Alexandria.
Or the fact that Galois was a rubbish shot.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
- You google, a LOT.

-- You have to mentally rephrase what your going to say so some people will understand.

Likes berkeman, Demystifier and Aufbauwerk 2045
Aufbauwerk 2045
you consider yourself normal and the rest of the world weird.:oldconfused:
That's because the rest of the world is weird.

Likes Lisa!, Fig Neutron and Charles Link
..think the largest number of any object you can have is 255

Likes collinsmark, Aufbauwerk 2045 and berkeman
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
... if you know that bracket is not a cat with a bra.

Likes nuuskur, Aufbauwerk 2045, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
... if you think that Google is the most frequently used internet site (which in fact is Facebook).

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
... if you don't think that negative energy can be created by negative thoughts.

Likes Fig Neutron, Aufbauwerk 2045, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
... if you think that Google is the most frequently used internet site
You know you are a nerd in an office full of non-nerds when one of the phrases you use most often is "what happens if you type that into Google?" Many of them get the point. Some of them give me the impression that they think Google will explode if they type a technical question. Find the football scores? Yes. How do I do a t-test in R? Let's ask Ibix just in case...

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and Charles Link
Aufbauwerk 2045
... if you know that bracket is not a cat with a bra.
The word "bracket" in math is fine. But my least favorite nomenclature in physics is the "bra" and "ket" in QM. But it's funny sometimes. There was a guy in my intro to QM course who did not like saying the word "bra" using its standard pronunciation, so he pronounced it to rhyme with the first syllable in "bracket." But he was the only one, and he always hesitated before saying it at all. It was obvious he was uncomfortable.

Likes Demystifier and Charles Link