The Reasons Behind Following a Religion

• Thread starter jamesb-uk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Religion
In summary: But do you believe in turtles?I think the creator made turtles, but that was yet another by-product of the ultimate objective of kitty-cat making. Turbo and I are split on the reason for humans. I say by-product, he says slave race for the...
jamesb-uk
What is the main reason you follow a religion? (not open to athiests please)

Physics news on Phys.org
Discussions of religion aren't allowed.

I will allow this ONLY if

1) No specific religion is named
2) No specific claims as to the truth or value of any religion are made

I don't intend to discuss religion. I don't want it to be for people to criticize or argue over people's beliefs. It's intended as more of a poll than anything else.

But if it's against the rules then so be it.

jamesb-uk said:
I don't intend to discuss religion. I don't want it to be for people to criticize or argue over people's beliefs. It's intended as more of a poll than anything else.

But if it's against the rules then so be it.
I finished the rules that will apply above. I think you posted before I had time to edit.

jamesb-uk said:
What is the main reason you follow a religion? (not open to athiests please)

Just curious why you're not wanting to hear from atheists, because it's likely that they have thought a lot more about this question than those who have never questioned their own beliefs.

lisab said:
Just curious why you're not wanting to hear from atheists, because it's likely that they have thought a lot more about this question than those who have never questioned their own beliefs.

From some past threads, I know what atheists have to say in these matters and how the thread turns out be so I think he is right in requesting atheists not to respond.@OP:
I don't have one permanent religion and neither I have ability to sustain beliefs that are particular to only one/two religions. But from time to time, I go after religions just out of curiosity, or for having a different perspective about life or people. I believe having beliefs just make people feel happier or stronger in tough times when you can't really answer why it happened to you.

Last edited:
lisab said:

That is not only a blatant example of an egotistical statement, but also of a logical fallacy.

For most of the people, it would be because their parents are from religion x. The relevant answer would be from someone who changed to a different religion from their parents'.

seycyrus said:
That is not only a blatant example of an egotistical statement, but also of a logical fallacy.

Most atheists I know came to that state after being raised like most people (i.e., with religious beliefs taught to them by their family), yet came to question religion.

Most religious peole I know don't do much fretting about whether god exists or not...it's pretty much a settled question to them.

It's a mystery to me how you're reading that as egotistical.

lisab said:
Most atheists I know came to that state after being raised like most people (i.e., with religious beliefs taught to them by their family), yet came to question religion.

Most religious peole I know don't do much fretting about whether god exists or not...it's pretty much a settled question to them.

It's a mystery to me how you're reading that as egotistical.
I would have to agree with you lisab.

Most of the people I know that belong to a religion belong because that's how they were raised and they've never thought about questioning it.

I believe in Greg Bernhardt, and I have faith because I saw a picture, which I believe was not photoshopped. Anyway, if there were no Greg Bernhardt, how would PF exists ?

Most of the people I know that belong to a religion belong because that's how they were raised and they've never thought about questioning it.
It's weird how you'll just believe something until someone finally contradicts it and it makes you start thinking. Like for example, years ago I read that your heart stops when you sneeze. I didn't question it, I just automatically assumed it as true. For years I believed it until someone told me it was a myth. Right when they said that, it enlightened me. I thought wow, it probably is a myth. At that moment, I finally thought about how it didn't make much since now that someone told me it wasn't true. It took that person's contradiction for me to use my own brain and the intelligence I had the entire time, to give it a second thought.

I believe in Anubis, All hail the mighty and powerful Anubis :devil:

I like turtles.

Cyrus said:
I like turtles.

But do you believe in turtles?

I think the creator made turtles, but that was yet another by-product of the ultimate objective of kitty-cat making. Turbo and I are split on the reason for humans. I say by-product, he says slave race for the kitties.

lisab said:

As I remember, a turtle is carrying the Earth in its back. Can't remember which religion it is. You better believe it...

leroyjenkens said:
It's weird how you'll just believe something until someone finally contradicts it and it makes you start thinking. Like for example, years ago I read that your heart stops when you sneeze. I didn't question it, I just automatically assumed it as true. For years I believed it until someone told me it was a myth. Right when they said that, it enlightened me. I thought wow, it probably is a myth. At that moment, I finally thought about how it didn't make much since now that someone told me it wasn't true. It took that person's contradiction for me to use my own brain and the intelligence I had the entire time, to give it a second thought.

