Orbit radius of 2 collided satellites

In summary, the two satellites have to have a different orbit radius in order to move in a circular path. The orbit radius is 9 times the radius of the satellites.
adiggy93

Homework Statement

Two satellites have mistakenly been put in identical Earth orbits of radius R. Satellite A with mass "m" is orbiting clockwise while satellite B with mass "2m" is orbiting counterclocwise. The two satellites have a head on collision and move as one body after the collision. In terms on the given quantities, what orbit radius would the collided objects have to possesses in order to move in a circular path?

2. Homework Equations /Attempt
I believe that since the satellites are orbiting at the same radius, the are orbiting at the same speed so
Va = - Vb

I can get a quarter of it but I'm not even sure if it's right:

(3m)(vf)²/(Rf) = ?

using the collision formula to get vf
mVa + 2mVb = 3m Vf
Vf = (Va - 2Vb)/3

so (3m)[(Va - Vb)/3]/Rf = ?

I'm very stuck. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, do you know these formulas?
[tex] K_{s}=\frac{mv^{2}}{2}= \frac{GMm}{2r}[/tex]

The formulas that I learned were mv^2/r = GMm/r^2

Well, they are the same thing. Since you think the satellites before they collide have the same speed, use your formula to check it.

but how? the masses of the satellites cancel out and the radius of orbit is unkown.

adiggy93 said:
but how? the masses of the satellites cancel out and the radius of orbit is unkown.
Exactly, the masses cancel out. The speed is not dependent on the mass. Therefore, their speeds are the same.

Ah ok. But now I have to find the orbit radius but in terms of the quantities given to me in the problem, which were just m & 2m.

Before you go on with the orbit radius, why don't you plug in the speed since you know they are the same?

By plugging the speed in do you just mean putting in the variable and manipulating the formula so the radius is isolated? Because the speed itself is unknown even though I know the speeds are the same.

Sorry, should have been more clear. According to your formula, if we want to find r, we have to first find V. Now we know [tex]v_{a}=v_{b}[/tex], go back to the Conservation of Momentum formula or the collision formula and find V.

a friend of mine came up with this as the answer. I'm not sure if it's right though.

Va = - Vb
so let's just write Vi as V

V²/R = GM/R²
V = √(GM/R)

now using the formula for an inelastic equation to find Vf

mV - 2mV = 3mVf
Vf = -V/3

replace v with √(GM/Ri)
Vf = -[√(GM/Ri)]/3

Then move on the the new mass, AB, the combined satellites, with a mass of 3m:

(3m)Vf²/Rf = (3m) GM/Rf²
Vf²/Rf = GM/Rf²

replace Vf with what you found above

[-(√(GM/Ri))/3]²/Rf = GM/Rf²

simplify

[(GM/Ri)/9]/Rf = GM/Rf²

simplify more

(GM/9Ri)/Rf = GM/Rf²

and more

(GM)(Rf²) = (GM)(9Ri)(Rf)

cancel out the Gmp's and then divide each side by Rf and so you get to

Rf = 9Ri

Looks good for me.

alright. thank you so much for the help :)

Related to Orbit radius of 2 collided satellites

What is the orbit radius of two collided satellites?

The orbit radius of two collided satellites depends on various factors such as the mass and velocity of the satellites, the angle and location of the collision, and the gravitational pull of other objects in space. It can range from a few hundred kilometers to thousands of kilometers.

How does the orbit radius change after a collision?

The orbit radius of the collided satellites can change in two ways: it can either increase or decrease. If the collision is head-on, the orbit radius may decrease due to the conservation of momentum. On the other hand, if the collision is at an angle, the orbit radius may increase as the satellites may be pushed to a higher orbit.

Can the orbit radius of two collided satellites be calculated?

Yes, the orbit radius of two collided satellites can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the Law of Conservation of Momentum and the Law of Universal Gravitation. However, due to the complex nature of collisions, the calculations may not always be accurate.

What happens to the orbit radius if the satellites do not collide head-on?

If the satellites do not collide head-on, the orbit radius may change depending on the angle and location of the collision. If the collision is at an angle, the orbit radius may change in a more unpredictable manner as the satellites may be pushed into a different orbit or may be completely destroyed.

Can the orbit radius of two collided satellites be adjusted?

In some cases, the orbit radius of two collided satellites can be adjusted using thrusters or other technologies. However, this can only be done if the satellites are still functioning and have the capability to maneuver in space.