Solving the Yoyo Problem: Velocity After Fall of h

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the velocity of a cylindrical yoyo after falling a height of h from rest. The participants consider the use of conservation of energy to solve for the final velocity, taking into account both rotational and translational kinetic energies. After some calculations and clarifications on the correct equations to use, the final answer is determined to be v=√(4gh/3). Dimensional analysis is also mentioned to confirm the correctness of the answer.
KiNGGeexD
Yoyo Problem:(

Question:

A cylindrical yoyo of mass m and radius R falls a height h from rest. What is its velocity after this fall?

My attempt:

I drew a diagram and at rest determined that

T-mg=ma

Where T is tension and acceleration is centripetal acceleration v^2/r

So

v= sqrt of T-gR

I also know the moment of inertia is

1/2mR^2

I'm not sure how to find the velocity after fall h?
I think it is right in front of me but I can't seem to see it :(Thanks for your help in advanced:):):)

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy?

So kinetic energy =0 at the top and kinetic energy after height h is =1/2mv^2?

So I can get potential energy with my velocity I calculated and the that would equal the kinetic energy after height h?

Ok I done

mgh=1/2Iω^2

Worked through to isolate for v

Since ω=v*r

And I got

v=sqrt of 4*g*h

Not sure if this is ok or notAlso can I just ignore v initial?

KiNGGeexD said:
Ok I done

mgh=1/2Iω^2

Using I = (1/2)MR2 in the expression (1/2)Iω2 gives the rotational kinetic energy about the center of the yo-yo. But there is some additional kinetic energy due to the fact that the yo-yo is "falling".

Ah so there is angular kinetic energy and translational kinetic energy which when subtracted from the potential energy is zero?

Yes. Both forms of KE must be included.

It is usually best to apply the conservation of energy principle in the form Ef = Ei. The way you have phrased it as taking the total KE and subtracting the PE to get zero seems to me a little dangerous even though I think you will probably get the correct answer that way.

Ok thanks! I think I'm getting the hang of the physics malarkey!

Cheers friend:)

Would E final just be kinetic energy and E initial would be potential!
This would be the same as saying subtracting the two would be zero wouldn't it?

Potential energy is at a max when it is stationary and kinetic is at a maximum when it is moving after a time, assuming it doesn't reach the bottom of its path

KiNGGeexD said:
Would E final just be kinetic energy and E initial would be potential!
This would be the same as saying subtracting the two would be zero wouldn't it?

Yes, this is ok as long as you realize that you have made a choice of taking the potential energy to be zero at the final height of the yoyo. Whenever you use the formula mgh for the potential energy, you just want to be clear on where you are choosing h to be zero. If I chose h to be zero on the ground instead of at the lowest point of travel of the yoyo, then E final of the yoyo would not be all kinetic energy.

Maybe I'm belaboring a point that is already clear to you!

Ok I shall express the conservation of energy in the way you quoted!

I got the final answer v= square root of 2gh?Looks nice and beat but I could have made a mistake in my maths:)
Wouldn't be the first time

KiNGGeexD said:
v= square root of 2gh?

That's not the correct answer. Were you able to combine the rotational and kinetic energies into one expression?

Yea

mgh= 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 I ω^2

Then I solved for v?

That's the right setup. Devil is in the details. :devil:

Can you show the steps that lead from this equation to your final answer?

Yea sure...

mgh= mv^2+Iω^2

The halfs add to be 1

So

mgh/Iω^2= mv^2

v^2= mgh/m*Iω^2

I= 1/2MR^2

Have I made a mistake yet?

KiNGGeexD said:
Yea sure...

mgh= mv^2+Iω^2

The halfs add to be 1

No. Note that (1/2)(4) + (1/2)(6) = 2 + 3 = 5

But, if you said the halfs add to 1 you would get

(1/2)(4) + (1/2)(6) = 4 + 6 = 10 (wrong)

So

mgh/Iω^2= mv^2

No, you can't do that (legitimately).
If you have a = b + c, it is not true in general that a/c = b. If you wanted to get b by itself, you could subtract c from both sides. But, you don't want to do that anyway.

Going back to mgh = (1/2)mv2 + (1/2)Iω2, substitute for ω in terms of v and try to simplify the right hand side.

Ok I will give it a bash!

Also I for some reason thought the two terms were multiplied and meant to put a subtract sign not a divide I'm am not that dumb!

Would it then be

v^2= (4gh)/3

Then take the square root to get v! I thought it would be neater to do it this way!

I ended up with the RHS as

1/2nv^2 + 1/4 mv^2

Once I substituted in omega and moment of inertia

Although the dimensions don't add up

KiNGGeexD said:
Would it then be

v^2= (4gh)/3

Then take the square root to get v! I thought it would be neater to do it this way!

Yes, that looks right!

KiNGGeexD said:
I ended up with the RHS as

1/2nv^2 + 1/4 mv^2

Once I substituted in omega and moment of inertia

Right: 1/2 mv2 + 1/4 mv2 = 3/4 mv2

KiNGGeexD said:
Although the dimensions don't add up

I'm not following you here.

Yea so when I solved that I got v^2= 4/3 gh

I just meant in terms of dimensional analysis

v^2 = (m/s)^2

And

g*h = (m/s^2) * m

So both are equal:)

Good work! :smile:

1. What is the Yoyo Problem?

The Yoyo Problem refers to a physics problem where a yoyo is dropped from a height, and the velocity of the yoyo is measured after it reaches the ground. This problem involves understanding the relationship between the height from which the yoyo is dropped and its final velocity.

2. What factors affect the velocity of the yoyo after it falls?

The velocity of the yoyo after it falls is affected by the height from which it was dropped, the mass of the yoyo, and the force of gravity. These factors all play a role in determining the final velocity of the yoyo.

3. How is the velocity of the yoyo calculated?

The velocity of the yoyo can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the yoyo was dropped. This equation takes into account the force of gravity and the height of the drop to determine the final velocity.

4. What is the relationship between the height and velocity in the Yoyo Problem?

In the Yoyo Problem, there is an inverse relationship between the height from which the yoyo is dropped and its final velocity. This means that as the height increases, the final velocity decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation v = √(2gh), where h is the height and v is the velocity.

5. How can the Yoyo Problem be applied in real life?

The Yoyo Problem can be applied in many real-life situations, such as understanding the velocity of a ball when it is thrown or dropped from a certain height. It can also be used in engineering and design to calculate the speed of objects falling from a height. Additionally, this problem can help us better understand the laws of physics and how they apply to everyday situations.