Rate of Change - Just checking

In summary, the problem involves pouring sand into a conical pile with the height equal to the diameter. The sand is poured at a constant rate of 5m^3/s and the question is asking for the rate at which the height of the pile is increasing when the height is 2 meters. Using the formula v = (1/3)πr^2, along with the known fact that r' = h'/2, the solution is found to be h' = 5/π.
kevinr
[SOLVED] Rate of Change - Just checking

Homework Statement

Sand is poured into a conical pile with the height of the pile equaling the diameter of the pile. If the sand is poured at a constant rate of 5m^3/s at what rate is the height of the pile increasing when height is 2 meters.

Homework Equations

v = [tex](1/3)\pi r^2[/tex]
r' = h' / 2 (i think this is right - not sure)

The Attempt at a Solution

So i got
v' = [tex](1/3)\pi (2rr'h + r^2h')[/tex]

So i have 2 unknowns r' and h'. Since we can make the connection that r' = h'/2 i replace that in the equation and get:

v' = [tex](1/3)\pi (2r(h'/2)h + r^2h')[/tex] ->

r = 1
h = 2

SO:

v' = [tex](1/3)\pi (2h' + h')[/tex] ->
h' = [tex]5/\pi[/tex]

Im not sure if this answer is right but if you can please check over my work, i would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would have been better to have clearly stated somewhere that v'= 5, but it's obvious that you did use that. Yes, that is the correct answer.

Sorry i thought it was in the problem question i posted.

Well thanks!

1. What is rate of change?

The rate of change is a measure of how much a quantity changes over a specific period of time. It is commonly represented as a ratio of the change in the dependent variable to the change in the independent variable.

2. How is rate of change calculated?

The rate of change is calculated by taking the difference between two points on a graph and dividing it by the difference in the corresponding values of the independent variable. This can also be expressed mathematically as (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

3. What is the unit of measurement for rate of change?

The unit of measurement for rate of change depends on the units of the quantities being measured. For example, if the dependent variable is distance and the independent variable is time, the unit of measurement for rate of change would be distance per unit of time (such as meters per second).

4. How is rate of change used in science?

Rate of change is used in various scientific fields to analyze and understand how a particular quantity is changing over time. It can be used to predict future trends, identify patterns, and make comparisons between different systems or processes.

5. Can rate of change be negative?

Yes, rate of change can be negative. This indicates that the dependent variable is decreasing as the independent variable increases. For example, if the rate of change for temperature is negative, it means that the temperature is decreasing as time goes on.