Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your down time

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    How much time would you save each year with consistently instantaneous Internet service?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    About... Fifteen hours with about 3 minutes of down time a day.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    I think I pretty much have that :)

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    What magpies said. I have "consistently instantaneous Internet service" at home and work.

What ISP do you have, Loren Booda that it's messing with your time?

6. May 31, 2010 #5
    Huh, if you go back and count my days on 2400 baud modems, probably months, but now? I'd say my access is as close to instant as I care to have it. I can stream HD video, so... whee?

7. May 31, 2010 #6
    Well, I usually get one-two times each day when I get 2-3 minutes of down time. It's a minor annoyance at worst.

8. May 31, 2010 #7
    Time can accumulate into a number that's pretty shocking.
    My friend plays World of Warcraft and just yesterday I found out just how much time he's spent on that game. You can type /played to find out how many hours you've played on that character. If it's over 24 hours, it'll put it in days. Well my friend has apparently played 69 days and 12 hours just on that one character. That's 1,668 hours. That's not including all the other characters he's played, which would probably at least triple that number. Granted, some of that time is spent AFK or alt-tabbed, but that's still amazing. What will he have when he quits playing that game? All those hours spent building up that character and when he quits he'll have nothing to show for it.

9. May 31, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and what would you do with that time, if you had it back?

10. May 31, 2010 #9
    I work for an ISP as a main administrator.

So I don't need an Internet service. I am the Internet service. By the very definition.

11. May 31, 2010 #10
    Comcrass.

12. May 31, 2010 #11
    Since time is an illusion, take a virtual tour of the virtual world.

13. May 31, 2010 #12
    Come to think of it, might my delay be caused by Windows XP?

14. May 31, 2010 #13
    Funny. I Googled "Comcrass" and this thread was the number one hit result. The second hit result is entitled "Are you an ***hole? - Page 3 - Marijuana Forum". Apparently someone whose e-mail address is @comcrass posts there. :biggrin:

Anyway, I think you should phone them and tell them how much time they've taken from you and also tell them you'd like them to give it back to you. I think that's only fair.

15. May 31, 2010 #14
    I don't mind the times I have to wait that much infact I probably enjoyed the internet more back when it took minutes to load a page with dial up.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook