Proving Abelian Property of (G,°) with f(a) = a^(-1)

• Thread starter okeen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the problem asks to show that a group (G, °) with a homomorphism f(a) = a^(-1) is abelian. Using the properties of homomorphisms and the definition of abelian groups, it can be shown that a and b must commute, leading to the conclusion that (G, °) is abelian.
okeen

Homework Statement

Let (G, °) be a group such that the mapping f from G into G defined by f(a) = a^(-1) is a homomorphism. Show that (G, °) is abelian.

The Attempt at a Solution

f(a) = a^(-1)
f(a^(-1)) = f(a)^(-1) = (a^-1)^-1 = a

in order for a group to be abelian it needs to meet the requirement a(i)*a(j) = a(j) * a(i)
° 1 a a^-1
1 1 a a^-1
a a a^2 1
a^-1 a^-1 1 a

since each side of the diagonal are the same then (G, °) is abelian.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that G has only three members? Of course, every group containing 3 members is isomorphic to the rotatation group of a triangle which is abelian.

What if G contained six or more members?

I realize that my answer only takes into account for 3 members but I am having trouble coming up with a solution for all possible amounts of members

(ab)-1= a-1b-1 if and only if a and b commute.

Interestingly enough, such a homomorphism must be an automorphism...not that I think it helps for this problem. HallsOfIvy is dead on with his hint.

HallsofIvy said:
(ab)-1= a-1b-1 if and only if a and b commute.

So to follow up on that hint, see where f maps a, b and ab

1. What is the Abelian property in mathematics?

The Abelian property, also known as commutativity, is a property of a mathematical operation in which the order of the operands does not affect the result. In other words, for two elements a and b, the operation (a ° b) will yield the same result as (b ° a).

2. How is the Abelian property related to group theory?

The Abelian property is an important concept in group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups. A group is a set of elements with a binary operation that satisfies certain axioms, and an Abelian group is a group in which the operation is commutative.

3. How can the Abelian property of a group (G,°) be proven?

The Abelian property can be proven by showing that for any two elements a and b in the group, (a ° b) = (b ° a). This can be done by explicitly calculating both sides of the equation and showing that they are equal.

4. What is the significance of proving the Abelian property of a group?

Proving the Abelian property of a group is important because it helps identify and classify groups. It also allows for the use of simpler and more efficient methods in solving problems involving the group's operation.

5. How does the function f(a) = a^(-1) relate to proving the Abelian property?

The function f(a) = a^(-1) is an inverse function that is commonly used in group theory to prove the Abelian property. By showing that f(a) = a^(-1) satisfies the definition of an Abelian group, the commutativity of the group's operation can be demonstrated.