Converting from Cartesian to Cylindrical coords - but division by zero

In summary: Of course, since (0, -4) is in the third quadrant, \phi= \arctan(-4/0) is not defined. I would say x= 0, y= -4, so \theta= 3\pi/2, and z= 3.No, let's be clear: x= 0, y= -4, so \theta= 3\pi/2... and \rho= 4, of course. And z= 3, of course. So (0, -4, 3) goes to (4, 3\pi/2, 3) in polar coordinates. I can't believe I messed
VinnyCee
Converting from Cartesian to Cylindrical coords - but division by zero!

Homework Statement

Let's say I want to convert the point P(0, -4, 3) to cylindrical.

To convert from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates, one must use the formulas listed below.

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho\,=\,\sqrt{x^2\,+\,y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\phi\,=\,tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex]

[tex]z\,=\,z[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What do I do about the division by zero produced by using the second equation for [itex]\phi[/itex]?

[tex]\phi\,=\,tan^{-1}\left[\frac{(-4)}{(0)}\right][/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Becuase your point is P(0, -4, 3), really your on a 2D plane. But to explain this mathematically,

[tex]\arctan^{-1}\left(\frac{-4}{0}\right) = \arctan^{-1}(\infty) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

which is 90 degrees, so [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

and the rest should be straight forward. Hope that helps you.

I guess I should complete the question so:

[tex]\rho = \sqrt{0^2 + (-4)^2} = \sqrt(8) = 2\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]\phi = \frac{\pi}{2} = 1.57[/tex] (as shown above)
z = 3

Putting this as a vector,
[tex](\rho,\phi,z)= (2\sqrt{2},1.57,3)[/tex]

That should be the answer... but it seems a bit messy

untoldstory said:
Becuase your point is P(0, -4, 3), really your on a 2D plane. But to explain this mathematically,

[tex]\arctan^{-1}\left(\frac{-4}{0}\right) = \arctan^{-1}(\infty) = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

which is 90 degrees, so [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

and the rest should be straight forward. Hope that helps you.

Thanks! That -4/0 = [itex]\infty[/itex] should have been obvious to me!

Untoldstory, [tex]\sqrt{(0)^2\,+\,(-4)^2}\,=\,4[/tex], but otherwise it's correct:)

VinnyCee said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho\,=\,\sqrt{x^2\,+\,y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\phi\,=\,tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex]

[tex]z\,=\,z[/tex]
That is not quite the right equation for the angle. Think about it this way: What if x=y=-1? Your equation gives [itex]\phi=\arctan(-1/-1)=\arctan(1)=\pi/2[/itex]. Converting back to cartesian yields x=y=1. The problem is that the range of the inverse tangent is pi radians, but the angle needs to range over a full circle, 2*pi radians. You need to take the quadrant of the arguments into account. If you don't you will get a wrong answer. For example, 90 degrees (or pi/2) is the wrong answer.

It is always a good idea to do a sanity check on your answers when working out problems. In this case, the sanity check is to convert back to cartesian to see if you get the same point you started with.

Last edited:

So, on an x-y plane, the coordinates (0,-4) is on the negative y-axis between the third and fourth quadrants. So the angle is not really 90 degrees, but 270 degrees? Is that correct?

(0, -4, 3) has z= 3 and (x,y)= (0, -4). That point is on the y-axis, 4 units below the origin: r= 4, and [itex]\theta= -\pi/4[/itex] or [itex]\theta= 3\pi/4[/itex].

1. What is the process of converting from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates?

The process involves converting a point (x, y, z) in Cartesian coordinates to a point (ρ, θ, z) in cylindrical coordinates.

2. What is the formula for converting from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates?

The formula is ρ = √(x² + y²), θ = tan⁻¹(y/x), z = z.

3. What happens if there is a division by zero when converting to cylindrical coordinates?

If x = 0 and y = 0, then ρ = √(0² + 0²) = 0. This means that the point is located at the origin and θ is undefined. In this case, θ can be set to any value as long as it is consistent with the rest of the problem.

4. How do you handle division by zero when converting to cylindrical coordinates in a mathematical problem?

If you encounter a division by zero when solving a mathematical problem involving cylindrical coordinates, you can set θ to any value that makes sense in the context of the problem. This could be 0, π, or any other value that is consistent with the given information.

5. Can division by zero occur in other types of coordinate conversions?

Yes, division by zero can occur in other types of coordinate conversions, such as converting from Cartesian to spherical coordinates. In these cases, the same approach can be used where the undefined angle can be set to any value that makes sense in the context of the problem.