Zener Diode: germanium vs. silicon

In summary: Zener breakdown region is the same for both types)If you are reverse biased, you will not see the forward leakage region. If you are forward biased, you will see the forward leakage and the shoulder near -5V. If you are not reverse biased, you will see the forward leakage and the shoulder near -5V and the region near the breakdown voltage.
Number2Pencil
I have to utilize a Curve Tracing machine on a 5V Zener Diode for a lab. The curve tracer shows voltage vs. current. The lab asks me to examine the curve and determine whether it is a Silicon or Germanium diode, but I'm wondering...what would be different about the graphs of the two types? Wont they both have a shoulder near -5V?

Oh yeah, I only get to do it reversed biased, as it doesn't show 4 quadrants worth of graphs. So I can't look at the shoulder for forward biased. Is there a trick or is the question a trick?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a strange one, and I'm afraid I cannot help much. However, are you sure you're supposed to determine whether a *zener* diode is made of silicon or germanium? (If it's just a diode, we can inspect the forward threshold voltage, but I'm not sure about zener diodes. Could it be a question asking you to distinguish between a zener diode and an avalanche diode?)

What I'd do is look up data sheets on the two types of zener diodes beforehand and ascertain the differences in the region of interest on the characteristic curve, then do the lab work.

Maybe the Isat value is different between them? That's the reverse leakage current in the reverse bias region before you reach the Zener breakdown region. I don't know whether the Isat values will be different, but it's worth looking into.

I looked for a good while and couldn't find any data sheet online that specified a germanium zener diode. I did look at several Silicon zeners and found zener voltages ranging from 3V to 100V.

I guess I can't throw Silicon out just yet. And yes, I've double checked and it does ask to determine if the *zener* is silicon or Germanium

Don't know if this will help but there is a reference
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v83/i3/p650_1

Doesn't Ge has high reverse leakage compared to Si? (Or is my memory too hazy?) I think the difference is a very large factor (10's of uA/cm^2 vs 0.1 nA/cm^2), but maybe soemone can check in a book like, e.g., Sze.

Marcus, I think you hit it. I had forgotten about this and was reluctant to post since I couldn't think of anything other than to test it forward biased.

EDIT:yea you are right Supernova. my bad. Sorry I don't have an answer for the thread starter.

Last edited:
Read the first post again poo. He's only allowed to do it in reverse.

Number2Pencil, can you share your results with us?

The cheapskate way is forget about the curve tracer and read the part number. BZ... is a silicon zener, AZ... would be germanium, if such a thing exists.

hmmm...wouldn't the fact that the Ge bandgap is smaller than Si's (higher valence shell) indicate that, as marcusl stated, the reverse leakage would be higher?

1. What is the difference between a germanium and silicon zener diode?

The main difference between a germanium and silicon zener diode is the material used to make them. Germanium zener diodes are made from the element germanium, while silicon zener diodes are made from the element silicon. This affects their electrical properties and performance.

2. Which one is better, a germanium or silicon zener diode?

It depends on the specific application and requirements. Germanium zener diodes have a lower voltage drop and can operate at higher frequencies, making them suitable for certain applications. Silicon zener diodes have a higher breakdown voltage and can handle higher power levels, making them better for other applications.

3. Can a germanium zener diode be used in place of a silicon zener diode and vice versa?

Yes, they can be used interchangeably in some cases. However, it is important to consider the specific properties and requirements of the circuit to ensure proper functionality and performance. For example, using a germanium zener diode in place of a silicon zener diode in a circuit that requires a high breakdown voltage may cause the circuit to fail.

4. Are there any differences in the voltage regulation of germanium and silicon zener diodes?

Yes, the voltage regulation of a zener diode refers to how well it maintains a constant voltage over a range of current levels. Germanium zener diodes generally have a poorer voltage regulation compared to silicon zener diodes due to their lower breakdown voltage and higher temperature coefficient.

5. What are the temperature limitations of germanium and silicon zener diodes?

Germanium zener diodes have a lower maximum operating temperature compared to silicon zener diodes. This is because germanium has a lower melting point and is more sensitive to temperature changes. Silicon zener diodes can operate at higher temperatures, making them suitable for applications that require higher temperature ranges.