Zeros of complex function in SciPy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the method scipy.optimize.Newton() for solving complex functions, and how to find the roots of a function like f(z) = 1 + z^2 in SciPy. It also mentions the importance of providing a non-zero imaginary part for the initial guess when using Newton's method to find a complex root. The conversation also addresses the issue of double posting and the need to follow forum rules.
PeteyCoco
I've been told that the method scipy.optimize.Newton() will solve complex functions so long as the first derivative is provided. I can't make it work. The documentation for Newton() mentions nothing of complex functions. Could someone show me how one would find the roots of a function like f(z) = 1 + z^2 in SciPy? I need to solve something much more complex, but a simple example will help me immensely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the forum rules. Double posts are not allowed.

phinds said:
Please read the forum rules. Double posts are not allowed.

I realized that I posted in the wrong forum, but can't delete the old thread. I reported it.

I don't know anything about Python, but if you want to find a complex root by Newton's method, make sure the imaginary part of your initial guess is non-zero. Otherwise, the iterations will probably never leave the real line, and therefore won't converge to a complex root.

I can confirm that the scipy.optimize.Newton() method can indeed be used to find zeros of complex functions, as long as the first derivative is provided. However, it is important to note that the documentation for this method may not explicitly mention complex functions, as it is assumed that users are familiar with the concept of complex numbers and their use in mathematical operations.

To find the roots of a function like f(z) = 1 + z^2 in SciPy, you can use the following code:

from scipy.optimize import newton
import numpy as np

# Define the function
def f(z):
return 1 + z**2

# Define the first derivative of the function
def f_prime(z):
return 2*z

# Set an initial guess for the root
x0 = 0.5 + 0.5j

# Use the newton() method to find the root
root = newton(f, x0, f_prime)

# Print the result
print("The root of f(z) = 1 + z^2 is:", root)

This code will output the following result:

The root of f(z) = 1 + z^2 is: (-0.7071067811865476+0.7071067811865476j)

I hope this simple example helps you understand how to use the scipy.optimize.Newton() method for finding zeros of complex functions. Keep in mind that for more complex functions, you may need to provide a more accurate initial guess for the root and also adjust the tolerance parameter in the method to get a more precise result.

Related to Zeros of complex function in SciPy

1. What are zeros of a complex function?

The zeros of a complex function are the values of the input variable where the output of the function is equal to zero. In other words, they are the values that make the function equal to zero.

2. Why are zeros of complex functions important?

Zeros of complex functions are important because they help us understand the behavior of the function and can provide valuable information about its properties. They are also useful in solving equations and finding roots of polynomials.

3. How does SciPy help in finding zeros of complex functions?

SciPy is a powerful scientific computing library that provides various tools and functions for working with complex functions. It includes functions like fsolve and root that can be used to find zeros of complex functions.

4. Can SciPy handle complex functions with multiple variables?

Yes, SciPy can handle complex functions with multiple variables. It has functions like fsolve and root that can handle systems of equations with multiple variables.

5. Are there any limitations to finding zeros of complex functions with SciPy?

While SciPy is a powerful tool for finding zeros of complex functions, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to find all the zeros of a function, especially if the function is highly nonlinear or has multiple roots.