Trigonometric Half Angle Formula Explained and Applied

• Thread starter jrjack
  • Start date
In summary, the person was struggling with finding the value of tan(1/2 arcsin(-7/25)) and was unsure if they needed to use the half-angle formula. They eventually realized they had a mistake in their formula and needed to rationalize the denominator, leading to the final answer of -1/7. The conversation also highlighted the usefulness of using a calculator to check for correct answers.
jrjack

Homework Statement

[tex]\tan[\frac{1}{2} \arcsin(\frac{-7}{25})][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to take 1/2 the arcsin, should this use the half-angle formula?

Normally I would draw a triangle using the sin value (-7/25), then find the tan value (24/25), but the 1/2 is throwing me off.

How do I start this? Is this 1/2 the sin value (-7/25)= -7/50, then solve for the tan(-7/50)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the tangent half angle formula. tan(x/2)=??

Thanks, so i get

[tex]-\sqrt{26}[/tex]

Does that sound right?

jrjack said:
Thanks, so i get

[tex]-\sqrt{26}[/tex]

Does that sound right?

arcsin(-7/25) is about -0.3. If you take half of that and take the tangent, it's nowhere near -sqrt(26) which is about -5. Is it? You can check these solutions using rough estimates or a calculator.

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos x}{1-\cos x}}[/tex]
[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{24}{25}}{1-\frac{24}{25}}}[/tex]
[tex]=-\sqrt{26}[/tex]

jrjack said:
[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos x}{1-\cos x}}[/tex]
[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1+\frac{24}{25}}{1-\frac{24}{25}}}[/tex]
[tex]=-\sqrt{26}[/tex]

tan(0/2)=0. If you put x=0 into your supposed half angle formula, what do you get? Does it work?

Sorry, I now realize I have my signs flipped in my formula.
I think my answer should be:[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1}{26}}[/tex]

jrjack said:
Sorry, I now realize I have my signs flipped in my formula.
I think my answer should be:[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{1}{26}}[/tex]

That doesn't work either because (1-24/25)/(1+24/25) isn't equal to 1/26. Now what's it really equal to??

Sorry, I got in a hurry, between typing the tex and working the problem several different ways (wrong of course).

It should equal 1/49, which means my answer should be [itex]-\sqrt{\frac{1}{49}}[/itex]

jrjack said:
Sorry, I got in a hurry, between typing the tex and working the problem several different ways (wrong of course).

It should equal 1/49, which means my answer should be [itex]-\sqrt{\frac{1}{49}}[/itex]

Ok, aside from the fact there is a simpler way to write -1/sqrt(49) could you try and check that using a calculator from your original expression? It's really useful to have a simple way of self-checking whether you are way off or not.

Thank you for your help.
I realize I still need to rationalize the denominator, and after checking with my calculator both answers come out to -.142857, so that must be correct.

My final answer should be -1/7

Once again, thank you for your help.

jrjack said:
Thank you for your help.
I realize I still need to rationalize the denominator, and after checking with my calculator both answers come out to -.142857, so that must be correct.

My final answer should be -1/7

Once again, thank you for your help.

Very welcome and quite right. The main lesson is how easy these answers are to check with a calculator.

1. What is the value of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)]?

The value of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] is approximately -0.28.

2. How do you find the value of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)]?

To find the value of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)], you can use a scientific calculator or follow the formula: tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] = √[(1-cos[arcsin(-7/25)])/2].

3. What is the domain of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)]?

The domain of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] is all real numbers except for -1 and 1, since these values would result in division by zero.

4. Is tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] a positive or negative number?

The value of tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] is negative, as the angle 1/2 arcsin(-7/25) is in the third quadrant where tangents are negative.

5. Can you simplify tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] further?

Yes, you can simplify tan[1/2 arcsin(-7/25)] using trigonometric identities to get a more simplified expression. However, the value will remain the same.