Isomorphism between groups, direct product, lcm, and gcd

In summary: XZp1q1gcd(a,b)X...XZpkqlgcd(a,b), which is the same as Zpk1X...XZpikiXgcd(a,b)X...XZql1X...XZqlnXgcd(a,b).On the other hand, ZdXZm = Zgcd(a,b)XZlcm(a,b). But we know that gcd(a,b) = P' and lcm(a,b) = A'*B'*P', so ZdXZm = ZP'XZA'*B'*P' = ZP'XA'*B'*P' = Zpk1X...XZpikiXgcd(a,b)XZA
Daveyboy
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a,b, be positive integers, and let d=gcd(a,b) and m=lcm(a,b). Show ZaXZb isomorphic to ZdXZm

Homework Equations

m=lcm(a,b) implies a|m, b|m and if a,b|c then m|c.
d=gcd(a,b) implies d|a, d|b and if c|a and c|b then d|c

let n be an integer with prime decomposition n=p1a1...pkak
then Zn=Zp1a1X...XZp1ak

The Attempt at a Solution

It is clear that d|m

I considered the prime decomposition of a and b as sets, denote as A and B respectively, and consider the intersection, call this set P. intersection(A,B) = P

Call the product of the elements in this set P'. I claim P' = gcd(a,b), this should be clear.

Then I considered the lcm as the product of the elements in A-P and B-P call these sets A' and B' respectively.

Now we can write the d = lcm(a,b) =A'*B'*P' and this should be clear.

So... now I want to use the isomorphism as described as in the section above, but I don't know what to do. I think I should use ZaXZb is isomorphic to something like
(*)
Zp1k1X...XZpikiXZq1l1X...XZpnln.

where p are the primes of a and q are the primes of b.

Great and now I want to show that that ZdXZm is isomorphic to the same thing, but I'm starting to think that it is not.

I need to make an argument stronger that one of just cardinality, but I don't know what. I'm feel that I need to justify stuff in (*) but I'm not even sure if it is true!

It took me a long time to think of this and I really need to get it done... help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

First, let's review the definitions of gcd and lcm:

-gcd(a,b) = the greatest positive integer that divides both a and b.
-lcm(a,b) = the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both a and b.

Now, let's look at the sets A and B as you defined them. A = {p1, p2, ..., pk} and B = {q1, q2, ..., ql}. Then, the intersection A∩B = {p1, p2, ..., pk, q1, q2, ..., ql}, which we can write as P = {p1, p2, ..., pk, q1, q2, ..., ql}.

Next, we can write A' = A-P and B' = B-P, which means that A' = {p1, p2, ..., pk} and B' = {q1, q2, ..., ql}. Then, the product A'*B' = {p1, p2, ..., pk}*{q1, q2, ..., ql} = {p1q1, p1q2, ..., p1ql, p2q1, p2q2, ..., p2ql, ..., pkq1, pkq2, ..., pkql}.

Since P' = gcd(a,b), we know that P' divides both a and b. Therefore, A'*B'*P' = {p1q1, p1q2, ..., p1ql, p2q1, p2q2, ..., p2ql, ..., pkq1, pkq2, ..., pkql}*gcd(a,b) = {p1q1gcd(a,b), p1q2gcd(a,b), ..., p1qlgcd(a,b), p2q1gcd(a,b), p2q2gcd(a,b), ..., p2qlgcd(a,b), ..., pkq1gcd(a,b), pkq2gcd(a,b), ..., pkqlgcd(a,b)}.

Now, let's look at the sets (*) and ZdXZm. In (*) we have Zp1k1X...XZpikiXZq1l1X...XZpnln, which is the same as Zpk1X...XZpikiXZql1X...XZqln. This is the same as Zpk1X...XZ

1. What is an isomorphism between groups?

An isomorphism between groups is a bijective function that preserves the group structure. This means that for any two elements in the group, their operation and identity elements remain the same after the function is applied.

2. How do you determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, you need to find a bijective function between them that preserves the group structure. This can be done by checking if the operation and identity elements are preserved, and if the function is both injective and surjective.

3. What is a direct product of groups?

The direct product of groups is a new group formed by combining two or more groups. The elements of the direct product group are ordered pairs, where the first element comes from the first group and the second element comes from the second group. The operation on the direct product group is defined component-wise.

4. How do you calculate the least common multiple (lcm) of two numbers?

The least common multiple (lcm) of two numbers is the smallest positive number that is divisible by both numbers. To calculate the lcm, you can use the prime factorization method by finding the prime factors of each number and then multiplying the highest powers of each prime factor.

5. What is the greatest common divisor (gcd) of two numbers?

The greatest common divisor (gcd) of two numbers is the largest positive number that divides both numbers without any remainder. To calculate the gcd, you can use the Euclidean algorithm, which involves finding the remainder when the larger number is divided by the smaller number and then repeating the process with the new remainder and the previous divisor until the remainder is 0.