Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young men drive me crazy

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My young men, that is. I need to rant.

<begin_rant>
    I just cooked a fantastic meal, main course was red snapper cooked in wine topped with tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, shallots, and then topped with cheese. I used three pounds (three pounds!) of fish filets for four people. Any leftovers? No. I have two young men at home who would eat wood if necessary to keep their metabolisms on overdrive. At least my son who runs marathons for fun (two so far this year) isn't home. I would have needed to have cooked at least six pounds of fish were that the case. The bright side is that in a bit more than a year and they will all be on their own (or so I hope).
    <end_rant>

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

They sound like healthy young men. :biggrin:

I used to clean my plate and there weren't two many leftovers when I was growing up.

I also needed to eat at least 4 sandwiches (usually peanut butter) and drink two glasses of milk between the time I got home from school and supper time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yum - that sounds delicious! No wonder they have such healthy appetites!

At least they eat with you. My daughter decided to become a vegan, and she won't stay in the same room with people eating meat. Sigh.

5. Feb 23, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once I went to Arby's with a group of friends. One of my friends ordered the "5 for 5" special and ate five roast beef sandwiches. He then went on to eat two of my other friend's "five for five" sandwiches.

I commented on how he could eat that much and said he hadn't eaten for two hours. What did he eat two hours before? That's right......four hard salami sandwiches!!!

Afterwards we went to the movies and he orders a jumbo popcorn!:rofl:

Now, I the kind of guy who can eat A LOT, but there is no way I can top that!

6. Feb 23, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I used to run cross-country and would run the entire course twice each day between meets (except the day before a meet) - once with ankle weights and then without. Then I would change up and run/jog over two miles back home. I'd eat several sandwiches when I got home or charge into whatever left-overs were in the fridge, and then have a hearty supper. I never got over 125 # in HS -- skinny as a rail.

7. Feb 23, 2008 #6
    Im drinking a Foster's beer right now. That fish sure would go well with it.....

8. Feb 23, 2008 #7

Evo

My girlfriend and I used to go out to dinner and buy a small steak and split it in two and share a cup of soup. :grumpy: The waiter was always a bit miffed when we'd order one meal with two plates.

MEN!!!!! :devil:

9. Feb 23, 2008 #8

Astronuc

an appetizer.

When I was working iron, I was eating food by the pound. One night was so hungry, I ate a bowl of pasta, a salad, a small loaf of bread, and an extra large pizza (20 inch or so), with a couple of beers.

It was easy to eat a 24 inch pizza by myself, or a 72 oz steak, a large baked potato and salad, and desert. :biggrin:

10. Feb 23, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Catch a clue! If you were ordering 1/2 a meal and the waiter expected to be tipped 15% of that little expenditure, he'd expect things to be a bit tight the next day. If you and friend tied up one of his assigned tables, ordered 1/2 meals, and shmoozed and took your time, he was probably freaking out the whole time. I have not worked the restaurant business, but many of my friends and relatives have, and it can be a really tough grind day-to-day, especially if your table assignments are determined willy-nilly by a hostess/manager that might not like you.

11. Feb 23, 2008 #10

Evo

My girlfriend at work has a 17 year old son that plays basketball.

She was telling me the other night she fried a chicken with corn bread and all the trimmings and then he asked her what they were having tomorrow. She told him that he just ate it.

I'm so glad that I had girls. One pot of soup could last us two weeks.

12. Feb 23, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

When I was running, I could eat a couple of "regular" pizzas and then start tucking into ice cream, and sweets after supper. Luckily, my mother was well-versed in high-carb cooking for farm-boys, and there were usually lots of left-overs in the fridge that I could eat without putting the family in the poor-house. One time, I ate 18 ears of corn (along with our evening meal) - it just seemed as if I needed the fuel. My sister was counting, though I'm not sure why - she could pack food away, too if she wanted.

13. Feb 23, 2008 #12

Evo

We tipped heavily, about 40-50%. Sometimes 100%. If a meal was $10, we might each leave $5 as a tip. I was such a heavy tipper, that at one night club, the waitress would always reserve my favorite table for me in the hopes that I would show up. She'd make more money off of me alone than 3 full tables that kept her running all night.

14. Feb 23, 2008 #13
    I see my son the most, when hes hungry.

15. Feb 23, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I've always been a heavy tipper, too, especially if the service is exceptional, but sometimes the wait staff does not share that information because they want to keep the primo customers for themselves. There are a few high-end steak-houses here where if a waiter/waitress saw me near the entrance, they would come up and speak to the person at the front desk and my party would be seated at once, as if we had a reservation that was overdue. This kind of treatment can be secured by polite intercourse with the staff, kind treatment of the staff, and decent behavior.

I was at a Robben Ford performance in Portland quite a number of years back, and some advance-persons for Kevin Costner showed up and started demanding special treatment (Raouls's Roadside Attractions). The special treatment that they were given was a small table wedged against a wall in a high-traffic area. Raoul's was a class act.

16. Feb 23, 2008 #15
    Turbo, about how heavy were you as a freshman (15 or so). I'm about 95 pounds right now (15.5 yo)

17. Feb 23, 2008 #16

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We can't use the crockpot to make chili anymore. It's too small. Five pounds of beef, minimum.

18. Feb 23, 2008 #17

Evo

I feel for you D H!

19. Feb 23, 2008 #18
    Chili! Now you've gone and got me thinking of it. Ugh, I won't be able to sleep now.

Just little beans and hamburger bits running through my head all night long...

20. Feb 23, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could understand eating a lot over the course of a day if you are burning a lot of calories doing physical work, and I know guys go through those growth spurts where they suddenly need to eat you out of house and home, but HOW do you fit that much into one stomach in a single meal?! Are you sure they're young men and not cattle?

21. Feb 23, 2008 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well now you've done ruined my dreams, too. The carne in "chili con carne" means beef. There ain't no beans in my chili con carne. I use real beef, not that ground up, who-knows-what-part-of-the-cow it comes from hamburger stuff. And no beans. If I want beans I eat chili con frijoles. Mixing them is pure evil. The next thing you know we'll have dogs and cats, living together. Armageddon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?