Partition function related to number of microstates

by Troy124
Tags: function, microstates, number, partition
Share this thread:
Troy124
Feb20-13, 03:04 PM
P: 3
Hi,

I have a question about the partition function.

It is defined as ## Z = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta \epsilon_{i}} ## where ##\epsilon_i## denotes the amount of energy transferred from the large system to the small system. By using the formula for the Shannon-entropy ##S = - k \sum_i P_i \log P_i## (with ##k## a random constant or ##k_B## in this case), I end up with the following: $$ S = - k \sum_i P_i \log P_i = (k \sum_i P_i \beta \epsilon_i) + (k \sum_i P_i \log Z) = \frac{U}{T} + k \log Z $$

This simplifies to ##Z = e^{-\beta F}## by using the Helmholtz free energy defined as ##F = U - T S##. But Boltzmann's formula for entropy states ##S = k \log \Omega##, where ##\Omega## denotes the number of possible microstate for a given macrostate. So we will get $$ \Omega = e^{S/k} = e^{\beta (U - F)} = Z e^{\beta U} $$

So the partition function is related to the number of microstates, but multiplied by a factor ##e^{\beta U}##. And this bring me to my question: why is it multiplied by that factor? Maybe the answer is quite simple, but I can't seem to think of anything.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Mute
Feb20-13, 03:30 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
Quote Quote by Troy124 View Post
Hi,

I have a question about the partition function.

It is defined as ## Z = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta \epsilon_{i}} ## where ##\epsilon_i## denotes the amount of energy transferred from the large system to the small system. By using the formula for the Shannon-entropy ##S = - k \sum_i P_i \log P_i## (with ##k## a random constant or ##k_B## in this case), I end up with the following: $$ S = - k \sum_i P_i \log P_i = (k \sum_i P_i \beta \epsilon_i) + (k \sum_i P_i \log Z) = \frac{U}{T} + k \log Z $$

This simplifies to ##Z = e^{-\beta F}## by using the Helmholtz free energy defined as ##F = U - T S##. But Boltzmann's formula for entropy states ##S = k \log \Omega##, where ##\Omega## denotes the number of possible microstate for a given macrostate. So we will get $$ \Omega = e^{S/k} = e^{\beta (U - F)} = Z e^{\beta U} $$

So the partition function is related to the number of microstates, but multiplied by a factor ##e^{\beta U}##. And this bring me to my question: why is it multiplied by that factor? Maybe the answer is quite simple, but I can't seem to think of anything.
Boltzmann's formula ##S = k_B \ln \Omega## is applicable only to the case of a microcanonical ensemble - a system in which every microstate is equally likely. Note that setting ##P_i = 1/\Omega## in ##S = -k_B \sum_{i=1}^\Omega P_i \ln P_i## gives Boltzmann's formula.

The partition function ##Z = \sum_i \exp(-\beta \epsilon_i)## corresponds to a canonical ensemble. The microstates in a canonical ensemble are not equally likely, so Boltzmann's formula ##S = k_B \ln \Omega## does not apply. (However, the more general formula, ##S = -k_B \sum_{i=1}^\Omega P_i \ln P_i##, does still apply).

You can thus not equate ##\Omega## to ##Ze^{\beta U}##, as the two formulas you used for entropy are not simultaneously true.
Troy124
Feb20-13, 04:44 PM
P: 3
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I finally figured out that I mixed up the entropy of the environment with the entropy of the system, because my idea was that the total system, so environment + system, could be described by the microcanonical ensemble and I could use Boltzmann's formula, but then you will end up with something different:

The system including its environment can be described as a microcanonical ensemble. The number of possible configurations for this ensemble are ##\Omega_{total} = \sum_i w_i## where ##w_i## denotes the number of possible configurations given an ##\epsilon_i##.

We know $$w_i = \Omega (E-\epsilon_i) \Omega (\epsilon_i)$$ (with ##\Omega (\epsilon_i) = 1##, ##\Omega (E-\epsilon_i)## the number of microstates of the system when its energy equals ##E-\epsilon_i## and ##\Omega (E)## the number of microstates of the environment, when it is not thermally connected to another system) and thus $$ \Omega_{total} = e^{S_{total}/k} = e^{S/k} e^{S_{env}/k} = e^{\beta (U - F)} \Omega_{env} = \sum_i \Omega (E - \epsilon_i) = \Omega (E) \sum_i e^{-\beta \epsilon_i} = \Omega (E) e^{-\beta F}$$

This simplifies to $$ \Omega_{env} = \Omega (E) e^{-\beta U}$$

Do you know if this is correct, because I have never seen this result before. It does seem okay to me though.

Register to reply