How Does Magnet Quantity Affect Descent Speed in a Copper Pipe?

In summary, the conversation was about creating a thesis and hypothesis for a lab involving bundles of magnets. The question at hand was whether the bundle would descend slower or faster with more magnets. The attempted solution suggested that the increased number of magnets would result in a slower descent due to a greater magnetic force. However, there was uncertainty about how to explain this phenomenon.
S M O K E

Homework Statement

So i had to make a thesis and hypothesis for this lab where i have magnets in bundles all of the same mass some with more magnets in them than others. I have to do a lab and an analysis of how it relates to forces and energy and work

Homework Equations

Does the bundle go slower or faster with more magnets? why?

The Attempt at a Solution

What i think is that the more magnets in the bundle the slower it descends because it is more magnetic. but i don't really understand how i would explain this or how it really works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thesis: The number of magnets in a bundle affects the speed at which the bundle descends.Hypothesis: The bundle with more magnets will descend slower than the bundle with fewer magnets because the increased number of magnets creates a greater magnetic force, slowing the descent.

1. How does the magnet move down the copper pipe?

The magnet moves down the copper pipe due to a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. When a magnet moves through a conductive material like copper, it creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the copper pipe. This current then creates its own magnetic field that interacts with the magnet, causing it to move.

2. Why does the magnet slow down as it moves down the copper pipe?

The magnet slows down as it moves down the copper pipe because of a concept known as Lenz's Law. This law states that the induced current in the copper pipe will always flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that created it. As the magnet moves down the pipe, the magnetic field it creates changes, and the induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes this change, resulting in the magnet slowing down.

3. Can any magnet move down a copper pipe?

No, not all magnets can move down a copper pipe. The magnet must be strong enough to create a changing magnetic field and induce a current in the copper pipe. Magnets made of iron, cobalt, and nickel, known as ferromagnetic materials, are the most effective at inducing a current in copper.

4. Does the diameter of the copper pipe affect the movement of the magnet?

Yes, the diameter of the copper pipe can affect the movement of the magnet. A wider diameter pipe will have more surface area for the induced current to flow, resulting in a stronger magnetic field and potentially a faster movement of the magnet. A narrower diameter pipe will have less surface area, resulting in a weaker magnetic field and a slower movement of the magnet.

5. Can the magnet continue to move forever down the copper pipe?

No, the magnet will eventually come to a stop due to the resistance of the copper pipe. As the magnet moves, it creates an electric current, and this current experiences resistance as it flows through the pipe. This resistance converts some of the electric energy into heat, causing the magnet to lose energy and eventually come to a stop.