Which Canadian university is best to study Physics at?

In summary: ILC is a great option for missing prerequisites, but it's not a requirement. If you have the grades and the test scores, you should be able to get into any physics program. There is a big difference between doing an Honours programme vs. a normal major, but it's mostly about research opportunities and having more credits.
My honest advice to you, is to go to the University that cost you less money among those 3. This might not be a problem for you considering that, non-professional programs have relatively cheap tuition.

In terms the education you will get, I doubt you would lack anything if you choose one over the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theorem. said:
The U of A has excellent specialization and honours program as well as resources and opportunities. If you are looking at overall departments, I would say that UofT and UofA both have incredibly strong chemistry departments and UBC has an exceptional physics department. But in all honesty, when it comes down to your undergraduate degree the story is completely different. All 3 schools are more or less equivalent. you would not be risking any graduate studies opportunities and would receive a good undergraduate education (at any of these schools). Oh and hey remember when Richard Taylor won the Nobel Prize in physics? yeah he was a U of A physics undergrad.
Well that just made my day, as I'm really glad UoA is regarded as really good in teaching undergrads Physics. It still was a hard choice and if the cost was equal I'd probably pick UBC just for the sake of the city and overall reputation of the university. But that's water under the bridge now and I certainly am not going to think about "what ifs". I'm just going to try and make the best of what UoA and the city of Edmonton have to offer. I'm not used to such cold, though :smile:
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
My honest advice to you, is to go to the University that cost you less money among those 3. This might not be a problem for you considering that, non-professional programs have relatively cheap tuition.

In terms the education you will get, I doubt you would lack anything if you choose one over the other.
See above :wink: As for costs, though, I wouldn't say tuition is cheap, at least not when you're an international student.

i say University of Toronto S.t George

oh yeah don't of think going cheap uni make sure it has rep as in well known, so after you finish your undergrad you actually get a job.

Adding to this thread I would like to ask which program would be better to enter to be prepared to study in Theoretical Physics for a graduate degree?
University of Waterloo Pure Mathematics:
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept/Undergrad/undergrad.shtml
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept/Undergrad/Courses/schedule.May2010.pdf
University of Waterloo Mathematical Physics:
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/AM_Dept/mathPhys/
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/AM_Dept/undergrad/courses.shtml
McGill Mathematics and Physics Joint Honours:
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/math.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryker said:
See above :wink: As for costs, though, I wouldn't say tuition is cheap, at least not when you're an international student.

Oh yeah, that always sucks. You will probably be paying around 12k/year on tuition excluding Res and other necessities.

To be honest with you, if I were you I would rather school in toronto; it's easier to rough things out here.Plus, things are more lively and interesting over here and not to mention less cold.

I school in toronto btw :) lol.

Adding to this thread I would like to ask which program would be better to enter to be prepared to study in Theoretical Physics for a graduate degree?
University of Waterloo Pure Mathematics:
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept...ndergrad.shtml
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept...le.May2010.pdf
University of Waterloo Mathematical Physics:
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/AM_Dept/mathPhys/
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/AM_Dept.../courses.shtml
McGill Mathematics and Physics Joint Honours:
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/math.html
ut

when I was doing my research I compared those programs as well. To tell the truth I was most interested in U of T's and McGill's, but I did apply to waterloo and UBC as well.
There's a member here nicksauce who did his undergrad in physics at mcgill, he may be able to give you more info on the program.
But from my viewpoint McGill's program seems really solid, and Montreal is beautiful. I would also consider U of T, but it's up to you. Waterloo may be really good if you're into the computational side (you have to take CS courses at waterloo 2 I think or the special CS148).
It all depends on your interests lifestyle etc but if you consider reputation then McGill is the more obvious choice.

BTW waterloo has 2 math/physics programs, one in the faculty of math and the other in the faculty of sciences. Be careful they are really similar but you never know.

Disclaimer: I am attending Toronto this fall so I am not really a good info source. But I did research these programs,

Last edited by a moderator:
I school in toronto btw :) lol.

U of T? If you are which year and program?? I'm going there this fall so I want some as much background knowledge as I can get

Thanks, do you think Pure Mathematics is considerable if you want to study Theoretical Physics or is the best approach Mathematical Physics or Joint Honours Mathematics and Physics.

iratern said:
U of T? If you are which year and program?? I'm going there this fall so I want some as much background knowledge as I can get

Oh dear, no. I do not go to uofT.

I attend Ryerson and I just completed my 2nd Year in Electrical Engineering.

However, a lot of my friends from Highschool did eventually chose to go there.

I was supposed to study pure math at uoft in the fall of 2008 however, my parents persuaded to otherwise and I ended up in engineering at Ryerson Uni.

Last edited:
Kevin_Axion said:
Thanks, do you think Pure Mathematics is considerable if you want to study Theoretical Physics or is the best approach Mathematical Physics or Joint Honours Mathematics and Physics.

The latter. Certain math courses aren't as useful as others (for physics), so if you choose the joint honours degree, you'll learn only the necessary math and also the more math oriented physics.

I would recommend McGill for that program btw. I'm in the majors program, but I'm envious of those in the joint honours program :). Also, Montreal is a beautiful city (not that Toronto isn't).

