Do not know where to begin

• Thread starter gmuniz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the distance at which a proton, moving towards an infinitely long line of charge with a linear charge density of 6.50*10^-12 C/m at a speed of 2900 m/s, will have all of its kinetic energy converted to potential energy. The conversation also mentions using integration to find the potential at the starting point and using variables to get a general expression for future use.
gmuniz
Q An infinitely long line of charge has a linear charge density of 6.50*10^-12 C/m. a proton is a distance of 17.5 cm from the line and moving directly toward the line with a speed of 2900 m/s. How close does the proton get to the line charge? I am lost and do not know how to approach the problem or set it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
from taht distance what is the potential due to this infinite rod?
When the proton gets as close as it can all of its kinetic energy will be converted to potential energy
[tex] q (V_{f} - V_{i}) = \frac{1}{2} m_{p} v^2 [/tex]

Cna you find the potential at the starting point using integration? Try using variables so you cna get a general expresion. It will be useful later on.

I understand that approaching a problem can sometimes feel overwhelming. However, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. In this case, we can start by identifying the given information: the linear charge density of the line, the distance of the proton from the line, and the speed of the proton.

Next, we can use the equation for electric field, E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the line charge. We can rearrange this equation to solve for r, which represents the distance at which the electric field will be strong enough to affect the motion of the proton.

Once we have solved for r, we can use the equation for electric force, F = qE, where q is the charge of the proton and E is the electric field, to calculate the force acting on the proton. This force will cause the proton to change its direction and move closer to the line charge.

Finally, we can use the equations for motion, such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, t is the time, and s is the displacement, to determine the distance at which the proton will get closest to the line charge.

It is also important to note any assumptions or simplifications made in solving this problem. For example, we assume that the line charge is infinitely long and that the proton is a point charge. These assumptions may affect the accuracy of our solution.

In conclusion, by breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using relevant equations, we can approach and solve this problem. It is important to stay organized and keep track of units and assumptions to ensure an accurate solution.

1. How do I determine the scope of my project?

The first step is to clearly define the goals and objectives of your project. This will help you determine the scope and the specific tasks that need to be completed. Make a list of all the elements and features that you want to include in your project and prioritize them based on their importance.

2. What research should I conduct before starting my project?

Before beginning your project, it's important to research any existing work or studies related to your topic. This will help you understand what has already been done and what gaps exist that your project can address. It's also important to research any relevant methodologies, techniques, or tools that can aid in your project.

3. How do I create a timeline for my project?

Creating a timeline for your project is crucial for staying organized and on track. Start by breaking down your project into smaller tasks and estimating the time needed for each task. Consider any potential roadblocks or delays and factor those into your timeline. Be sure to leave some buffer time in case of unexpected challenges.

4. What are some common challenges when starting a project?

Some common challenges when starting a project include not having a clear understanding of the project goals, poor time management, lack of resources, and communication issues. It's important to address these challenges early on and have a plan in place to overcome them.

5. How do I know when my project is complete?

It's important to have a clear definition of what "complete" means for your project. This could be when all the project goals and objectives have been met, all tasks have been completed, and any necessary testing and evaluation have been conducted. It's also important to have a way to measure the success of your project and ensure that it has met its intended purpose.