You're welcome! Glad I could help. (Thumbs up)

In summary, the relation $R$ and its inverse $R^{-1}$ have equivalent domains and ranges, and the field of $R^{-1}$ is the union of the domain and range of $R$. Additionally, the inverse of $R^{-1}$ is equal to $R$. This can be proven by showing that the elements of $R$ and $R^{-1}$ are in a one-to-one correspondence.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Wave)

Let $R$ be a relation.

Show the following sentences:

1. $dom(R^{-1})=rng(R)$
  2. $rng(R^{-1})=dom(R)$
  3. $fld(R^{-1})=fld(R)$
  4. $(R^{-1})^{-1}=R$

That's what I have tried:

1. Let $x \in dom(R^{-1})$. Then $\exists y$ such that $<x,y> \in R^{-1} \Rightarrow <y,x> \in R \Rightarrow x \in rng(R)$.

So, $dom(R^{-1}) \subset rng(R)$.

Let $y \in rng(R)$. Then $\exists x$ such that $<x,y> \in R \Rightarrow <y,x> \in R^{-1} \Rightarrow y \in dom(R^{-1})$.

So, $rng(R) \subset dom(R^{-1})$.

Therefore, $rng(R)=dom(R^{-1})$.
  2. Let $y \in rng(R^{-1})$. Then $\exists x$ such that $<x,y> \in R^{-1} \Rightarrow <y,x> \in R \Rightarrow y \in dom R$.

So, $rng(R^{-1}) \subset dom R$

Let $y \in dom R$. Then $\exists y$ such that $<x,y> ain R \Rightarrow <y,x> \in R^{-1} \Rightarrow x \in rng(R^{-1})$

So, $dom R \subset rng(R^{-1})$.

Therefore, $dom R = rng(R^{-1})$.
  3. $$fld(R^{-1})=dom(R^{-1}) \cup rng (R^{-1})=rng(R) \cup dom R$$
    $$fld(R)=dom R \cup rng(R)$$

Is that what I have tried right or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Also, how could we prove the fourth identity $(R^{-1})^{-1}=R$ ? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Number 1-3 are correct. Number 4 is even easier than 1 or 2.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Number 1-3 are correct. Number 4 is even easier than 1 or 2.

Is it maybe like that? (Thinking)

Let $<y,x> \in (R^{-1})^{-1}$. Then: $<x,y> \in R^{-1} \Rightarrow <y,x> \in R$.

So, $(R^{-1})^{-1} \subset R$.

Let $<x,y> \in R$. Then: $<y,x> \in R^{-1} \Rightarrow <x,y> \in (R^{-1})^{-1}$.

So, $R \subset (R^{-1})^{-1}$.

Therefore, $(R^{-1})^{-1}=R$.

(Thinking)

Yes. I would write it as a chain of equivalences:
\[
\langle x,y\rangle\in R\iff \langle y,x\rangle\in R^{-1}\iff \langle x,y\rangle\in(R^{-1})^{-1}.
\]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes. I would write it as a chain of equivalences:
\[
\langle x,y\rangle\in R\iff \langle y,x\rangle\in R^{-1}\iff \langle x,y\rangle\in(R^{-1})^{-1}.
\]

Nice! I understand! (Nod) Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is an identity in relation to a scientific study?

An identity in relation to a scientific study refers to the characteristics, qualities, or attributes that define a subject or object. It can also refer to the traits or features that make something unique or distinguishable from others.

2. How are identities of a relation determined?

The identities of a relation are determined through research, experimentation, and observation. Scientists use various methods and tools to identify and understand the characteristics of a subject or object, such as DNA analysis, chemical testing, and statistical analysis.

3. Why are identities of a relation important in scientific studies?

Identifying the identities of a relation is crucial in scientific studies as it helps to understand the nature, behavior, and properties of a subject or object. This information is essential in developing theories, making predictions, and finding solutions to problems.

4. How do identities of a relation relate to scientific laws and theories?

The identities of a relation are often used to support or disprove scientific laws and theories. By understanding the characteristics and properties of a subject or object, scientists can make predictions and test the validity of existing theories or laws.

5. Can identities of a relation change over time?

Yes, identities of a relation can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as environmental changes, genetic mutations, or new discoveries. As scientific knowledge and technology advances, our understanding of the identities of a relation may also evolve and change.