Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zerosmoke - bio-magnets?

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/zro_smke_ontv.html?gid=

So, this is supposed to release endorphins, I assume?

Biomagnets? No such thing. I guess magnets are biomagnets when they are used for smoking cessation. :biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So far, most of the information that I find is similar to this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/..._DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1

So, based on a quick survey of the published papers that I saw, it would appear that any evidence that aural acupressure is effective as a smoking cessastion tool is inconclusive at best. The same is indicated for weight loss and blood pressure reduction.

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's probably most effective if you squeeze your ear between your fingers...instead of holding a cigarette between them. :uhh: Or maybe if you get strong enough magnets, the pain will distract you from thinking about the next cigarette. :biggrin: Actually, distraction sounds like the entire basis of it if they are supposed to rub the beads when they get a craving. I'd be willing to bet that if you handed smokers a stressball and told them to squeeze it whenever they felt a craving, it would be just as effective as magnets on the ears that they have to rub when they get a craving.

You'd think if there was any credibility to this that you would meet any smokers with the top part of their ear pierced, because the earring there would have stopped the cravings.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And even if acupressure were shown to be helpful, that would not necessarily imply that the use of magnets can effectively simulate acurpressure techniques. I don't know much about acupressure claims, but I tend to suspect that the people who believe that acupressure is helpful might take issue with this product claim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?