Time taken to travel x meters with constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation involves a person trying to solve a problem involving a rocket traveling with an acceleration of 20m/s^2 and reaching a specific height. The concept of kinematics is mentioned and four formulas are provided to help solve the problem. The person confirms the starting velocity is 0 and uses the formula d = vi * t + 0.5 * a * t^2 to calculate the time it takes to reach the given height. They make a mistake in their calculation, but after receiving help, they are able to solve the problem correctly.
the_cloud
Hi, I'm trying to solve something that I'm very sure is simple, I just can't seem to find the right equation.

A rocket is traveling straight up, with an acceleration of 20m/s^2. I need to know how long it takes to reach a height of 1379.8m (this is the second part of a question).

I am confused about the acceleration. Does the fact that it's traveling at 20m/s mean that after 2 seconds it's traveling at 400 m/s and at 3 seconds it's traveling at 800 m/s?

And to work out the time it takes to travel that far the equation would be t = 1379.8 / ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not "travelling at 20 m/s". The acceleration of 20 m/s^2 means that's the velocity increases by an additional 20 m/s every second. But you need another "given" number to solve this problem, so was it also given that it began at rest, so that the initial velocity can be set to zero? If that's number is also given, you have enough information. Then you need the topic called "kinematics", which provides four formulas. One of those formulas mentions these variables: displacement, initial velocity, acceleration and time.

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]dv={a}*{dt}[/tex]
[tex]v=at+v_0[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]dx={v}*{dt}[/tex]
[tex]x=x_0+{v_o}{t}+\frac{1}{2}{a}{t}^2[/tex]

Yep, the starting velocity was 0. I'll look into kinematics and see if I can make sense of those formulas.

OK, so I've had a go. Can someone please check my answer and see if it's correct? (Sorry for the crappy formatting, I'm not sure how to do sub\superscripts)

initial velocity = 0;
acceleration = 20m/s^2;
displacement = 1379.8;

d = vi * t + 0.5 * a * t^2
1379.8 = 0m/s * t + 0.5 * 20m/s^2 * t^2
1379.8 = (0m) * t + 10m/s^2 * t^2
1379.8 / -10 = t^2
SQRT(-137.98) = t //?
t = 11.746 seconds

I'm not really sure how I ended up with a negative in my square root, but using the positive I get a number that seems reasonable.

Your answer is fine.
the_cloud said:
I'm not really sure how I ended up with a negative in my square root,
When you divided both sides by 10, for some reason you added a negative sign. (Perhaps you were mixing that up with subtracting 10 from both sides?)

Ah, yep I did. Thanks for everyones help.

1. How do you calculate the time taken to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration?

The time taken to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula t = √(2d/a), where t is the time, d is the distance, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the unit of measurement for time taken with constant acceleration?

The unit of measurement for time taken with constant acceleration is usually seconds (s).

3. Does the mass of the object affect the time taken to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the time taken to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration. The only factors that affect the time are the distance and acceleration.

4. Can the time taken to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration be negative?

No, the time taken to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration can never be negative. Time is always a positive value.

5. How does increasing the acceleration affect the time taken to travel a certain distance?

Increasing the acceleration will decrease the time taken to travel a certain distance. This is because a higher acceleration means the object will cover the distance in a shorter amount of time.