I've always had this idea in my mind that people, no matter who you are, how smart you are, how old you are, always believe the first thing they hear about something. I remember last semester talking to one of my professors, a physicist of course, about cats landing on their feet. He said that even he always thought that cats landed like that out of conservation of angular momentum (as is the common belief). He eventually realized that upon actually thinking about it, that that explanation was impossible.

I personally have never questioned that drinking and taking medicines is bad, I've never questioned that sitting too close to a tv is bad, things like that. The thing is, no one has ever explained to me why alcohol and medicines don't mix. Heck, I don't even know who told me that as a kid. I also recently learned that sitting too close to hte TV doesn't actually have a negative effect (i lost the study's link so don't ask me) so it makes me wonder what else i take for granted that might be wrong.

lisab said:

Ah but remember, questioning something doesn't mean you might not think somethings true. I think the validity of physics is a settled question to me and one would be hard pressed to say I haven't questioned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:

I don't think I have ever met a religious person who has not questioned their beliefs. In fact, faith takes a lot of work. It is a conviction that one ultimately chooses to live with for any number of reasons, not the least of which being that many people believe their life improves dramatically with faith. For others, it is a choice that certainly respresents a struggle for most people a number of times in their life.

However, I do find that religious women tend to be more comfortable with their beliefs than are men. In my experience, women tend to simply try to live their faith, while the men are compelled to justify it to everyone. While it is true that some religions are very big on recruitment [spreading the word], and members of those faiths are duty-bound to do so, others believe that one should demonstrate their faith by the way they live. Still, I have found many men in those sorts of faiths [the latter case] that will gladly argue about religion all day.

I would even argue that it is often [usually] easier to just stop believing than it is to keep the faith. Consider all of the liability that evaporates in a moment when one rejects religion - no eternal judgements, no hell, no consequences beyond this life. Trust me, that is far easier to live with than believing that we will have to answer for every thought we have, and every action we ever take. For many people, including me for a time, it is difficult to accept the fact that we can't be perfect - that we will knowingly and willingly violate our faith at times no matter how hard we try.

Ivan Seeking said:
I would even argue that it is often [usually] easier to just stop believing than it is to keep the faith. Consider all of the liability that evaporates in a moment when one rejects religion - no eternal judgements, no hell, no consequences beyond this life. Trust me, that is far easier to live with than believing that we will have to answer for every thought we have, and every action we ever take. For many people, including me for a time, it is difficult to accept the fact that we can't be perfect - that we will knowingly and willingly violate our faith at times no matter how hard we try.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (GIGGLE!) and ask, what about the benefits evaporating? The idea that when you die, that's it, no eternal life, loved ones gone forever, etc etc. It is quite confusing to me why people seem to immediately go towards the liabilities that you mention. Is there a reason people seem to ... i don't know, think about the loss of liabilities more then the loss of benefits? No matter how strong or weak one's faith is, you'd have to believe in the good as much as you believe in the bad.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (GIGGLE!) and ask, what about the benefits evaporating? The idea that when you die, that's it, no eternal life, loved ones gone forever, etc etc. It is quite confusing to me why people seem to immediately go towards the liabilities that you mention. Is there a reason people seem to ... i don't know, think about the loss of liabilities more then the loss of benefits? No matter how strong or weak one's faith is, you'd have to believe in the good as much as you believe in the bad.
I look at the afterlife without religion and it's really not so bad. I assume it's much like before I was born.

Well, a few certain things defy my ability to reason, but religion provides a certain means to accept what reason can't reveal.

My adult sense of religion developed spontaneously out of my need to explain supernatural experiences and somehow end my psychological suffering.

What? No one here worships His Noodley Greatness?

lisab said:

Of course. It's turtles all the way down.

Pupil said:
What? No one here worships His Noodley Greatness?

PF Guidelines forbid discussion of any particular religion, no matter how true and awesome they are.

negitron said:
Of course. It's turtles all the way down.

I guess everyone will have had to have watched QI for that joke. :tongue2:

My religion (I prefer the term faith) is a consequence to reading the words of the author of my particular faith. I found his words to transcend everyday experiences and bring a profound simplicity to them. My faith appeals to my belief of a diffinitive right and wrong and a sense of order, justice, and compassion. It works for me.

Kurdt said:
I guess everyone will have had to have watched QI for that joke. :tongue2:

? I thought that was a reference to Stephen Hawking's Universe in a Nutshell or A Brief History of Time (one of those).

