Why are young men always so hungry?!

In summary: I can eat whatever I want and not feel guilty. Two...I can ask them for food and they can cook it for me. Three...they can clean up after themselves.In summary, my young men that is. I need to rant. I just cooked a fantastic meal, main course was red snapper cooked in wine topped with tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, shallots, and then topped with cheese. I used three pounds (three pounds!) of fish filets for four people. Any leftovers? No. I have two young men at home who would eat wood if necessary to keep their metabolisms on overdrive. At least my son who runs marathons for fun (two so far this year) isn't home
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
My young men, that is. I need to rant.

<begin_rant>
I just cooked a fantastic meal, main course was red snapper cooked in wine topped with tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, shallots, and then topped with cheese. I used three pounds (three pounds!) of fish filets for four people. Any leftovers? No. I have two young men at home who would eat wood if necessary to keep their metabolisms on overdrive. At least my son who runs marathons for fun (two so far this year) isn't home. I would have needed to have cooked at least six pounds of fish were that the case. The bright side is that in a bit more than a year and they will all be on their own (or so I hope).
<end_rant>

Physics news on Phys.org
They sound like healthy young men. :biggrin:

I used to clean my plate and there weren't two many leftovers when I was growing up.

I also needed to eat at least 4 sandwiches (usually peanut butter) and drink two glasses of milk between the time I got home from school and supper time.

Last edited:
Yum - that sounds delicious! No wonder they have such healthy appetites!

At least they eat with you. My daughter decided to become a vegan, and she won't stay in the same room with people eating meat. Sigh.

Astronuc said:
They sound like healthy young men. :biggrin:

I used to clean my plate and there weren't two many leftovers when I was growing up.

I also needed to eat at least 4 sandwiches (usually peanut butter) and drink two glasses of milk between the time I got home from school and supper time.

Once I went to Arby's with a group of friends. One of my friends ordered the "5 for 5" special and ate five roast beef sandwiches. He then went on to eat two of my other friend's "five for five" sandwiches.

I commented on how he could eat that much and said he hadn't eaten for two hours. What did he eat two hours before? That's right...four hard salami sandwiches!

Afterwards we went to the movies and he orders a jumbo popcorn!:rofl:

Now, I the kind of guy who can eat A LOT, but there is no way I can top that!

Last edited:
I used to run cross-country and would run the entire course twice each day between meets (except the day before a meet) - once with ankle weights and then without. Then I would change up and run/jog over two miles back home. I'd eat several sandwiches when I got home or charge into whatever left-overs were in the fridge, and then have a hearty supper. I never got over 125 # in HS -- skinny as a rail.

Im drinking a Foster's beer right now. That fish sure would go well with it...

My girlfriend and I used to go out to dinner and buy a small steak and split it in two and share a cup of soup. :grumpy: The waiter was always a bit miffed when we'd order one meal with two plates.

MEN! :devil:

Evo said:
a small steak and split it in two and share a cup of soup.
an appetizer.

When I was working iron, I was eating food by the pound. One night was so hungry, I ate a bowl of pasta, a salad, a small loaf of bread, and an extra large pizza (20 inch or so), with a couple of beers.

It was easy to eat a 24 inch pizza by myself, or a 72 oz steak, a large baked potato and salad, and desert. :biggrin:

Evo said:
My girlfriend and I used to go out to dinner and buy a small steak and split it in two and share a cup of soup. :grumpy: The waiter was always a bit miffed when we'd order one meal with two plates.

MEN! :devil:
Catch a clue! If you were ordering 1/2 a meal and the waiter expected to be tipped 15% of that little expenditure, he'd expect things to be a bit tight the next day. If you and friend tied up one of his assigned tables, ordered 1/2 meals, and shmoozed and took your time, he was probably freaking out the whole time. I have not worked the restaurant business, but many of my friends and relatives have, and it can be a really tough grind day-to-day, especially if your table assignments are determined willy-nilly by a hostess/manager that might not like you.

My girlfriend at work has a 17 year old son that plays basketball.

She was telling me the other night she fried a chicken with corn bread and all the trimmings and then he asked her what they were having tomorrow. She told him that he just ate it.

I'm so glad that I had girls. One pot of soup could last us two weeks.

Astronuc said:
an appetizer.When I was working iron, I was eating food by the pound. One night was so hungry, I ate a bowl of pasta, a salad, a small loaf of bread, and an extra large pizza (20 inch or so), with a couple of beers.

It was easy to eat a 24 inch pizza by myself, or a 72 oz steak, a large baked potato and salad, and desert. :biggrin:
When I was running, I could eat a couple of "regular" pizzas and then start tucking into ice cream, and sweets after supper. Luckily, my mother was well-versed in high-carb cooking for farm-boys, and there were usually lots of left-overs in the fridge that I could eat without putting the family in the poor-house. One time, I ate 18 ears of corn (along with our evening meal) - it just seemed as if I needed the fuel. My sister was counting, though I'm not sure why - she could pack food away, too if she wanted.

turbo-1 said:
Catch a clue! If you were ordering 1/2 a meal and the waiter expected to be tipped 15% of that little expenditure, he'd expect things to be a bit tight the next day. If you and friend tied up one of his assigned tables, ordered 1/2 meals, and shmoozed and took your time, he was probably freaking out the whole time. I have not worked the restaurant business, but many of my friends and relatives have, and it can be a really tough grind day-to-day, especially if your table assignments are determined willy-nilly by a hostess/manager that might not like you.
We tipped heavily, about 40-50%. Sometimes 100%. If a meal was $10, we might each leave $5 as a tip. I was such a heavy tipper, that at one night club, the waitress would always reserve my favorite table for me in the hopes that I would show up. She'd make more money off of me alone than 3 full tables that kept her running all night.