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Oh yeah, that always sucks. You will probably be paying around 12k/year on tuition excluding Res and other necessities.
Even more than that. And there are actually significant differences between universities, as well. UBC, for example, would have me pay ~$CAD 23.5k, UofT ~$CAD 24.5k and UofA ~$CAD 19k per year. So yeah, it's pretty expensive going there and not studying at home.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
To be honest with you, if I were you I would rather school in toronto; it's easier to rough things out here.Plus, things are more lively and interesting over here and not to mention less cold.
Heh, what do you mean by rough things out? I mean, in any case, the decision has already been made, regretfully out of financial reasons mostly, but like I said, I'm pretty sure I'll get a good education in Alberta, as well, and right now I don't regret my choice. I do agree with the lively, interesting and less cold part, however, and those were some of the reasons why all other things equal I would have preferred to live in Vancouver or Toronto.

Ryker said:
Even more than that. And there are actually significant differences between universities, as well. UBC, for example, would have me pay ~$CAD 23.5k, UofT ~$CAD 24.5k and UofA ~$CAD 19k per year. So yeah, it's pretty expensive going there and not studying at home.
Lmao. They are definitely out to milk you. U Of A was a better idea. Besides, U of T is notorious for zero scholarships, unless you're getting 4.0 you are not getting anything.

Heh, what do you mean by rough things out? I mean, in any case, the decision has already been made, regretfully out of financial reasons mostly, but like I said, I'm pretty sure I'll get a good education in Alberta, as well, and right now I don't regret my choice. I do agree with the lively, interesting and less cold part, however, and those were some of the reasons why all other things equal I would have preferred to live in Vancouver or Toronto.
I think you made a good decision. Regardless of whatever difference in education exist between Uof and Uof A or UBC and Uof A I doubt it would be worth the extra pocket cash of 4.5k/year.

Honestly, in Canada most schools provide the same education. The only difference you may see is in exams and student quality ; different schools focus on different things and "better" school attract better minds. The difference in exam content is usually affected by the research or general interest of the professor. The course content of most Canadian Universities are extremely identical; same textbooks even. The whole , this university is much better than that one thing, is largely due to the fanboyism of the students and the age of the school.

Go to U of A try to get good grades and make lasting friendships with some profs ( for good references in case you are thinking of grad school ). If you can do this I don't think you will have any problems in your future endeavours.

By going to U of A you aren't selling yourself short; I assume you.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Lmao. They are definitely out to milk you. U Of A was a better idea. Besides, U of T is notorious for zero scholarships, unless you're getting 4.0 you are not getting anything.

I think you made a good decision. Regardless of whatever difference in education exist between Uof and Uof A or UBC and Uof A I doubt it would be worth the extra pocket cash of 4.5k/year.
The difference would be even greater, as I got a scholarship at UofA, whereas with UBC and UofT I didn't. Taking everything into consideration I think the difference (depending on whether I perform well enough to retain the scholarship in upper years) would be in the range of $CAD 30 - 50k, though of course it's hard to consider job opportunities and other factors that can later come into play and help alleviate the financial burden.
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Honestly, in Canada most schools provide the same education. The only difference you may see is in exams and student quality ; different schools focus on different things and "better" school attract better minds. The difference in exam content is usually affected by the research or general interest of the professor. The course content of most Canadian Universities are extremely identical; same textbooks even. The whole , this university is much better than that one thing, is largely due to the fanboyism of the students and the age of the school.

Go to U of A try to get good grades and make lasting friendships with some profs ( for good references in case you are thinking of grad school ). If you can do this I don't think you will have any problems in your future endeavours.

By going to U of A you aren't selling yourself short; I assume you.
Again, good to hear. I'll be sure to make the most of it and not regret not being at another institution. My first and foremost wish was to go to Canada, anyway.

Ryker said:
The difference would be even greater, as I got a scholarship at UofA, whereas with UBC and UofT I didn't. Taking everything into consideration I think the difference (depending on whether I perform well enough to retain the scholarship in upper years) would be in the range of $CAD 30 - 50k, though of course it's hard to consider job opportunities and other factors that can later come into play and help alleviate the financial burden.
Great to hear ! Those scholarships help alot!
Ryker said:
Again, good to hear. I'll be sure to make the most of it and not regret not being at another institution. My first and foremost wish was to go to Canada, anyway.

EDIT **
Make the most of it, man!

When I first got into Ryerson I regretted it a bit but I have come to like it. I believe I have had some opportunities that I won't have had, if I had been else where. After my second year, I was granted a 5k scholarship and a job at hydro one, plus I was able to get NSERC and a bunch of other scholarships. The scholarship at Hydro One was given to me and another girl from U of T; which is why I have come to believe that I didn't make such a bad decision .To get NSERC at U of T is very challenging, considering the enormous amount of competition ( u of t is a much larger school than Ryerson). I believe the relative "smallness" of my school worked to my advantage.

What I am trying to say is that, going to Ryerson turned out to be a blessing rather than a mistake. And in no way has my position as a Ryerson Student affected any of my opportunities ,in fact ,it has had the opposite effect.That scholarship you got has opened up a lot of opportunities for you; you won't realize until later. As much as scholarships are supposed to be "fair" , a lot of scholarship committees would most likely give you another scholarship if you previously had one.

At least that is how it worked for NSERC! The more accomplishements you have ,apart from a 3.7gpa or what not, the more favorable you are.Enjoy your time at U of A, the benefit of going there is already apparent.

Last edited: