Solving PDE for F and F' in 2D Space: Relation between Variables x, t and t

• Thread starter Arjun S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between two functions, F and F', in different coordinate systems. The given equation shows how their partial derivatives with respect to time and space are related. It is mentioned that another constraint is needed to find a relation between F and F'. The possibility of obtaining this relation is also mentioned, but the problem is deemed unsolvable without another constraint.
Arjun S
If I have a function "F" in a two-dimensional space F(x,t) and its analog F' in another co-ordinate system F'(x',t') and the relation between the two is given by :

∂F/∂t −c(∂F/∂x) =∂F ′/ ∂t ′

How do I find a relation between F and F ′ and between the variables x,t and t ′ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you also had:

∂F'/∂t' −c(∂F'/∂x') =∂F / ∂t

Then you'll get: F'_x' = -F_x.
But you still need another constraint to find a relation between F and F'.

The problem as it is stated doesn't seem to me solvable, perhaps someone else knows better than me.

Related to Solving PDE for F and F' in 2D Space: Relation between Variables x, t and t

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields.

2. How do I solve a PDE?

The process of solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and any given boundary conditions. This can be done analytically, using techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, or numerically using computer algorithms.

3. What are some common techniques for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include the method of characteristics, separation of variables, finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. The choice of technique depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include modeling weather patterns, predicting stock market fluctuations, designing aircraft wings, and simulating nuclear reactions. They are also used in fields such as image processing, computer graphics, and medical imaging.

5. What are the challenges of solving PDEs?

Solving PDEs can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the need for specialized mathematical techniques. It can also be computationally intensive, especially for high-dimensional problems. Additionally, obtaining accurate and reliable solutions can be difficult, as small errors can quickly accumulate and affect the results.