Last edited:
I see my son the most, when he's hungry.

Evo said:
We tipped heavily, about 40-50%. Sometimes 100%. If a meal was $10, we might each leave $5 as a tip. I was such a heavy tipper, that at one night club, the waitress would always reserve my favorite table for me in the hopes that I would show up. She'd make more money off of me alone than 3 full tables that kept her running all night.
I've always been a heavy tipper, too, especially if the service is exceptional, but sometimes the wait staff does not share that information because they want to keep the primo customers for themselves. There are a few high-end steak-houses here where if a waiter/waitress saw me near the entrance, they would come up and speak to the person at the front desk and my party would be seated at once, as if we had a reservation that was overdue. This kind of treatment can be secured by polite intercourse with the staff, kind treatment of the staff, and decent behavior.

I was at a Robben Ford performance in Portland quite a number of years back, and some advance-persons for Kevin Costner showed up and started demanding special treatment (Raouls's Roadside Attractions). The special treatment that they were given was a small table wedged against a wall in a high-traffic area. Raoul's was a class act.

Turbo, about how heavy were you as a freshman (15 or so). I'm about 95 pounds right now (15.5 yo)

We can't use the crockpot to make chili anymore. It's too small. Five pounds of beef, minimum.

D H said:
We can't use the crockpot to make chili anymore. It's too small. Five pounds of beef, minimum.
I feel for you D H!

D H said:

Chili! Now you've gone and got me thinking of it. Ugh, I won't be able to sleep now.

Just little beans and hamburger bits running through my head all night long...

I could understand eating a lot over the course of a day if you are burning a lot of calories doing physical work, and I know guys go through those growth spurts where they suddenly need to eat you out of house and home, but HOW do you fit that much into one stomach in a single meal?! Are you sure they're young men and not cattle?

dawin said:
Just little beans and hamburger bits running through my head all night long...
Well now you've done ruined my dreams, too. The carne in "chili con carne" means beef. There ain't no beans in my chili con carne. I use real beef, not that ground up, who-knows-what-part-of-the-cow it comes from hamburger stuff. And no beans. If I want beans I eat chili con frijoles. Mixing them is pure evil. The next thing you know we'll have dogs and cats, living together. Armageddon.

D H said:
Well now you've done ruined my dreams, too. The carne in "chili con carne" means beef. There ain't no beans in my chili con carne. I use real beef, not that ground up, who-knows-what-part-of-the-cow it comes from hamburger stuff. And no beans. If I want beans I eat chili con frijoles. Mixing them is pure evil. The next thing you know we'll have dogs and cats, living together. Armageddon.
:rofl: Yep, real chili has no beans.

The Johnson Space Center holds an annual Chili Cookoff contest. One of the contestants a few years ago served COTS chili. They were judged "not even wrong".

What is COTS chili?

I like beans in chili. I like to use ground beef, hot sausage meat (adds some spice, plus the little extra fat to give the chili more flavor), black beans and red kidney beans. The meat:bean ratio should be high though (and my chili is THICK, no chili-flavored soup around here).

I also like beans in chili as well, whether they should be there or not. I like red kidney beans the best, with lot's of beef. It MUST be spicy too. No mild chili here.

Mmmmm, Pinto beans are the BEST beans!

Moonbear said:
What is COTS chili?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_off-the-shelf"
COTS chili comes out of a can.

Last edited by a moderator:
D H said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_off-the-shelf"
COTS chili comes out of a can.

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! :yuck:
Exactly. Hormel chili, particularly in a chili cookoff contest, is "not even wrong".

D H said:
Exactly. Hormel chili, particularly in a chili cookoff contest, is "not even wrong".

My stepfather would eat that stuff...and by calling it "stuff" I think I'm being generous. I wouldn't get near it...it smelled like dog food when he opened the can. :yuck:

We had some, once. For whatever reason we had a big can of chili in our cupboard after a hurricane came through. No power, all food in the fridge was tossed. As I recall, it tasted pretty good at the time. Then again, so did the MRIs we had leftover from camping.

BTW, if I have let my own thread get out of control, my fault. I cooked the fish with wine, maybe half a cup. Somebody had to finish off the wine ...

I don't like chili, my body can't process it. It goes in one end and straight out the other, much more dramatically.

DH, you ate Magnetic Resonance Imagers? I applaud your unhingable jaws and massive stomach.

Oops. That's the wine. It was MREs, not MRIs.

lol, just being a smartass.

binzing said:
Turbo, about how heavy were you as a freshman (15 or so). I'm about 95 pounds right now (15.5 yo)
I was about 100# as a freshman in HS, and about 125# as a freshman in U. No fat. I could (and sometimes did) run for hours.

Back