A question about linear algebra (change of basis of a linear transformation)

In summary: So [T]_B is just the kxk identity matrix?No, because T doesn't map each element of B to itself. In fact, T maps b_0 to b_1. Therefore the first column of [T]_B should be the [b_1]_B = [Av]_B, which is what?
Artusartos

Homework Statement

Let [itex]A \in M_n(F)[/itex] and [itex]v \in F^n[/itex].

Let [itex]v, Av, A^2v, ... , A^{k-1}v[/itex] be a basis, B, of V.

Let[itex] T:V \rightarrow V[/itex] be induced by multiplication by A:T(w) = Aw for w in V. Find [itex][T]_B[/itex], the matrix of T with respect to B.

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

[itex][T(w)]_B = [Aw]_B = C^{-1}Aw[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anybody give me a hint please? I'm trying to do this for an hour but I'm not sure how.

From here: http://www.khanacademy.org/math/linear-algebra/v/lin-alg--transformation-matrix-with-respect-to-a-basis

I learned that [itex][T(w)]_B = [Aw]_B = C^{-1}Aw[/itex], where [itex] C= [v| Av| A^2v| ... | A^{k-1}v] [/itex]. But now I don't know what the inverse of C is? :cry:

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you write [itex]b_0 = v[/itex], [itex]b_1 = Av[/itex], [itex]b_2 = A^2v[/itex], ..., [itex]b_{n-1} = A^{n-1}v[/itex], then you have [itex]T(b_k) = b_{k+1}[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq k < n-1[/itex]. What does this tell you about the first [itex]n-1[/itex] columns of [itex][T]_B[/itex]?

jbunniii said:
Well, if you write [itex]b_0 = v[/itex], [itex]b_1 = Av[/itex], [itex]b_2 = A^2v[/itex], ..., [itex]b_{n-1} = A^{n-1}v[/itex], then you have [itex]T(b_k) = b_{k+1}[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq k < n-1[/itex]. What does this tell you about the first [itex]n-1[/itex] columns of [itex][T]_B[/itex]?

They are the same elements as the basis, except for the last one, since it is [itex]A^kv[/itex]...

Last edited:
Artusartos said:
They are the same elements as the basis, except for the last one, since it is [itex]A^kv[/itex]...

So what are the first [itex]n-1[/itex] columns? You should be able to write them using actual numbers.

jbunniii said:
So what are the first [itex]n-1[/itex] columns? You should be able to write them using actual numbers.

The first n-1 columns are: [itex]Av, A^2v, ..., A^{k-1}v[/itex]. Since each element [itex]A^pv[/itex] is transformed into [itex]A^{p+1}v[/itex], right?

Artusartos said:
The first n-1 columns are: [itex]Av, A^2v, ..., A^{k-1}v[/itex]. Since each element [itex]A^pv[/itex] is transformed into [itex]A^{p+1}v[/itex], right?
Let's take a step back. What is the matrix representation of [itex]b_0 = v[/itex] in terms of the basis [itex]B[/itex]? Your answer should be a column vector containing 1's and 0's.

jbunniii said:
Let's take a step back. What is the matrix representation of [itex]b_0 = v[/itex] in terms of the basis [itex]B[/itex]? Your answer should be a column vector containing 1's and 0's.

I'm not sure I understand why it can be written with numbers. The question tells us what [itex]B[/itex] is, not with numbers but with A's and v's. Do you mean something like this:

[itex][v]_B[/itex] = [itex] 1.v + 0.Av + ... + 0.A^{k-1}v [/itex]?

Artusartos said:
I'm not sure I understand why it can be written with numbers. The question tells us what [itex]B[/itex] is, not with numbers but with A's and v's. Do you mean something like this:

[itex][v]_B[/itex] = [itex] 1.v + 0.Av + ... + 0.A^{k-1}v [/itex]?

That's not what [itex]v_B[/itex] is. It is true that
[tex]v = 1\cdot v + 0 \cdot Av + \ldots + 0 \cdot A^{k-1}v[/tex]
And since B is a basis, this is the unique way of writing [itex]v[/itex] as a linear combination of the elements of B. So what is [itex]v_B[/itex]? It is nothing other than the array of coefficients in that linear combination: [itex]v_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex] where by convention this is understood to be a column vector.

jbunniii said:
That's not what [itex]v_B[/itex] is. It is true that
[tex]v = 1\cdot v + 0 \cdot Av + \ldots + 0 \cdot A^{k-1}v[/tex]
And since B is a basis, this is the unique way of writing [itex]v[/itex] as a linear combination of the elements of B. So what is [itex]v_B[/itex]? It is nothing other than the array of coefficients in that linear combination: [itex]v_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex] where by convention this is understood to be a column vector.

