Double Slit Interference Pattern

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the width of a screen needed to observe an interference pattern produced by Young's double slit experiment. The experiment involves a narrow slit, a colored filter, and two identical slits on an opaque screen. The variables involved are Ls, w, d, \lambda0, L, and r. The equation used to calculate r is \theta = 1.22(\lambda/d) = r/L. However, the results seem too small and the person is looking for a way to determine the width of the pattern. They are directed to a website for more information on the experiment and accurate equations.
jmm5872
I am trying to calculate how wide of a screen you would need in order to observe an interference pattern produced by Young's original real-life double slit experiment. He cut a single narrow slit (width ds) in a window shade, admitting a narrow sliver of sunlight into a dark room. He inserted a colored filter into the sunbeam that transmitted a narrow band [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex] of wavelengths around a center wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex]0. A distance Ls away, the filtered beam illuminated an opaque screen in which he had cut 2 identical slits, each of width w, separated by distance d > w. He observed the interference pattern on a screen located distance L beyond the slits.

Ls = 2 m
w = 0.1mm
d = 0.25 mm
[tex]\lambda[/tex]0 = 0.5 microns
L = 4 m
r = radius of pattern (or screen needed)

Here is what I did, and my results seem too small.

[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1.22([tex]\lambda[/tex]/d) = r/L

Solving for r I got:

r = 1.22(L[tex]\lambda[/tex]/d) = 4.88 mm

Like I said, this doesn't seem correct. It seems like the entire pattern will spread out more. How can I determine the width of the pattern?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a double slit interference pattern?

A double slit interference pattern is a pattern of light and dark bands that appears when light passes through two closely spaced slits and interacts with itself. This phenomenon is a result of the wave-like nature of light and can be observed in many different types of waves, such as sound and water waves.

How is a double slit interference pattern created?

A double slit interference pattern is created when a coherent light source, such as a laser, passes through two narrow slits that are close together. The light waves from the two slits overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes.

What factors affect the appearance of a double slit interference pattern?

The appearance of a double slit interference pattern can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the two slits, the wavelength of the light, and the angle at which the light passes through the slits. Changing these factors can alter the spacing and intensity of the fringes in the pattern.

What are some real-world applications of the double slit interference pattern?

The double slit interference pattern has many practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It is used in technologies such as holography, diffraction gratings, and interferometers. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the wave-particle duality of light and matter.

What does the double slit interference pattern tell us about the nature of light?

The double slit interference pattern provides evidence for the wave-like nature of light. The fact that the light waves from the two slits interfere with each other and create a pattern suggests that light behaves as a wave. This is in contrast to the particle-like behavior of light that is seen in other experiments, demonstrating the wave-particle duality of light.