Crossroads: Choosing to Become a Physicist

• Thread starter Curiosity
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on choosing a major for university. They are unsure about engineering, but interested in physics. However, they do not know anyone in the field and are worried about job prospects. Other forum members advise them to pursue what they love but also consider practical skills and experience. They also recommend learning programming languages.
Curiosity
Hi there.

I am soon to start attending university but I find myself unsure about what to choose to study. My parents push me towards engineering but to be honest I think that being an engineer is a bit too buisnessy for me, I do however enjoy physics and am interested in it very much. The problem is I know of no-one who is a physicist so I do not know what to expect. Personally I do not hear of many job offers when it comes to physics and I only have a vague image of what being a physicist (i.e. A grey haired man sitting next to a black board writing the day away trying to [dis]prove a theory, which is ok by me :smile: )

Basically I want to know what a physicist does and if there is even any demand for physicists. If it is of any help I come from Malta which is sadly a bit backwards when it comes to hard science so I may have to go abroad to study after I get a B.Sc and perhaps even to work.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Curiosity,

ZapperZ has posted a wonderful "sticky" series that you might find useful.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51406

As I'm sure others here will tell you, don't let yourself be pushed into a field that your not interested in. Like any hard science degree, an engineering degree requires a serious course load. Without a major commitment, the odds are against you getting through it if it's not something you love.

kdinser said:
As I'm sure others here will tell you, don't let yourself be pushed into a field that your not interested in. Like any hard science degree, an engineering degree requires a serious course load. Without a major commitment, the odds are against you getting through it if it's not something you love.

While i agree that you should do what you want to do because you enjoy it, i have to disagree with that alst statement. You'd be amazed how many people get by looking forward to nothing more than a paycheck in a job they hate. Still, good advice: pick the one you want for itself, not for the paycheck.

franznietzsche said:
While i agree that you should do what you want to do because you enjoy it, i have to disagree with that alst statement. You'd be amazed how many people get by looking forward to nothing more than a paycheck in a job they hate. Still, good advice: pick the one you want for itself, not for the paycheck.

Having ideals is good. However, at some point, it has to be tempered with reality.

Thank you to astraltourist for recommending my essay. In that series, and in the "My Physics Experience" essay, I have consciously tried to convey what I said above. Try your darndest to pursue what you love. However, at the same time you are pursuing this, make sure you never ignore the possibility that you may NOT be able to do exactly what you want. What this means is that you try to get as wide and as large of a variety of experience, skills, and knowledge as you can. Learn computational methods, learn how to use and maintain ultra-high vacuum systems, learn how to make thin-films, etc. regardless of what you intend to pursue. I cringe when I hear students tell me "oh, I want to be a theorist. I don't need to know how to use an SEM".

Pursuing one's goals doesn't mean one has to abandon all resemblance of the the workings of the real world. One always has to consider the likely possibility that one may not end up where one planned.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Having ideals is good. However, at some point, it has to be tempered with reality.

Thank you to astraltourist for recommending my essay. In that series, and in the "My Physics Experience" essay, I have consciously tried to convey what I said above. Try your darndest to pursue what you love. However, at the same time you are pursuing this, make sure you never ignore the possibility that you may NOT be able to do exactly what you want. What this means is that you try to get as wide and as large of a variety of experience, skills, and knowledge as you can. Learn computational methods, learn how to use and maintain ultra-high vacuum systems, learn how to make thin-films, etc. regardless of what you intend to pursue. I cringe when I hear students tell me "oh, I want to be a theorist. I don't need to know how to use an SEM".

Pursuing one's goals doesn't mean one has to abandon all resemblance of the the workings of the real world. One always has to consider the likely possibility that one may not end up where one planned.

Zz.

True. I seem to have chosen the path of mathematics and there's one thing a mathematician must learn: Programming.

Saves a lot of time.

I've constructed a sequence, not randomly chosen or silly, and would take like a week to construct just the first 5 numbers. Thanks to the computer, it takes minutes although the first 100 takes awhile.

JasonRox said:
True. I seem to have chosen the path of mathematics and there's one thing a mathematician must learn: Programming.

Saves a lot of time.

I've constructed a sequence, not randomly chosen or silly, and would take like a week to construct just the first 5 numbers. Thanks to the computer, it takes minutes although the first 100 takes awhile.

Yes, programming languages are your friend.

Thanks for your advice, I'm sure it will prove useful somehow :smile:

1. What inspired you to become a physicist?

I have always been fascinated by how the world works, and the laws of physics govern everything around us. I was particularly drawn to the challenge of using mathematical and analytical skills to understand and explain the fundamental principles of our universe.

2. What skills are necessary to become a successful physicist?

To become a successful physicist, you need a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and the ability to think creatively and abstractly. Attention to detail, persistence, and the ability to collaborate with others are also important skills for a physicist.

3. What are some common misconceptions about being a physicist?

One common misconception is that all physicists work in a lab, conducting experiments. In reality, there are many different fields of physics, and some physicists may spend more time working on theoretical models and calculations rather than conducting experiments in a lab setting.

Another misconception is that physicists only work in academia. While many do work in universities, there are also opportunities for physicists in government agencies, research institutions, and private companies.

4. What are some current developments or advancements in the field of physics?

There are many exciting developments happening in the field of physics currently. Some of the most notable include advancements in quantum computing, the search for dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the Higgs boson particle. Other areas of interest include renewable energy, nanotechnology, and the study of black holes.

5. How can someone start their journey towards becoming a physicist?

If you are interested in becoming a physicist, start by taking as many math and science courses as you can in high school. This will provide a strong foundation for studying physics in college. It's also helpful to read books, watch lectures, and attend workshops or camps related to physics to gain a better understanding of the subject. Finally, reach out to professors or other professionals in the field to ask for guidance and advice on your journey.