Calculate Voltage Across Resistor Without Voltmeter

In summary: If that still doesn't give you the answer, then you can try breaking the voltmeter into an ideal voltmeter and the internal resistance of it. How would this configuration look like ;)actuallt the diagram is shown in series, but the question is asking about the voltage across the resistor, not the voltmeter.
kyip
A voltmeter with internal resistance of 100k ohm reads 40V across the 200k ohm resistor of the circuit. Determine the actual voltage across the resistor( without the voltmeter)

my anawer:
across 100k ohm = 13V
across 200k ohm = 26.7 V
is it correct ?
but it seems to be wrong..
so anyone can help ?
thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Try breaking the "real" voltmeter, into an ideal voltmeter and the internal resistance of it. How would this configuration look like ;)

actuallt the diagram is

Code:
┌------W (100k ohm) -------------┐
│                                 │
---                                      (200k ohm)  
 -                                              │
---                                            │
 -                                              │
└---------------------------------┘
well, the diagram is shown in series
but the question is saying '' across'' ?
so... i don't know ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you can measure voltage between the two nodes of the resistor, hence you have to put parallel with the resistor, that's what it means by across.

Now how can you split the voltmeter into an ideal voltmeter and its internal resistance?

kyip said:
A voltmeter with internal resistance of 100k ohm reads 40V across the 200k ohm resistor of the circuit. Determine the actual voltage across the resistor( without the voltmeter)

my anawer:
across 100k ohm = 13V
across 200k ohm = 26.7 V
is it correct ?
but it seems to be wrong..
so anyone can help ?
thx

We need to see the actual circuit in order to answer the question.

The circuit in post #3 is not displaying properly. Could you do it this way instead:
[noparse]
Code:
{post ciruit diagram here}
[/noparse]

Then we should be able to see what is going on.

kyip, please do all correspondence about this problem by posting here in this thread.

If you have an online image of the circuit diagram:

[noparse][/noparse][i][size=2]the URL of the image goes here[/size][/i]

For example, typing

[noparse][PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/avatar122961_23.gif[/noparse]

will display this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/avatar122961_23.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, now I can see the updated circuit diagram in post #3.

When the 100 kΩ voltmeter is connected across (i.e., in parallel with the 200 kΩ resistor, that will change the net resistance of that component.

So, first try solving the circuit with the extra 100 kΩ voltmeter there.

1. How can I calculate the voltage across a resistor without using a voltmeter?

One way to calculate the voltage across a resistor without a voltmeter is by using Ohm's Law. This law states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). Therefore, if you know the current flowing through the resistor and the resistance value, you can calculate the voltage using the formula V = I x R.

2. Can I use a multimeter to measure the voltage across a resistor?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the voltage across a resistor. Most multimeters have a setting to measure DC voltage, which can be used to measure the voltage drop across a resistor. Simply connect the multimeter leads in parallel with the resistor and select the appropriate voltage range on the multimeter.

3. Is there a way to estimate the voltage across a resistor without any equipment?

Yes, you can estimate the voltage across a resistor by using the color bands on the resistor to determine its resistance value. Once you know the resistance value, you can use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage. However, this method may not be as accurate as using a voltmeter or multimeter.

4. Can I calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit with multiple resistors?

Yes, you can still calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit with multiple resistors. You will need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of the voltages in a closed loop circuit is equal to zero. By applying this law and using the resistance values of each resistor, you can calculate the voltage across a specific resistor in the circuit.

5. What are some common reasons for needing to calculate the voltage across a resistor without a voltmeter?

One common reason for needing to calculate the voltage across a resistor without a voltmeter is if the voltmeter is not available or not functioning properly. Another reason could be to test the accuracy of a voltmeter by comparing the calculated voltage to the measured voltage. Additionally, some electronic circuits may require precise voltage measurements that cannot be obtained with a standard voltmeter, so calculating the voltage is necessary.