Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your weapon of choice

1. Automatic Assault Rifle

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. A Handgun

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. A Pen

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. A Poem

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Fist fight

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Oct 29, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

In times of turmoil, against the enemy most loathed, what would be your weapon of choice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2
    Sniper Rifle.

4. Oct 29, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

The best way to get shot is to carry a gun*
    I'd rather avoid conflict.

*Not strictly true, but you get the point.

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4
    Poetry is mightier than the sword/spear/halberd/lance/pistol/assault rifle/club/etc.

As your assailant comes down upon you, instead of resisting with force, you confuse them by reciting ambiguous poetry such as Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman, and while they are scratching their heads and trying to figure out the general theme and underlying morals of the poem, you'd make your getaway :biggrin:.

Though that is rather unlikely.

6. Oct 29, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

This is quite a well established fact. It's the very reason that the war-cry was invented. The first mention of a war cry was by Homer, in his Illiad. As the greeks charged the Trojan lines, the Trojan war poets began to recite their verses, but unexpectedly, all the greeks let loose with a collective cry of "Λα Λα Λα δεν μπορεί να σας ακούσει!", which translates roughly as "La la la, can't hear you!" The poets were slaughtered, and the Trojans forced to retreat behind the city walls.

7. Oct 29, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thats awesome!

8. Oct 29, 2005 #7
    The holy hand grenade of antioch

9. Oct 29, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...a pen sounds like a good idea; one of those James Bond style pens. I can jot off a scathing letter, or stab them in the jugular with it, or when all else fails, turn it around and fire the poison dart hidden under the cap. :biggrin: :tongue2:

10. Oct 29, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't vote, but if I had it would be one of the first two. The choice would depend upon the circumstances, which you didn't specify. As a compromise, I would probably choose an Uzi or an HK MP5.

11. Oct 29, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah like edgar allen poe would have stood a chance against my M16

12. Oct 29, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it depends entirely on how you define the enemy and what he has done. Unfortunately it seems that each new generation is filled with those who must learn to despise war, so there are times when the sword is needed. But those who rush to war are the real enemies of peace.

13. Oct 29, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That reminds me of a similar gadget I saw on TV today. Female British spies carried what looked like ordinary lipstick, but in fact contained a single bullet and firing pin operated by pulling back the bottom of the holder. Pretty cool, if not slightly risky if the spy needs to freshen up.

14. Oct 30, 2005 #13
    depends on how much bigger the guy is than me.

15. Oct 30, 2005 #14
    Depends on what weapon the enemy has. If he has a pistol i would want the assault rifle, if he has an assault rifle i would prefer a cruise missile.

16. Oct 30, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What if he has a pen

17. Oct 30, 2005 #16

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Christopher Walken

Maybe some of you will get the joke :biggrin:

18. Oct 30, 2005 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You forgot the most potent weapon of all - other people. The best way to wage any campaign is to rally the masses.

19. Oct 30, 2005 #18
    Smoke and mirrors and a quick pair of legs. Fighting is the choice of the stupid and/or desperate.

20. Oct 31, 2005 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

LOL!!! Excellent

21. Oct 31, 2005 #20
    Although I would fight and even kill if I had to I would prefer not to so I chose pen.
    It looks like the pen and assault rifle are neck and neck so far. Too bad you didn't add sword to the list so we can see just how many people have faith in the pen over the sword.

And this gives me a great idea for a Halloween themed thread too....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?