Calculating Divergence With Spherical Coords

In summary, to calculate div v, use the formula for a gradient in spherical coordinates and find the functions in front of \hat r, \hat \theta and \hat \phi. Make sure to eliminate any extra hats and expand the derivatives.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

Calculate div v.

v= r sin(θ) r + r sin(2θ) cos(φ) θ + r cos(2θ) φ.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never had to do a problem like this using spherical coords, so I am not sure where to start. I have the general formula though.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've shown is not a vector. I'm guessing you omitted putting hats on some of the symbols, like [tex]\hat r[/tex]. But if you have the formula for a gradient in spherical coordinates, just use it. Find the functions in front of [tex]\hat r[/tex], [tex]\hat \theta[/tex] and [tex]\hat \phi[/tex] and use it.

What I have so far is attached (as 6B). Am I on the right track?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/maherelharake/photo-25.jpg

maherelharake said:
What I have so far is attached (as 6B). Am I on the right track?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/maherelharake/photo-25.jpg

Some parts are right. You got some extra hats hanging around. The divergence should be a scalar, right? It shouldn't have any vector parts. And you haven't expanded your derivatives yet.

Thank you for responding.
I was still working on it, I just wanted to see if I was on the right track. What about now?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 507

Related to Calculating Divergence With Spherical Coords

1. What is divergence in spherical coordinates?

In mathematics and physics, divergence is a measure of the magnitude of a vector field's source or sink at a given point, in this case in spherical coordinates. It represents the amount of flux flowing out of or into a closed surface at that point.

2. How do you calculate divergence in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, divergence can be calculated using the following formula:

∇ · F = 1/r² (∂(r²F_r)/∂r + ∂(sinθF_θ)/∂θ + ∂(F_φ)/∂φ)

Where F_r, F_θ, and F_φ are the components of the vector field in the radial, polar, and azimuthal directions, respectively.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates to calculate divergence?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates is that it is well-suited for problems with spherical symmetry, such as those involving spherical objects or fields that radiate outwards from a central point. It also simplifies calculations in certain physical systems, such as those involving electric or magnetic fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates for calculating divergence?

Yes, there are some limitations to using spherical coordinates for calculating divergence. One limitation is that it is not well-suited for problems with non-spherical or irregularly shaped objects. Additionally, the formula for calculating divergence in spherical coordinates can be more complex than in other coordinate systems, making it more difficult to apply in certain situations.

5. How is divergence related to other vector calculus operations?

Divergence is one of the fundamental vector calculus operations, along with gradient and curl. It is related to these operations through the divergence theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the enclosed volume. This theorem allows for the conversion of a surface integral to a volume integral and vice versa.