Study Physics instead of Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between electrical engineering and physics. One person is considering studying physics instead of electrical engineering, and wonders if they would be able to do the same things as an electrical engineer. The other person believes that electrical engineering is more than just a simplified form of physics and that there are significant differences in topics and prerequisite knowledge required.
Genecks
When going college for the first time, I thought about becoming an electrical engineer. As time passed by, I began to notice electrical engineering was primarily based on physics. I have thought about going back into electrical engineering for the longest time, but I don't if it would be more wise to study physics.

From my understanding, electrical engineering is a simplied form of physics that relate to electrical engineering. A person could study physics that relate to EE and do essentially what an EE can do. Is that right?

Would I be able to study physics instead of electrical engineering and do the same thing as the EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you and I are in the same boat...

I very highly doubt it. Even electrophysics subareas in electrical engineering study vastly different topics than pure physicists. Add on to that topics such as computer engineering, communication theory, and controls theory which really have nothing more to do with physics than to math or any other field of engineering.

I think it is because electrical engineers have to have significant prerequisite knowledge in physics in order to go into the more advanced areas of EE. I would not think ee is a "simplified" version of physics...

1. Why should I study physics instead of electrical engineering?

Studying physics allows you to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world. This knowledge can be applied to a wide range of fields, including electrical engineering.

2. How will studying physics benefit my career in comparison to electrical engineering?

While both fields offer valuable skills and knowledge, studying physics can provide a strong foundation for a career in a variety of industries, including research, technology, and even finance. Additionally, a physics degree can also open doors to pursuing advanced degrees in fields such as engineering or medicine.

3. Is physics more difficult to study than electrical engineering?

This is subjective and depends on individual strengths and interests. Both fields involve complex concepts and require strong mathematical skills. However, physics may involve a more theoretical and conceptual approach, while electrical engineering may involve more practical applications and hands-on work.

4. Can I still work in the field of electrical engineering with a degree in physics?

Yes, many physics graduates go on to work in various fields of engineering, including electrical engineering. Their strong understanding of fundamental principles and problem-solving skills make them valuable assets in this field.

5. Are the job opportunities in physics as plentiful as in electrical engineering?

The job market for physics graduates is diverse and constantly growing. While there may be more specific job opportunities in electrical engineering, a degree in physics can lead to a variety of careers in research, technology, education, and other industries.