Physics Extended Essay: Robotics & Physics Ideas

In summary, a student is working on an Extended Essay in Physics for the IB diploma and is considering relating robotics to physics as the main theme. They are seeking ideas for topics but are advised to consult with their thesis advisor early in order to find a suitable and specialized topic that would qualify for the essay.
jinwo9104
hi guys!
I'm doing my Extended Essay in Physics for IB diploma.
Im thinking of relating robotics with physics.
Physics must be the main theme for the essay and i should relate robotics into physics.
Please help me guys.
What are the topics that i can do?
Please give me some ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would strongly suggest that you consult with your thesis advisor. I'm many years removed from the IB program (and I wrote, but ultimately did not complete, my extended essay in History) but you would need to find a very specialized topic in order to have it qualify, and it'd have to be more physics-y rather than technical or engineering (If I Recall Correctly). Something along the lines of, say, capacitive sensing for obstacle detection.

Alternately, something like simple control of a robotic arm, might qualify under Mathematics and Computer Science.

Again, and I can't emphasize this point enough, consult your advisor, and do it early (especially if you discover that you need to find another one). I didn't, left the topic far too long, and ended up not completing my extended essay (the relative indifference and hands-off philosophy of my advisor may also have played a part, but I probably could've gone to another advisor at my high school, had it been early enough).

That sounds like an interesting and challenging topic for your Extended Essay! Robotics is a rapidly growing field that heavily relies on principles of physics to design and control robots. There are many potential topics that you can explore within this theme.

One idea could be to investigate the physics behind the movement and locomotion of robots. This could include analyzing the forces and torques involved in different types of robot movements, such as walking, crawling, or flying. You could also explore how different physical properties, such as center of mass and inertia, affect the stability and control of robots.

Another idea could be to study the use of sensors and actuators in robotics and how they utilize principles of physics. This could include researching different types of sensors and their applications in robotics, as well as the physics behind how actuators, such as motors and hydraulics, work to control robot movements.

You could also examine the physics behind the design and construction of robots. This could involve studying materials and their properties, as well as the principles of mechanics and electromagnetism that are used to create functional and efficient robots.

Additionally, you could explore the role of physics in the development of artificial intelligence in robotics. This could include investigating how physics-based algorithms and models are used to improve the decision-making and problem-solving abilities of robots.

Overall, there are many interesting and relevant topics within the intersection of robotics and physics that you can choose from for your Extended Essay. I recommend doing some further research and discussing your ideas with your teacher or mentor to determine which topic would be the best fit for you and your interests. Good luck!

What is a Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas?

A Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas is a research project that explores the intersection of physics and robotics. It involves investigating a specific topic or question related to robotics and using the principles of physics to analyze and understand it. This type of essay is typically completed by high school or IB physics students.

What are some possible topics for a Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas?

Some possible topics for a Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas include: the use of sensors in robotics, the physics of balance and stability in humanoid robots, the mechanics of robotic movement, the role of energy and power in robotics, and the application of physics in designing and controlling robotic arms.

How does a Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas differ from a regular physics essay?

A Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas differs from a regular physics essay in that it focuses specifically on the application of physics principles in the field of robotics. It requires a deeper understanding of both physics and robotics, as well as the ability to critically analyze and interpret data from experimental or theoretical research. Additionally, an Extended Essay is a longer and more in-depth project, typically around 4000 words, compared to a regular physics essay.

What skills and knowledge are needed to write a successful Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas?

To write a successful Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas, one needs a strong foundation in physics principles, particularly in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and energy. It is also helpful to have prior knowledge of robotics and programming, as well as critical thinking and research skills. Additionally, good time management and organization are crucial for effectively completing the project.

How can a Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas contribute to the field of robotics?

A Physics Extended Essay on Robotics & Physics Ideas has the potential to contribute to the field of robotics by providing new insights and understanding of the principles and mechanics involved in creating and controlling robots. It can also propose potential solutions or improvements to current challenges in robotics. Additionally, the research and experimentation done for the essay may serve as a basis for further development and advancement in the field.