Chances of getting into Aerospace MS with Applied Physics BS

In summary, the speaker is an Applied Physics major who will be graduating soon and plans to apply to grad school for a masters in aerospace engineering. They have taken relevant courses in fluid dynamics, engineering, and other physics subjects. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances of being accepted into a program and which aerospace fields would be a good fit for their degree. Suggestions include excelling on standardized tests, taking aerodynamics courses, and getting involved in aerospace research or internships. However, the speaker mentions limitations such as not having access to aeronautical engineering courses at their current university and the requirement of being enrolled during internships.
jastley
I'm a Applied Physics major at a UC and will be graduating in April. I will be applying to grad school in the fall and I am considering trying to get into a masters program in aerospace engineering. I am curious about the chances of making that transition. I have taken an upper division fluid dynamics course as well as a lower div engineering course focusing on statics, drafting and cad. Most of my other course work falls under E&M, quantum, thermo and classical mech. What steps could be taken to make myself a more attractive candidate and which aerospace fields would be a better fit given my degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
jastley said:
What steps could be taken to make myself a more attractive candidate...

Do really well on whatever standardized tests the programs you apply to require.

Try taking some aerodynamics courses if there is still time. Also try to get an internship or get involved in aerospace related research at your school.

Most engineering programs just require the general gre test, however, I will be taking the physics gre because I plan to apply to some physics programs as back ups. As far as taking more courses, not really an option considering I'm completing my B.S in two months and there are no aeronautical engineering courses at my university. Internships sound good but it seems most require that you be in enrolled at a university during the internship.

I can say that your chances of getting into an Aerospace MS program with an Applied Physics BS degree are definitely possible. Your background in fluid dynamics, engineering, and core physics courses make you a strong candidate for a transition into aerospace engineering.

To make yourself a more attractive candidate, I would suggest taking additional courses in aerospace engineering or related fields such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and spacecraft design. You can also consider pursuing research projects or internships in the aerospace industry to gain practical experience.

In terms of which aerospace fields would be a better fit for you, it ultimately depends on your interests and goals. With your background in fluid dynamics and engineering, you could potentially excel in areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, or spacecraft design. However, with your strong foundation in core physics courses, you may also be well-suited for fields such as space physics or astrophysics within the aerospace industry.

Overall, I would recommend researching different aerospace programs and their course offerings to determine which aligns best with your interests and qualifications. Additionally, reaching out to faculty and current graduate students in those programs can provide valuable insights and guidance for your application process. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is the typical educational background for an Aerospace MS program?

Most Aerospace MS programs require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as engineering, physics, or mathematics. However, some programs may also consider applicants with a strong background in other sciences or a relevant work experience.

2. How important is the GPA in the application process?

The GPA is an important factor in the application process, as it reflects a candidate's academic performance. However, it is not the only determining factor. Admissions committees also consider other factors, such as letters of recommendation, personal statement, and relevant research or work experience.

3. Can I get into an Aerospace MS program with a Bachelor's degree in Applied Physics?

Yes, it is possible to get into an Aerospace MS program with a Bachelor's degree in Applied Physics. However, you may need to have a strong background in mathematics and engineering courses to be competitive in the application process.

4. What other qualifications or experiences can increase my chances of getting into an Aerospace MS program?

In addition to a strong academic background, relevant research experience, internships, and publications in the field of Aerospace can increase your chances of getting into an MS program. Also, having a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation can make a positive impact on your application.

5. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering to get into an Aerospace MS program?

No, it is not necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering to get into an Aerospace MS program. Many programs accept applicants from a variety of science and engineering backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in relevant coursework and demonstrate a passion for Aerospace.