Unable to understand Open Set

• Thread starter phiby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, an open set is a set where any point can be moved a small amount in any direction and still remain in the set. This is different from a closed set, where there are points on the boundary that cannot be moved without leaving the set. This concept is important in point set topology and can be illustrated by the example of open and closed intervals on the real line. It is also related to the idea of a neighborhood of a point, where the points within a certain radius of the point are considered to be in its neighborhood. It is important to understand the difference between < and <= in order to fully grasp the concept of open sets.
phiby
Unable to understand "Open Set"

I keep reading the definition of an open set & neighborhood, but I just don't seem to get it.

This is the defn - "a set U is open if any point x in U can be "moved" a small amount in any direction and still be in the set U."

I don't see how this condition can ever be satisfied.

For eg, after this, it typically says - "an open set is a solid region minus its boundary".

I don't understand this because a solid region minus the boundary does have a boundary. It's just that the new boundary is slightly smaller as compared to the previous boundary i.e. I am not able to grok the concept of how a point at the edge of a region can be moved outwards and still remain in the region.

Can someone explain this?

Same thing with understanding "Neighbourhood of a point" also?

Is there something else I need to study to understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org

phiby said:
I keep reading the definition of an open set & neighborhood, but I just don't seem to get it.

This is the defn - "a set U is open if any point x in U can be "moved" a small amount in any direction and still be in the set U."

One example of an open set is {(0,1)} which is the set of points on the open interval of real numbers where the points 0 and 1 are not in the set. This is indicated by the use of parenthesis. If we write {[0,1]} using brackets, we've indicated the points 0 and 1 are in the set. This is a closed interval.

In point set topology, the same relationship holds for open and closed balls. In both cases interior points are infinite in number, so for any interior point in an open ball, its neighborhood contains only interior points. However, closed balls include points whose neighborhood, no matter how small, include exterior points.

A neighborhood may be defined by a radius r centered on a point where the magnitude of r approaches zero as a limit.

Last edited:

phiby said:

For eg, after this, it typically says - "an open set is a solid region minus its boundary".

I don't understand this because a solid region minus the boundary does have a boundary. It's just that the new boundary is slightly smaller as compared to the previous boundary
No, that's not true. In the real line, the closed interval, [0, 1] has the two points 0 and 1 as boundary. The open interval, (0, 1) ([0,1] minus its boudary) does NOT have a "slightly smaller" boundary, precisely because there is no "next larger number" to 0 and no "next smaller number" to 1. The boundary of the set (0, 1) is still the two points 0 and 1. [0, 1] and (0, 1) have exactly the same boundary. The only difference between [0, 1] and (0, 1) is that [0, 1] contains all of its boundary while (0, 1) contains none of its boundary. You are saying (perhaps without realizing it) that "The set [itex]\{y| y< 1\}[/itex] is the same as [itex]\{y| y\le x\}[/itex] for some number x< 1" which is not true.

i.e. I am not able to grok the concept of how a point at the edge of a region can be moved outwards and still remain in the region.

Can someone explain this?

Same thing with understanding "Neighbourhood of a point" also?

Is there something else I need to study to understand this?
You need to review the distinction between "[itex]<[/itex]" and "[itex]\le[/itex]".

phiby said:

Just apply the definition to the open interval (0,1). For every point x near the boundary (x=0.99 for example), you can find other points which lie between x and the boundary. This is not true for the closed interval [0,1].

phiby,

Where did you get the definition of "open set" in your original post? It isn't the correct mathematical definition. It's someone's attempt to rephrase the correct definition into language that appeals to the intuition.

Ok - I got it now.

I guess I misunderstood the original defn. I thought it meant you need to find a solid which did not have a boundary - which is not possible. What you need to do is to find a solid & exclude it's boundary - the new solid does have a new smaller boundary, but that boundary is not the boundary of your "Open set" - so that's OK.

And I do understand the diff between < & <=. I just misunderstood the remaining part of the original definition.

FYI, I found the defn on Wikipedia - I was reading a book on Computer Graphics. The book defined open set in a more mathematical way which was not easy to understand - hence I checked wikipedia.

phiby said:
FYI, I found the defn on Wikipedia

What you quoted is part of the intuitive discussion in the wikipedia article; it isn't from the mathematical definitions given in the article. The intuitive discussion is only to help your intuition. It doesn't provide a mathematical definition.

phiby said:
Ok - I got it now.

I guess I misunderstood the original defn. I thought it meant you need to find a solid which did not have a boundary - which is not possible. What you need to do is to find a solid & exclude it's boundary - the new solid does have a new smaller boundary, but that boundary is not the boundary of your "Open set" - so that's OK.

You still don't seem to get it. What is the lower boundary of the open interval (0,1)? For any number greater than zero, there is a smaller number greater than zero. For a solid the same principle holds. The neighborhood of every point in an open ball contains only interior points. I think I stated this clearly in post 2. This is equivalent to the neighborhood of any point on the open real number interval (0,1) not containing 0 or 1.

Last edited:

SW VandeCarr said:
You still don't seem to get it. What is the lower boundary of the open interval (0,1)? For any number greater than zero, there is a smaller number greater than zero. For a solid the same principle holds. The neighborhood of every point in an open ball contains only interior points. I think I stated this clearly in post 2. This is equivalent to the neighborhood of any point on the open real number interval (0,1) not containing 0 or 1.

I got this fully - I just am not able to put it into proper words like you guys.

Stephen Tashi said:
What you quoted is part of the intuitive discussion in the wikipedia article; it isn't from the mathematical definitions given in the article. The intuitive discussion is only to help your intuition. It doesn't provide a mathematical definition.

The mathematical defn isn't important to me. I am just trying to understand the general concept as a base for Graphics.

Related to Unable to understand Open Set

1. What is the concept of "Open Set" in science?

The concept of "Open Set" in science refers to a set of data or observations that is not fully understood or explained by current theories or knowledge. It is an area of study that requires further investigation and research to gain a better understanding.

2. How is an "Open Set" different from a "Closed Set"?

An "Open Set" is a set of data or observations that is not yet fully understood or explained, while a "Closed Set" is a set of data or observations that is well-understood and can be explained by current theories or knowledge. "Open Sets" are areas of study that require further research, while "Closed Sets" do not.

3. What are some examples of "Open Sets" in science?

Examples of "Open Sets" in science include dark matter, quantum entanglement, and the origins of the universe. These areas of study are still not fully understood and require further research to gain a better understanding.

4. Why is it important for scientists to study "Open Sets"?

Studying "Open Sets" is important for scientists because it allows for the advancement of knowledge and understanding in various fields of science. It also allows for the development of new theories and technologies that can have practical applications in our daily lives.

5. How do scientists approach studying "Open Sets"?

Scientists approach studying "Open Sets" by conducting research, experiments, and observations to gather data and evidence. They also use critical thinking and the scientific method to analyze and interpret the data, which can lead to new discoveries and a better understanding of the "Open Set". Collaboration and peer review are also important in the study of "Open Sets" as it allows for the exchange of ideas and ensures the validity of the research.