YAKATroubleshooting xawtv Installation on Fedora Core 4

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary: Fedora Core 4 system. The person discussing originally tried to install xawtv, but encountered errors with dependencies. Another person suggested using tvtime instead. The original person then mentioned some issues with tvtime and still wanting to try xawtv. Someone else suggested trying to use the yum command or finding xawtv in the dag repository. In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of xawtv and tvtime for watching television on a Fedora Core 4 system, with suggestions for alternative options such as using the yum command or finding xawtv in a repository.
maverick280857
Hi

I have a working Fedora Core 4 system running. I discovered that xawtv is not part of the distribution (I am sure because I installed "Everything"). Perhaps it is not part of everything??

Anyway, I found xawtv for Fedora Core 3 and tried to install it. It gave an error about dependencies...some libraries had not been installed (some of which used to be a standard part of RedHat Linux). I tried getting those as well but it just doesn't work. Does anyone here have experience of getting xawtv up and running on a FC4 system (even FC3 will do if you could please include complete details).

Thanks and cheers,
Vivek

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi dduardo

I've been using TVTime but it has a lot of deficiencies. Firstly, not all channels are recognized despite deep search. Secondly, the quality of some channels isn't too good. So I think it would be worth it to try xawtv...

Cheers
Vivek

Trust me, I've tried xawtv and tvtime is much better. I don't know why some channels aren't being recognized. It must be your tuner card. Also, try playing around with the interlacer settings.

Hi again...

Well I'll see if I can tweak it a bit more.

I have a Pinnacle PCTV Pro card (doubt if you've heard of it...its specifically an Indian model though I reckon the chip is almost the same).

Cheers
Vivek

I just simply yum these days.If i am not wrong xawtv maybe found in the dag repo.

-- AI

1. What is Xawtv and how does it work with Fedora Core 4?

Xawtv is a program that allows users to watch and record television on their computer. It works with Fedora Core 4 by utilizing the video4linux API to access TV tuner cards and display the video on the computer screen.

2. How do I install Xawtv on Fedora Core 4?

To install Xawtv on Fedora Core 4, you can use the command "sudo yum install xawtv" in the terminal. This will download and install the necessary packages for Xawtv to run on your system.

3. Can Xawtv be used with any type of TV tuner card?

Xawtv supports a wide range of TV tuner cards, but it is always best to check the compatibility list on their website before purchasing a card. Some newer cards may not be supported yet.

4. How do I set up my TV tuner card with Xawtv on Fedora Core 4?

To set up your TV tuner card with Xawtv, you will need to use the command "xawtv -hwscan" in the terminal. This will scan your system for any TV tuner cards and display the results. You can then use the "xawtv -c" command to configure the card and save the settings.

5. Can I record shows with Xawtv on Fedora Core 4?

Yes, you can record shows with Xawtv on Fedora Core 4. You can use the "xawtv -record" command to start recording a show, and then use the "xawtv -view" command to watch the recording. The recorded files will be saved in the home directory by default.