Pupil said:
A Brief History of Time
Same here

As Richard Dawkins pointed out in his book "The God Delusion", religion has positive survival value. In other words it is selected for by natural selection. I would say that given the almost universal nature of religion, Dawkins in his book greatly understated how strongly it is selected for. Religion contributes greatly to the survival of individuals and societies (otherwise it wouldn't be strongly selected for!). As such it can hardly be passed off easily.

Religion gives comfort. My wife (who has seen many people die in her line of work) tells me that religious people die peacefully and the nonreligious suffer greatly at the end of life.

Religion gives people the power to overcome things like drug addiction. The leader of our religious gathering was a former hard core addict and there are many others at our gathering who have the same or a similar story.

Religion gives one a moral compass. This helps to keep one from self destructive acts and acts of destruction directed at other people.

Yes, I know you all can give many counter examples of all the above, but the fact that religion is STRONGLY selected for means that the counter examples are the exceptions, not the rule.

Religion has been a powerful influence on my life. It has given me direction and comfort and the strength to overcome the challenges that I have faced. I see the face of God in the beauty that I see in math and physics, the beauty I see in life around me and in the heavens.

wildman said:
...the fact that religion is STRONGLY selected for means that the counter examples are the exceptions, not the rule.

This is not a fact. Facts have evidence behind them.

negitron said:
This is not a fact. Facts have evidence behind them.

Sure, but is it not a fact that most of the human race is religious in one form or another?

drankin said:
Sure, but is it not a fact that most of the human race is religious in one form or another?

It is. But I too am dubious that this is something selected for. It would have to be shown that it is genetically inheritable, not just socially.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of following a religion?</h2><p>The purpose of following a religion varies among individuals, but generally it is to find meaning and purpose in life, to connect with a higher power or deity, to seek guidance and moral values, and to find a sense of community and belonging.</p><h2>2. Are there any scientific explanations for why people follow a religion?</h2><p>There is ongoing research on the psychological and sociological factors that may influence religious beliefs and practices. Some studies suggest that religious beliefs may have evolved as a way for humans to cope with uncertainty and to promote cooperation and social cohesion.</p><h2>3. Do religious beliefs impact behavior and decision-making?</h2><p>Yes, religious beliefs can play a significant role in shaping an individual's behavior and decision-making. For example, certain religions may have specific guidelines or moral codes that followers are expected to adhere to, and these may influence their choices and actions.</p><h2>4. Can following a religion have positive or negative effects on mental health?</h2><p>There is evidence to suggest that religious beliefs and practices can have both positive and negative effects on mental health. On one hand, religion can provide a sense of purpose and support, which can improve overall well-being. On the other hand, strict adherence to religious rules and beliefs can also lead to feelings of guilt, anxiety, and intolerance.</p><h2>5. Are there any benefits to following a religion from an evolutionary perspective?</h2><p>Some researchers propose that religious beliefs and practices may have provided evolutionary advantages to early humans, such as promoting cooperation and group cohesion, providing comfort and hope in times of hardship, and reducing stress and anxiety. However, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed.</p>

1. What is the purpose of following a religion?

The purpose of following a religion varies among individuals, but generally it is to find meaning and purpose in life, to connect with a higher power or deity, to seek guidance and moral values, and to find a sense of community and belonging.

2. Are there any scientific explanations for why people follow a religion?

There is ongoing research on the psychological and sociological factors that may influence religious beliefs and practices. Some studies suggest that religious beliefs may have evolved as a way for humans to cope with uncertainty and to promote cooperation and social cohesion.

3. Do religious beliefs impact behavior and decision-making?

Yes, religious beliefs can play a significant role in shaping an individual's behavior and decision-making. For example, certain religions may have specific guidelines or moral codes that followers are expected to adhere to, and these may influence their choices and actions.

4. Can following a religion have positive or negative effects on mental health?

There is evidence to suggest that religious beliefs and practices can have both positive and negative effects on mental health. On one hand, religion can provide a sense of purpose and support, which can improve overall well-being. On the other hand, strict adherence to religious rules and beliefs can also lead to feelings of guilt, anxiety, and intolerance.

5. Are there any benefits to following a religion from an evolutionary perspective?

Some researchers propose that religious beliefs and practices may have provided evolutionary advantages to early humans, such as promoting cooperation and group cohesion, providing comfort and hope in times of hardship, and reducing stress and anxiety. However, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed.