Electronic engineering degree final year project ideas

In summary: I'm not sure if it's really feasible or not. Also, if you're looking to create a working prototype, you'll need to purchase some equipment and learn a bit about electronics. You might be able to find someone to mentor you or find a class.In summary, the student is looking to do a project in their Industrial Electronic and control engineering degree that is relevant to their work. They are unsure of how to model an idea and are looking for ideas or suggestions. The student is also looking for advice on how to do their project and what equipment they will need to purchase. They are unsure if the project is feasible or not.
ewrwdk
Hi,

I am looking to start preparing for my final year project in my Industrial Electronic and control engineering degree and I'm trying to figure out a good strong, realistic scope for my project.

I'm a part time student already working within the automotive industry.

I have one idea to deep dive into a current engineering issue relating to electrical connections but
I'm unsure how to model this?

Any ideas around titles, or scope or even examples on the net or finding good 1st class project would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
ewrwdk said:
Hi,

I am looking to start preparing for my final year project in my Industrial Electronic and control engineering degree and I'm trying to figure out a good strong, realistic scope for my project.

I'm a part time student already working within the automotive industry.

I have one idea to deep dive into a current engineering issue relating to electrical connections but
I'm unsure how to model this?

Any ideas around titles, or scope or even examples on the net or finding good 1st class project would be much appreciated

Welcome to the PF.

What kind of work do you do now in the automotive industry? It seems like your best bet for a project would be to do something that is applicable to your work.

Hi,

I'm actually a product engineering working within the seating sector, therefore we have some electronics but mostly controlled within the main vehicle ECU rather than the seating itself but I'm hoping to stay within the automotive side of things to use my knowledge.

I was maybe thinking of a blind spot detection system, or a breathalyzer detection system but feel this may be too complex and probably wouldn't be able to even product product

HELP! :)

ewrwdk said:
blind spot detection system, or a breathalyzer detection

Does it need to be something original or can you replicate something that already exists (seeing how both those exist in one form or another).

I don't think the blind spot system would be too difficult with the right parts :)
Other ideas off the top of my head:
-adaptive lights of some form (either the lights that turn with the curve or auto-dimming highbeams)
-Some form of rear park assist
-Some system to alert the driver when they're falling asleep

the research, and work carried out must be original but the idea I suppose could already exist, however I think the better results would come from an original project.

Any of the automotive ideas though, I'm worried of how I could possibly implement these? Would it maybe be better to produce the idea onto a buggy or some device.

Would I think perform my research on different programming languages etc?

Cheers

How about an "app" that sends OBD codes and their meaning to owner's cellphone or laptop;
along with graphics showing where the offending sensor (or whatever) is physically located;
as well as physical routing of the wiring harness that feeds it, with connector locations highlihgted;
and the fuse that powers it ?

There's codes nowadays telling me things aren't working that i don't even know what they are, let alone where.
It took me a whole day to locate a "fuel tank vent leakage check solenoid" .

ewrwdk said:
Hi,

I'm actually a product engineering working within the seating sector, therefore we have some electronics but mostly controlled within the main vehicle ECU rather than the seating itself but I'm hoping to stay within the automotive side of things to use my knowledge.

I was maybe thinking of a blind spot detection system, or a breathalyzer detection system but feel this may be too complex and probably wouldn't be able to even product product

HELP! :)

Haha the blind spot detection system is something I was thinking about doing for fun and installing on my car, not for a project. I think it'd be easier than you think. The breathalyzer, I'm not sure how to do - maybe someone with more experience with this could help you out.

Good luck.

Haha the blind spot detection system is something I was thinking about

Hi,

Have you seen similar systems implemented?

Using computer based programming or PLC type?

Cheers

Hey ewrwdk,

What are your project parameters? Specifically, do you have a budget, and what is your end goal? Do you want a working prototype, or a model? I think that the blind spot detection system, or similar device is doable.

I think the way I would try an implement this would to have laser rangefinders (you can use an xbox kinect for example, or here's an elegant solution using an arduino: http://youtu.be/SYZVOF4ERHQ) relaying distance information to your microcontroller which can then send outputs to an led array. This may be too simplistic for a senior project, however.

A more complicated project might be to attempt a parallel parking control using the above sensors. This could get hairy quickly and would require a bit of a foray into robotics and computer vision (I would imagine).

Cheers,
Mathieu

1. What are some good project ideas for an electronic engineering degree final year project?

Some good project ideas for an electronic engineering degree final year project include designing and building a smart home system, developing a renewable energy monitoring system, creating a wireless sensor network, designing a neural network-based controller, and developing a gesture-controlled robot.

2. How do I come up with a unique and innovative project idea for my final year project?

To come up with a unique and innovative project idea, you can start by identifying a problem or need in society that can be solved or improved through technology. You can also research current trends and advancements in the field of electronic engineering and explore potential applications for your project.

3. Can I collaborate with other students or professionals on my final year project?

Yes, collaborating with other students or professionals on your final year project can bring fresh perspectives and ideas, as well as enhance your project's overall quality. You can collaborate with students from other departments or universities, or seek guidance from industry professionals.

4. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a final year project idea?

When choosing a final year project idea, some important factors to consider include your interests and strengths, the availability of resources and equipment, the potential impact and practicality of the project, and the guidance and support available from your university or supervisor.

5. How can I ensure the success of my final year project?

To ensure the success of your final year project, it is important to plan and manage your time effectively, conduct thorough research and experimentation, seek feedback and guidance from your supervisor, and continuously evaluate and improve your project. Additionally, it is essential to have a clear understanding of the project requirements and to have a passion for your chosen topic.