What is the rotation matrix and R the Euler?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ADK method for researching the ionization rate of molecules. One question that arises is about the rotation matrix and Euler angles between the molecular axis and the field vector, as referenced in a 2002 PHYSICAL REVIEW A article. The conversation suggests looking at the Wikipedia page on Euler angles for information on the transformation matrices. It is assumed that the Euler angles in question are the angle and dihedral angle between the field vector and the molecular axis.
peggy
Hello every one, I am a new comer.

During my research of ionization rate of molecule using ADK method, I meet a question.

What is the rotation matrix and R the Euler angles between the molecular axis (in Eq. (8) of reference PHYSICAL REVIEW A, 66, 033402 (2002)) and what form is the rotation matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
Well the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles#Matrix_expression_for_Euler_rotations" on Euler angles has the transformation matricies right there.

Since that article seems to be about diatomics (didn't read the whole thing), I'd assume the Euler angles in question are the angle and dihedral angle between the field vector and the molecular axis.

Thank very much, I will read carefully!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the rotation matrix?

The rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the rotation of an object in a three-dimensional space. It is a 3x3 matrix that contains the cosines and sines of the angles of rotation around each axis.

What is R in the Euler rotation?

R in the Euler rotation refers to the rotation matrix that is used to represent the rotation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. It is a combination of three individual rotations around the x, y, and z axes.

Why is the rotation matrix important in physics?

The rotation matrix is important in physics because it allows us to mathematically describe the rotation of an object in three-dimensional space. It is used in many applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and mechanics.

What is the difference between a rotation matrix and a transformation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a type of transformation matrix that is used specifically for rotations. A transformation matrix, on the other hand, can describe a variety of transformations, including translations, reflections, and shears.

Can a rotation matrix represent any rotation?

No, a rotation matrix can only represent rotations around the x, y, and z axes. It cannot represent more complex rotations, such as non-uniform or non-orthogonal rotations.