What is the related rates problem for a ladder leaning against a wall?

In summary, the ladder is moving down the wall at a rate of 2 feet per second. The triangle formed by the ladder, house and ground is changing by an area of -7 feet per second.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

A ladder of 25 feet long is leaning against the wall of a house. The base of the ladder is pulled away at 2 ft per second.

(a) How fast is the top of the ladder moving down the wall when the base is seven feet from the wall?

(b) Consider the triangle formed by the side of the house, ladder and ground. Find the rate at which the area of the triangle is changing when the ladder is 7 feet from the wall.

(c) Find the rate at which the angle between the ladder and wall is changing when the base of the ladder is 7 ft from the wall.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) x=7ft y= 24 (pythag thm) dx/dt=2ft/s dy/dt=?

[tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=25^{2}[/tex]

[tex]2x\frac{dx}{dt}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{2x\frac{dx}{dt}}{-2y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{-7}{12}ft/s[/tex]

I feel like part A is correct. Part B is where I'm stuck:
(b)

[tex]A=\frac{1}{2}xy[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dx}{dt}\bullet\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Here I was going to plug in dx/dt and dy/dt from part (a) but it gives me the same solution as part (a). What should I do?

(c) Not sure about (c) either, assuming I need to start with sine theta, but I want to get on top of part B first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part b: you need to apply derivation rules correctly, then reuse what you found in part a.

Ah jeez, I always make a mistake like that. OK, now I have dA/dt= 527/24 ft^2/sec.

Alright, now on to part (c):

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{O}{H}=\frac{x}{y}[/tex]

[tex]cos\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{y\frac{dx}{dt}-x\frac{dy}{dt}}{y^{2}}[/tex]

Can I just calculate Theta from the triangle, plug in everything then solve for dT/dt?

1. How do you approach solving a related rates ladder problem?

Solving a related rates ladder problem involves identifying the variables involved, setting up an equation relating those variables, and then taking the derivative with respect to time in order to solve for the rate of change of one of the variables.

2. What are the common mistakes that people make when solving a related rates ladder problem?

The most common mistake when solving a related rates ladder problem is not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change. Another mistake is not setting up the equation correctly or not taking the derivative properly.

3. What is the significance of the Pythagorean theorem in related rates ladder problems?

The Pythagorean theorem is essential in related rates ladder problems because it allows us to relate the changing lengths of the ladder and the wall to each other using a constant value (the hypotenuse). This forms the basis for the equation used to solve the problem.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life situation that can be modeled using a related rates ladder problem?

One example could be a firefighter extending a ladder against a burning building. The rate at which the ladder is moving and the rate at which the base of the ladder is moving can be related using a related rates ladder problem.

5. How can related rates ladder problems be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Related rates ladder problems can be applied to other mathematical concepts such as optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. They can also be used in physics to model the motion of objects, such as a falling ladder.