More linear charge density troubles....

In summary: So, $$\Delta K=-\Delta U$$In summary, a problem involving an infinitely long line of charge with a linear charge density of 4.00e-12 C/m and a proton with a mass of 1.67e-27 kg and a charge of 1.602e-19 C moving towards the line at a speed of 1000 m/s is solved using the principle of conservation of energy. By equating initial potential and kinetic energy to final mechanical energy, it is determined that the proton will get as close as 0.18 m from the line before bouncing back. The calculations are verified to be correct, and the principles of conservative forces and energy are emphasized as important concepts to understand and apply
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

An infinitely long line of charge has linear charge density ##λ=4.00_{10^{−12}} \frac{C}{m}##. A proton (mass ##m_p=1.67_{10^{-27}}kg##, charge ##e=1.602_{10^{-19}}C##) is ##r_a=0.18m## from the line and moving directly toward the line at ##v=1000\frac{m}{s}##.

Homework Equations

##dQ=λdl=λdy##
##\hat{r}=\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+y^2}}##
XFmLOon.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I start by equating initial potential and kinetic energy to final mechanical energy, which is just final potential energy, since the proton has stopped moving. So... ##K_0+U_0=U_f##. What I had trouble doing was expressing ##U## in terms of the linear charge density. This is what I did.

##F=\frac{1}{4\pi ε_0}(q)⋅∫\frac{dQ}{r^2+y^2}\hat {r}=\frac{1}{4\pi ε_0}(λq)⋅∫\frac{dy}{r^2+y^2}\hat {r}##
##F=\frac{1}{4\pi ε_0}(λq)⋅∫\frac{rdy}{\sqrt{(r^2+y^2)^3}}=\frac{λqr}{4\pi ε_0}∫\frac{dy}{\sqrt{(r^2+y^2)^3}}##

Let ##y=rtan\theta##. Then ##dy=rsec^2\theta d\theta## and ##\sqrt{(r^2+y^2)^3}=r^3sec^3\theta##. So...

##F=\frac{λqr}{4\pi ε_0}∫\frac{rsec^2\theta d\theta}{r^3sec^3\theta}=\frac{λq}{4\pi ε_0⋅r}∫cos\theta d\theta=\frac{λq}{4\pi ε_0⋅r}sin\theta##

Or, switching back to regular coordinates...

##F=\frac{λq}{4\pi ε_0⋅r}(\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^2+r^2}})## on ##-\infty < y < \infty##
So I get ##F=\frac{2λq}{4\pi ε_0⋅r}##

Then I want to integrate over ##dr##.

##∫F⋅dr=W=\frac{2λq}{4\pi ε_0}⋅\int_{r_a}^{r_b} \frac{dr}{r}=\frac{2λq}{4\pi ε_0}⋅ln|r|## on ##r_b<r<r_a##

Then I plug this into my formula for ##K+U_0=U_f##, given that ##W=-ΔU=-(U_f-U_0)##. I solve for ##r_b##, and that's my process. Can anyone tell me if I messed up anywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
An infinitely long line of charge has linear charge density λ=4.0010−12Cmλ=4.0010−12Cmλ=4.00_{10^{−12}} \frac{C}{m}. A proton (mass mp=1.6710−27kgmp=1.6710−27kgm_p=1.67_{10^{-27}}kg, charge e=1.60210−19Ce=1.60210−19Ce=1.602_{10^{-19}}C) is ra=0.18mra=0.18mr_a=0.18m from the line and moving directly toward the line at v=1000msv=1000msv=1000\frac{m}{s}.
So what is the question?

Oops. Forgot to copy-paste that. Basically, it's: "How close does the proton get to the line of charge before bouncing back?"

So I tested it out, and it turns out I'm right. I won't be needing any more input as a result.

I have reviewed your calculations and see the process all correct. It is a very clear problem of application of energy theorems.Remenber $$W_{conservative}=-\Delta U$$ The minus sign is very important. Maybe you've applied a recipe formula but you've done well.

On the other hand, because there are only conservative forces (electrostatical force is conservative), you can apply the principle of conservation of energy between the initial and final points (this is another point of view). $$K_{0}+U_{0}=K_{1}+U_{1}$$ where the final kinetic energy K1 is zero, since it stops.
I remember you the two principal energetic theorems in mechanics because, they are very very importants. If you meditate and solve problems with them you will learn a lot. The minus sign is very important. $$W_{total}=\Delta K$$ $$W_{conservative}=-\Delta U$$

1. What is linear charge density?

Linear charge density is a measure of the electric charge per unit length along a line or wire. It is typically denoted by the symbol λ and has units of coulombs per meter (C/m).

2. How is linear charge density calculated?

Linear charge density can be calculated by dividing the total charge along a line or wire by its length. Mathematically, it is expressed as λ = Q/L, where Q is the total charge and L is the length of the line or wire.

3. What is the difference between linear and surface charge density?

Linear charge density refers to the charge distributed along a line or wire, while surface charge density refers to the charge distributed over a surface or area. Linear charge density has units of C/m, while surface charge density has units of C/m².

4. How does linear charge density affect electric fields?

Linear charge density plays a role in determining the strength and direction of electric fields. The higher the linear charge density, the stronger the electric field will be at a given distance from the line or wire.

5. What are some common problems involving linear charge density?

Common problems involving linear charge density include finding the electric field at a certain point near a charged wire, calculating the force between two parallel wires with different linear charge densities, and determining the potential difference between two points along a charged line.