So [itex][T]_B[/itex] is just the kxk identity matrix?

Artusartos said:
So [itex][T]_B[/itex] is just the kxk identity matrix?
No, because T doesn't map each element of B to itself.
In fact, T maps [itex]b_0[/itex] to [itex]b_1[/itex]. Therefore the first column of [itex][T]_B[/itex] should be the [itex][b_1]_B = [Av]_B[/itex], which is what?

jbunniii said:
No, because T doesn't map each element of B to itself.
In fact, T maps [itex]b_0[/itex] to [itex]b_1[/itex]. Therefore the first column of [itex][T]_B[/itex] should be the [itex][b_1]_B = [Av]_B[/itex], which is what?

But didn't you say that

[itex]v_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex]?

So...

[itex][Av]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex]
[itex][A^2v]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex]
[itex][A^{k-1}v]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &1\end{array}]^T[/itex]

So aren't these the columns of [itex][T]_B[/itex]? So why isn't it the identity matrix?

Artusartos said:
But didn't you say that

[itex]v_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex]?

So...

[itex][Av]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex]
[itex][A^2v]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex]
[itex][A^{k-1}v]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &1\end{array}]^T[/itex]

So aren't these the columns of [itex][T]_B[/itex]? So why isn't it the identity matrix?

Well, the first column of [itex][T]_B[/itex] is [itex][Tv]_B = [Av]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex] so already it can't be the identity matrix.

jbunniii said:
Well, the first column of [itex][T]_B[/itex] is [itex][Tv]_B = [Av]_B = [\begin{array}{cccccc} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & \ldots &0\end{array}]^T[/itex] so already it can't be the identity matrix.

Oh, I get...thanks. But for the last one, we won't be able to write it with numbers, right? [itex]A^kv[/itex] must be some linear combination of the basis, but we can't know exactly what...right? So we just write...

[itex][T]_B[/itex] = [\begin{array}{cccccc} c_1 & c_2 & \ldots &c_k\end{array}]^T[/itex]

Artusartos said:
Oh, I get...thanks. But for the last one, we won't be able to write it with numbers, right? [itex]A^kv[/itex] must be some linear combination of the basis, but we can't know exactly what...right? So we just write...

[itex][T]_B[/itex] = [\begin{array}{cccccc} c_1 & c_2 & \ldots &c_k\end{array}]^T[/itex]

Offhand I'm not sure about the last column. I'm not sure if there is enough information given to know [itex]T(A^{k-1}v)[/itex] in terms of B. Maybe think about the fact that [itex]v[/itex], [itex]Av[/itex], [itex]A^2v[/itex], ..., [itex]A^{k-1}v[/itex] form a basis. This wouldn't necessarily be true for arbitrary A and v, so this gives you some information about A and v. I'll think about this some more and let you know if I have an idea.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the last column can be anything. It doesn't even have to be linearly independent of the other columns as there's nothing in the problem that requires T to be invertible.

jbunniii said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the last column can be anything. It doesn't even have to be linearly independent of the other columns as there's nothing in the problem that requires T to be invertible.

Alright, thanks a lot. :biggrin:

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the space. This means that the transformation preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is a change of basis?

A change of basis is a transformation that changes the coordinate system used to represent a vector. It is often used in linear algebra to simplify calculations and solve problems involving linear transformations.

3. How is a linear transformation affected by a change of basis?

A linear transformation is affected by a change of basis because the transformation is based on the coordinate system used to represent the vector. When the basis changes, the coordinates of the vector also change, and therefore the transformation results may also change.

4. What is the purpose of a change of basis in linear algebra?

The purpose of a change of basis in linear algebra is to simplify calculations and problem-solving involving linear transformations. By changing the basis, we can often transform a complex problem into a simpler one, making it easier to solve.

5. How do you perform a change of basis for a linear transformation?

To perform a change of basis for a linear transformation, you first need to determine the transformation matrix that represents the change in basis. This can be done by finding the basis vectors in the new coordinate system and expressing them in terms of the basis vectors in the original coordinate system. Then, you can use this transformation matrix to transform the original vector into the new coordinate system.